Small Christian Communities

Discussion in 'The Sacraments' started by Booklady, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Dear Friends,
    This is my first thread, and I hope I do not offend anyone by what I post, or where I post this. If so, I offer my apologies.

Something has occurred in my church that has me puzzled. Recently my church has promoted the Renew program and especially the Small Christian Communities. These communities are groups of six to ten church members who gather once a week, outside of church, to read the Sunday readings and discuss them with the group; also to gather together and chat about other readings.

I have not heard of these before, so I was wondering, do any of you have these small Christian communities in your church? If so, do you recommend these meetings? I fear that I would not be able to add much to these discussions.

Thank you for your patience, blessings,
    Booklady

Beth B, FatimaPilgrim and josephite like this.
  2. josephite

josephite Powers

If the meeting is commenced with the rosary and ended in prayer it could be a real blessing!

But than again I often wonder why there is such a need for 'bible readings' discussion groups, especially when you see rosary groups that have been inviting parishners to get together once a week for the rosary; like the one my mother started over 25 years ago and the most people that have ever participated at any one time was 5.
    Mum now has 2-3 regular participants (mum turned 80 in October last year and one of her regular rosary ladies is now 90 years old), maybe most people have been too busy with work and their lives over the last 25 years?

This has perplexed Mum as she has advertised in her Parish bulletin for over 25 years and yet other groups come and go and some get a lot of attendees to their intermittent causes!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Mac, Beth B and Booklady like this.
  3. FatimaPilgrim

FatimaPilgrim Powers

Yes, I highly recommend Renew. My wife lead a group for years. We did the whole Renew program. It led the whole group to become more knowledgeable about and stronger in our Faith buoy will basically go over and learn the whole Catechism of our Church which is a very good thing

Beth B, Booklady and josephite like this.
  4. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Thank you Josephite. No the meetings do not, they follow a booklet, which has readings, bible readings and people read and discuss these. Wonderful idea.

In our church we say the Divine Mercy chaplet and the rosary before every mass. It acts like a tuning fork for the spirit, making it in harmony with the mass.

Beth B and josephite like this.
  5. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Thank you FatimaPilgrim. That relieves my mind about participation. I was a child of the change in Catholic teaching after Vatican II, and missed out on an integral understanding of the Catechism. So, a thorough review of the Catechism is a good thing, for me, especially.

FatimaPilgrim and josephite like this.
  6. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

Please check into who began the Renew program. Be very discerning and pray first before joining in. I know there are many people who feel they have grown spiritually because of this program, and that is very good, but you need to know what is behind these "small Christian communities". I have done much research on the subject for a reason I won't go into here, but I wish to make Catholics aware of the dangers of Renew. I'm sure many will reply to this post very negatively and I would just say once again - beware, and be sure to look into who began Renew and what they are trying to accomplish. God bless and protect you.

Booklady and josephite like this.
  7. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Thank you, lynnfiat, for your candidness. You've given me much to think about. I certainly will look into this thoroughly, and pray for discernment.
    Blessings.

josephite likes this.
  8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Wish I could help you...

9. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

God Bless your mum Josephite.
    That is the perseverance that obtains Heaven.

josephite likes this.