Saying goodbye to a retailer

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by DesertStar7, Jan 12, 2021.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 + To Jesus through Mary @-}--

Prior to 2016, I wasn't politically astute.

Wrongly figured being aware of "current events" was also being politically aware.

I've just returned from a final trip to Barnes & Noble prior to Biden's inauguration.

This B & N, at least, has a definite political slant (Leftism).

Prior to 2016, I wouldn't have noticed.

So I walked around.

Slowly glanced over all the sleek / slick books with eye-catching covers about (secular writers) forgiveness, love, letting go, positive thought, etc....

...which at one time (Protestant years) did pique my interest.

And now I fully see how human wisdom is generally human folly.

Most of these books have apparently done scant good, considering the murderous rage plaguing this country the past four years. :whistle:

I'm very grateful for the vast literature of the Catholic Church. It will be my mainstay from now on. (y)

Walking out of B & N without a purchase would've been inconceivable even five years ago. It no longer is. Aside from one title (too expensive / about the real St. Nicholas), I walked out without regret.

2. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

I love your posts. You are so honest and down to earth.

3. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Principalities

I actually haven't paid much attention to some of those books at Barnes and Noble. I usually go to the "religion" section to see about Max Lucado books. Of course, the last time I was in there, I also got one by Stormie OMartian. I'm starting reading on the second book (out of three) of hers I've recently gotten. There is a new Christian bookstore here in town I haven't been in yet, and I plan on going there as soon as I can. I try to stay away from secular books, unless I know it doesn't go against what the church teaches.

DesertStar7 and Mary's child like this.
  4. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

I try to order my books straight from the publishers i. e. Baronius Press, TAN, Mediatrix Press &c. and avoid big companies like Scamazon, Barnes & Ignoble and the like. Granted if there's a local book store in my town that I'm not aware of, I would support them, and there's also this online site call ThriftBook which I'm checking out, mainly because they seem to sell a lot classics; they might have a political slant (and/or maybe what happened on the Epiphany will cause or encourage that) but I'll wait and see for now.

DesertStar7 likes this.