Saint Elizabeth Seton

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by padraig, Sep 27, 2020.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

AED likes this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

There are several things about St Elizabeth Seton that I find touching and revolutionary. The first is not to use Corporal Punishment on children, bless her. In this she was Light Years ahead of her time. I recall being soundly and repeatedly beaten by teachers from very early childhood. I was a gentle and very obedient child, I was never a rebel or intending to burn schools to the ground. Our Beatings, looking back on it were quite savage and I think might have passed on a certain savagery to the poor kids that endured it.

Another thing about St Elizabeth was that she endured brutal anti Catholic Bigotry but responded to it with real love and forgiveness. As someone who has endured brutal anti Catholic bigotry all my life I am moved by this.

The actress who plays St Elizabeth, Kate Mulgrew is a hero of mine having played Captain Janeway in the Star Trek series, 'Voyager.' :):)

[​IMG]

AED, Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

It is so interesting in the lives of these nuns and priests that a very, very bad and gruesome priest or nun crawls out of the wood work to do them harm and persecute the saints. Some of the very evil indeed.

This can happen to with laypeople too who follow the good path. A neighbour, a work mate, the member of a family even. But as laypeople we can usually escape to some degree. We can even take extreme action like moving to another neighbourhood or job. Religious have usually not these options. They are stuck with these awful people. My heart goes out to them.

But on the other hand it is the baddies that seem to make the goodies. They become saintly from putting up with these thorns in the side. :) So they are not there by accident. Also the saints may well save these awful people from being sent to hell by their prayers.

Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  4. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

My son and I are hoping to go to Emmitsburg Maryland in November to visit the Seton Shrine. They have Mass and Confession and a tour of the area. I was there many years ago. St Elizabeth made a grotto with Stations and a small place to pray outdoors. I have not watched your video yet. Does it mention that she was a convert from Episcopalian?
    I’ll take photos if we get there.

AED, Jo M and padraig like this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

I used to think that Emimitburg was one of the main refuges in the USA. But I am no longer so sure. This was because it was indicated as such by supposed visionary. Now what was her name, I think she came from Texas originally? Her name is on the tip of my tongue, her of the two suns fame...

mmm....

Yes. Gianna Tallone-Sullivan. But as far as I recall she got in hot water with the local Church authorities for this and that so I switched off. But she and her husband are till very much active.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I believe she was ftom Arizona. Originally.
    Yes, I have heard of her.

7. padraig

padraig New Member

It's interesting looking at the life and seeing the Great Threads that bind her to all other Saints. The most obvious to me is The Cross. She was a hedge that was pruned by suffering so that she might spiritually thrive and grow in a particular direction. A for instance is when she became a widow with a young family and destitute so early on. This pushed her out of a well padded wealthy and assured comfort zone and out into the wilderness. It was the eviction from a life Jesus did not meant her to have. Other little boats might have sunk in such a storm , Elizabeth Seton thrived in it.:):)

[​IMG]

AED, Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Yes. I see that. And Emmitsburg was complete wilderness when she began her mission there . I marvel at that.

AED, Jo M and padraig like this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

So American, such a can-do saint. So many of these fist pioneers died out there in the middle of nowhere. The Spirit of America was forged out there in the Wilderness in the same climate that gave birth to Prophets.

Elizabeth was such a very American saint.

AED, HeavenlyHosts and Jo M like this.
  10. AED

AED Powers

What a beautiful prayer. I loved that movie btw.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.