Should I speak to my parents about my struggles with sin?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Nov 22, 2018.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Hoping to get into the Illuminative stage soon.

As I've mentioned before on this forum, I have a very poor relationship with my parents, I barely speak with them. They know only know a few things about my Faith here and there, and in regards to my struggle with sin, all they know is that I have to go to confession, almost almost every week.

Both my parents are secular, my mother may have had conservative views in the past, but now she has mostly accepted the Liberal narrative. My father is for the most part, a non-practicing Catholic and has a Neo-Con-ish worldview.

They may not understand, and may even discourage me from resisting sin. But I just wonder if opening up about this might help improve things in some way, and help me stop sinning.

2. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Take it to fasting and prayer, especially the rosary asking our Blessed Mother for the grace from her Flame of Love.

3. Mario

Mario Powers

Great suggestion, Fatima. When entering difficult or uncertain situations, prayer and fasting are great ideas. Here in the States, Thanksgiving Day would be a terrible day for fasting; or at least a difficult day to hide the fact that you're fasting! :LOL:

Safe Under Mary's Mantle!

4. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

Fatima has given you great advice.

What do you think that you are looking for from your parents? Emotional support? Spiritual guidance? If they are as secular as you say, I imagine that you might be a little let down by their response, especially as it relates to spirituality and overcoming vice.

Our parish priest highly recommends several books by Bob Schuchts. Mr. Schuchts writes about healing of the 7 deadly sins which result from 7 corresponding deadly "wounds" that many of us have. The author then leads the reader through the steps involved with healing from sin.

https://embracingyourgreatness.org/tag/dr-bob-schuchts/

Our parish did a book study on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Be-Healed-Gu...36_SY340_QL65&keywords=bob+schuchts+be+healed

Bob Schuchts also has several YouTube videos that may be worth watching, but I personally haven't viewed them.

5. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I would ask a good priest if you can find one. The only other piece of advice I would give aside from praying etc. is not to do it if you are still unsure. You can always wait a month or two or three, but once we do something we cannot take it back. I don't know the particulars of your sins and don't want to know, but if they are something that could potentially change your relationship with them for the worse then I would be cautious.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018