Sisters of Life

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by TinNM, Jul 19, 2021.

1. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I think this is a very worthwhile order, I did first see them on Catholic Answers; and they do work as is reflective of their name, pro-life. I think they will give unwed pregnant women a home, maybe help them even once their children are born in the upbringing. They were founded in 1991 per Cardinal John O'Connor.

Homepage - Sisters of Life

As it says about a minute or so in, they take a fourth vow, one to respect all life, so, those born as well. They are pretty cheerful really.

From a few years ago, some who professed their first vows in 2017:

[​IMG]

Ten Sisters of Life Profess First Vows | Catholic New York (cny.org)

I believe they have branched out a bit beyond their original founding in NY.

They have a slick little magazine that comes out, one case of where I don't regret getting on someone's mailing list. Their speakers are exquisite per the right-to-life.

Watching Cardinal O'Connor, he must have really been something.

John O'Connor (cardinal) - Wikipedia

Critiques of US military actions[edit]
    Despite his years spent as a naval chaplain and admiral, O'Connor offered severe critiques of some United States military policies. In the 1980s, he condemned US support for counterrevolutionary guerrilla forces in Central America, opposed the U.S. mining of the waters off Nicaragua, questioned spending on new weapons systems, and preached caution in regard to American military actions abroad.[4][18]

This is almost my pet subject, I have some problem with the US's actions in Central America in the '80s, Communism is bad but we can not at the same time, support bad people. This is a complicated issue to just leave it at that but I had to chime in.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Michael Pio, AED, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  2. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I’ve met one of these sisters and I know her good mother. Her parents faith lead to her vocation. Beautiful family!

Michael Pio, AED, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  3. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

That's a great story Beth B. Yes, I'm fairly enthusiastic about them.

Michael Pio and Beth B like this.
  4. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I have to say, at least for the 2 magazines I have, they are pro-life (and in regards to euthanasia and so-forth) but I don't think there was even one abortion article I saw. So, they emphasize helping mothers and one would need to investigate this for themselves but it is definitely not like one opens the magazine or their other information and sees something like what we do in other sources. There was an article on forgiveness, things like that. They pray, they help but I did not see the usual. "The usual" is important too, so I'm not knocking this. They seem to be a bit gentle in their persuasion. Different.

Beth B likes this.
  5. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I don't want to give an impression that their information lacks "punch", I have not seen much else but I know the story is told how a woman contemplating an abortion found one of their brochures in the abortion mill itself and decided not to go through with an abortion.

Michael Pio and Beth B like this.
  6. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I wish to thank you again on this, I'll be, I opened up there magazine "Imprint", I think that's for Spring of this year, the K of C, Knights of Columbus print it for them. What a nice gesture.

I had a notion of the Miracle That the K of C founder Father Michael McGivney was beatified for (made blessed)... but I was not aware of a lot of the details.

I'll sort of enumerate their story, the story is of Michelle and Daniel Schachle of Dickson, TN, I think the article reads they have 12 or 13 children.

The husband of all things works for the K of C.

Anyway, they were told the news that not only was the child going to have Down syndrome, he suffered from "hydrops" if you folks have heard of that.

Well, of all things, Daniel the husband works for the Knights.

And of all things, he was going to Fatima with the K of C, pilgrimage.

So, long story short, the baby was not healed of Down Syndrome, they did not ask for that but....they did ask for healing from the hydrops ... though they were in Fatima, the husband Daniel said they were asking for Fr. McGivney's (founder of the K of C) intercession there.

And the child was healed of the hydrops, the article says related to that is "mirror syndrome" which can spread to the mother and even be fatal. This is really some story, this link disc uses it.

PRIEST SHARES FAMILY’S STORY OF “McGIVNEY MIRACLE” | KofC.org

Lots of places to read up on this.

