Same sex marriages passed-Oh are we in for trouble!

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by Lee, May 15, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Principalities

tes ago
    SAN FRANCISCO - In a monumental victory for the gay rights movement, the California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved ban on gay marriage Thursday in a ruling that would allow same-sex couples in the nation's biggest state to tie the knot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage, the justices ruled 4-3 in striking down the ban.

Outside the courthouse, gay marriage supporters cried and cheered as the news spread.

Jeanie Rizzo, one of the plaintiffs, called Pali Cooper, her partner of 19 years, and asked, "Pali, will you marry me?"

"This is a very historic day. This is just such freedom for us," Rizzo said. "This is a message that says all of us are entitled to human dignity."

In the Castro, historically a center of the gay community in San Francisco, Tim Oviatt started crying while watching the news on TV.

"I've been waiting for this all my life," he said. "This is a life-affirming moment."

The city of San Francisco, two dozen gay and lesbian couples and gay rights groups sued in March 2004 after the court halted the monthlong wedding march that took place when Mayor Gavin Newsom opened the doors of City Hall to same-sex marriages.

"Today the California Supreme Court took a giant leap to ensure that everybody — not just in the state of California, but throughout the country — will have equal treatment under the law," said City Attorney Dennis Herrera, who argued the case for San Francisco.

The challenge for gay rights advocates, however, is not over.

A coalition of religious and social conservative groups is attempting to put a measure on the November ballot that would enshrine laws banning gay marriage in the state constitution.

The Secretary of State is expected to rule by the end of June whether the sponsors gathered enough signatures to qualify the marriage amendment, similar to ones enacted in 26 other states.

If voters pass the measure in November, it would trump the court's decision.

California already offers same-sex couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married spouses, including the right to divorce and to sue for child support.

But, "Our state now recognizes that an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation," Chief Justice Ron George wrote for the court's majority, which also included Justices Joyce Kennard, Kathryn Werdegar and Carlos Moreno.

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Marvin Baxter agreed with many arguments of the majority but said the court overstepped its authority. Changes to marriage laws should be decided by the voters, Baxter wrote. Justices Ming Chin and Carol Corrigan also dissented.

The conservative Alliance Defense Fund says it plans to ask the justices for a stay of their decision until after the fall election, said Glen Lavey, senior counsel for the group.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has twice vetoed legislation that would've granted marriage rights to same-sex couples, said in a news release that he respected the court's decision and "will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."

The last time California voters were asked to express their views on gay marriage at the ballot box was in 2000, the year after the Legislature enacted the first of a series of laws awarding spousal rights to domestic partners.

Proposition 22, which strengthened the state's 1978 one-man, one-woman marriage law with the words "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California," passed with 61 percent of the vote.

The Supreme Court struck down both statutes with its sweeping opinion Thursday.

Lawyers for the gay couples had asked the court to overturn the laws as an unconstitutional civil rights violation that domestic partnerships cannot repair. A trial court judge in San Francisco agreed with gay rights advocates and voided the state's marriage laws in April 2005. A midlevel appeals court overturned his decision in October 2006.

2. Rain

Rain Powers

If the Warning isn't coming soon, it'll only get worse at a faster and faster pace.

3. padraig

padraig Powers

Does anybody else feel like all this is a dream and can't really all be happening. Its horrible and only getting worse. I think it won't be long now....

4. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Something big has to happen because the conscience of the world is completely adrift. God is not even considered. He does not matter. Its a very difficult time for committed Christians. We must keep up our hearts and believe that God is with us. I suppose constant prayer is the only defense and weapon against the feeling of frustration and hopelessness as we look at a world going crazy.

Mary

5. Lee

Lee Principalities

I agree with lots of prayer. And fasting. It's been impressed upon me that we (read I here) are over looking the power or fasting combined with prayer. I'm not doing it enough, it's like the last stronghold for me. I'll do everything else but not that. I'm also of the belief that, as great as my desire is, I will be unable to return to Medjugorje until I am doing all that Our Lady asks me to do-with great heart.
    As for the Warning- admittedly I'm a Pollyanna but I just can't help but think that the media would pick the up Warning. I mean how could they not? it's God speaking.
    Lee

6. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Lee,
    I confess that fasting is also the last stronghold for me. I pray to get the grace and motivation to try harder. Even though I have failed Our Lady so many times I am still hopefully returning to Medugorje on 7th June God willing. I think Our Lady also said that we should stop talking about prayer and just do it. It s really needed especially for the church and the Holy Father at this time.

Mary

7. Lee

Lee Principalities

Mary, I just read this story from Children of Medjugorje( Sr. Emmanuell) and thought it was a slice of inspiration, thought I'd share. I'm so happy that you are going to Medjugorje, a dream come true.

Chiara’s blessed knee!

Last fall Anna, a young woman from Italy who works with us, stayed in our home for 10 days. Her story and perseverance deeply touched us. She tells:

“On November 29th my sister-in-law, Chiara, had a badly swollen left knee. Three different doctors gave the same diagnosis: ‘Go home and rest, it will be OK!’ As time passed, her condition quickly deteriorated. We were very worried. I tried to reassure myself and did not stop praying to Our Lady.