Beth B and Sam like this.
  7. Michael Pio

Michael Pio Archangels

What a lovely photo and what a coincidence you are posting this just now. I know one of the Sisters on the photograph as an old-time friend, and finally managed to speak to her at one of her calling days just this weekend. This was after years of being out of touch, as I had always kept her in my prayers but never got round to attending one of the calling days. This Sister had helped my wife with a personal reference when my wife was applying for a permanent residence visa and was pregnant with our first child, so we are eternally grateful to this Sister.

The Sisters have a wonderful vocation, to protect life and to counsel and help women, especially those who struggle. This Holy Order is so much needed in our time. The Sisters are full of joy for life, lovely, warm, wonderful.

May God bless the Sisters of Life abundantly!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Beth B, TinNM and Sam like this.
  8. Michael Pio

Michael Pio Archangels

Your statement speaks for itself. Perhaps it is not always about punch. A soft warm love of life, supporting women, helping, being there, listening, counselling, PRAYING, this is strong.

Beth B, TinNM, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  9. Byron

Byron Powers

It’s a wonderful order. New York is so fortunate to have them. These wonderful nuns went to a wedding I was invited to. What a joy to see them there.

Beth B, TinNM and AED like this.
  10. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

They must have done a promotional tour. Some sort of tour, a few of them go on the road and speak at what seem to be Catholic Universities.

Beth B likes this.
  11. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Cardinal O'Connor certainly impresses me in what he did as well, perhaps he will be a Saint some day.

In the Spring issue, they have an article on "forgiveness" which for me, is really a pillar of the faith, it's in the Lord's prayer, we have to be forgiving. This is in a box to the article.

FORGIVENESS IN A NUTSHELL:

WHAT FORGIVENESS IS:
    1. It is letting go of a debt (something owed to me in justice)
    2. It is accepting and living in God's grace of generosity and mercy
    3. It is letting Jesus transform hurt into a blessing

WHAT FORGIVENESS IS NOT:
    1. It doesn't mean forgetting completely
    2. It's not excusing the offender (as if he/she did no wrong)
    3. It's not only about feelings
    4. It's not denying justice/punishment by authority
    5. It doesn't necessarily require interaction (e.g. the person has died)
    6. It's not necessarily entering back into relationship (not always safe or possible).
    So, that adds a bit to the conversation, forgive but... what does that truly mean? As an example, what if someone accused you of stealing something and you didn't. You forgive them for saying that but it seems like clearing the air is still important.

So, it remains a matter to think about, reflect on, contemplate still. What does forgiving entail? "Forgive us our trespasses (debts in some transations) as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Rose and Beth B like this.
  12. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Good post!

sorry…my first post here had a question mark by accident….I had intended to put a exclamation mark…not a question mark. My apologies. I hit the wrong button!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  13. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

What is written in the magazine is probably orientated to women who have suffered, been hurt, per the purposes of the Sisters of Life,

But I have to say, I don't think this definition is infallible, I think it is general guidance. Jesus never really defended Himself from my understanding, think of him before Pilate. Matthew and Luke and maybe Ephesians 4:31 too. Do you forgive "seven times seventy times"

Matthew 18:21-35 NABRE - Then Peter approaching asked him, - Bible Gateway
    “Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus answered, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.

Luke 17 NABRE - Chapter 17 - Temptations to Sin. He - Bible Gateway
    3 Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 And if he wrongs you seven times in one day and returns to you seven times saying, ‘I am sorry,’ you should forgive him.”

Ephesians 4 DRA - I therefore, a prisoner in the Lord, - Bible Gateway
    29 Let no evil speech proceed from your mouth; but that which is good, to the edification of faith, that it may administer grace to the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God: whereby you are sealed unto the day of redemption.

31 Let all bitterness, and anger, and indignation, and clamour, and blasphemy, be put away from you, with all malice.

32 And be ye kind one to another; merciful, forgiving one another, even as God hath forgiven you in Christ.
    So, Paul addresses this as well.

And then for example, sometimes I hear of lawsuits involving religious people, Catholic or Protestant, what do we make of that then??

14. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

sorry…my first post here had a question mark by accident….I had intended to put a exclamation mark…not a question mark. My apologies. I hit the wrong button!