“That evening, her condition worsened so much that we immediately took her to Gemelli Polyclinic Hospital in Rome. When we arrived, there was not one bed available for her! After waiting tenaciously for several hours, we were offered a place in a small room, a tiny space between two beds, without a night table, lamp, or an oxygen plug. So Chiara had nothing to medically rely upon, but actually, she had everything! We noticed to our great surprise, that someone had stuck a picture of Our Lady from Medjugorje on the wall above the bed. Mary was there, waiting for us!

“On December 1st, the Head of the Angiology department told us that serious complications caused a pulmonary embolism in Chiara’s circulatory system and her hope for survival was minimal. The doctors were sure that she would die. One thousand thoughts crossed my mind then, it was urgent for me to find a solution! I stared intensely at the Blessed Mother’s picture above Chiara’s bed. I was so attracted to it! She seemed alive to me, it was like she was real! At that moment, I understood that she, the Heavenly Mother, would be our strength to get us out of this. If Chiara had one bit of chance to survive, it wouldn’t be thanks to this hospital or to its doctors, but thanks to Mary.

“A strong desire to be with Our Lady in Medjugorje took hold of me, I had to go there to pray and fast for Chiara! I called Sister Emmanuel to see how to get there that very evening. She offered that I stay with her. Without hesitation I decided to stay 10 days. As I boarded the plane that evening, my heart filled with joy. I was certain that God was with me in order to bring light into this dark situation.”

So, Anna arrived at the house that night tired, but willing to storm Heaven and earth with prayers for her sister-in-law. The news she received from home was bad: Chiara’s condition continued to deteriorate. The next day she attended the December 2nd apparition with Mirjana. Our Lady’s message (see PS1) confirmed Anna’s decision to spend those days fasting and praying. By telephone, she stayed connected with her family, explaining to them at length how crucial this message was and exhorting each one to pray and fast. Many people from all over, friends and acquaintances, demonstrated their solidarity with the family with prayers and fasting. Many, in fact, fasted for the first time in their lives! It was like a crescendo of love! Anna’s brother Antonio, in spite of many obligations, even closed his car business to stay by the side of his wife. He sent his employees home saying: “Go back home and pray for Chiara, pray even if you do not believe in God!”

Chiara’s condition stabilized. She was surrounded with love, a love which came from the presence of Jesus in prayer. Over the phone Anna and I assured Chiara saying: “Don’t be afraid, you are in the hands of God, abandon yourself to Him!” Days went by; it was intense! Each time the phone rang Anna shuddered, but she remained calm, placing Chiara’s health into God’s hands, trusting that whatever happens, it would be according to His plan. In the house in Medjugorje, Anna’s example overwhelmed us!

We were the ones who had chosen to be there precisely to live the messages and spread them. It was such an inspiration for us to see this 27 year-old-woman so determined to sacrifice herself, to remain on bread and water for so long without failing a single day! She would encourage her troops from a distance, telling them to have faith and pray in order to save this mother of three.

Only around the end of Anna’s stay with us the news came: ‘Though very weak, Chiara was out of danger!’ We cried for joy! Anna says: “The next days were days of light! My sister-in-law improved in such a short time. Her voice was joyful, and she told me that she never stopped praying, even when everything seemed to crumble. She prayed to be healed and if her life on earth were to end, to find the strength to accept the will of the Father with serenity. We spoke on the phone about the greatness of God. We promised to go on a pilgrimage to thank our Heavenly Mother who had come to our help from the very first instant. Through Chiara's illness, the grace of God touched a multitude of people, believers and non-believers. A heart touched by God will never die, even if he does not always follow the ways of God. He will always have the desire to get back on the right track.”

Anna is among those people who violently seize the Kingdom and obtain a lot from Jesus. What an example for all of us! When medicine could do no more, she took up spiritual weapons, and I believe that her sacrifice, offered with so much faith, simply saved Chiara’s life. “When someone is sick,” the Gospa said, “give that person to me. You, pray and fast, and I will take care of the sick!” Many think of praying for their loved ones who are sick but how many think of fasting and sacrificing themselves for them? If they did, there would be many more healings granted!

Dearest Gospa, what a joy for us to walk hand in hand with you,
    And to allow you to lead us to Jesus, to Heaven!

Sister Emmanuel +
    (Translated from French)

8. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Lee,
    Thanks for this beautiful story. I have been through a very difficult time since I booked to go to Medujorge just over a month ago. Everything conspiring to prevent the trip. I remember Fr Svet one time said that your pilgrimage starts the moment you decide to go. In other words the obstacles and sufferings are increased. My daughter in law had to undergo surgery for an ovarian cyst last week. She is 16 weeks pregnant and it was very risky but all seems well thanks to prayer and also Padre Pio and St Therese. I am so looking forward to this trip which I feel will be my last to Medujorge!! I will pray for your intentions there.

God bless
    Mary

9. Lee

Lee Principalities

You are truly in the Hands an Heart of Mary!
    Lee