Saint (Brother) André Bessette and the Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by TinNM, Jun 13, 2021.

1. TinNM

TinNM Guest

Apparently, the very famous and place of Pilgrimage, Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal actually helped come to be because of Saint (Brother) André Bessette. I have thought before about going there though, somewhat far. Maybe even by bus... greyhound, maybe there is some tour that goes. Actually, I just looked into it, by plane is not that much more. Thinking about it!

See the movie, linked below, the light on top of the Church, Brother Andre's Church (before the big one was built) had that lighted cross. Pardon me, if the images are very big. The lighted cross seems to be a bit of a trademark of the church.

[​IMG]

Reading on Saint (Brother) Andree Bessette: André Bessette - Wikipedia

Article on Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Saint Joseph's Oratory - Wikipedia

The building looks massive and yes, one of the largest domes in the world:

[​IMG]

Website for the Oratory of St. Joseph: Home | Saint Joseph's Oratory of MountRoyal (saint-joseph.org)

I have seen some articles call him a Porter but he was a "door keeper".... lots more to read but a friend along with Relevant Radio have talked about him quite a bit. I guess, in his healing , he often used a holy oil as seen in the movie. I would like to know what that oil is and from where....

[​IMG]

Icon,

[​IMG]

Statue at a church in New York: St. Joseph - Somers, NY (stjosephsomers.org)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saint André Bessette and Saint Joseph, Pray for us!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2021
    Sam likes this.
  2. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

I visited the oratory with my choir when I was in college. We got to sing in the chapel and wander about praying. It was very beautiful.

I didn't know about St. Andre Bessette at the time. I was just focused on St. Joseph. Recently I've learned a bit about him and received some of the St. Joseph oil and some St. Joseph medals. A couple weeks ago I placed one of the medals containing a bit of the oil on my dying FIL. The oil is from a lamp that burns perpetually before an image of St. Joseph in the oratory. St. Andre Bessette had such a strong devotion to St. Joseph be did all his praying for others through St. Joseph's intercession. He would give people his medals and have them bless themselves with the oil burning before St. Joseph and there were many miracles.

Sam and TinNM like this.
  3. TinNM

TinNM Guest

Yes, thank you Purple Flower.

I guess, one could have a votive candle lit for them as well.

I light a candle | Saint Joseph's Oratory - Gift Shop - Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount-Royal (saint-joseph.org)

The oil: Oil of Saint Joseph - 5 bottles of 60ml | Saint Joseph's Oratory - Gift Shop - Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount-Royal (saint-joseph.org) Or get a big bottle...

[​IMG]

The prices aren't too high for the most part, they sell relic rosaries, statues and much more. Things to think about. Medal with oil.[​IMG]
    Even a CD with music. CD Frère André. un homme de prière | Saint Joseph's Oratory - Gift Shop - Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount-Royal (saint-joseph.org) So, quite a few items. They really go all out.

Sam likes this.
  4. TinNM

TinNM Guest

Naturally, you can not sell items already blessed, you need to get it blessed again but I thought that "boutique" had a note, that once sold, they may bless an item and then mail it. I think I saw that there. Anyway, I don't mean to window shop on a thread, just saying. And that St. Raphael oil in the other thread seems interesting, again, something to think about. Oil Preparation – Archangel St. Raphael Holy Healing Ministry (straphaeloil.com)

That Oratory has a big picture book, coffee table book too it seems. Some landmark buildings have books that show a building pretty thoroughly, so perhaps, even if one does not go, one can still have a keepsake of the place and it'd be almost like visiting it, just without all of the travel.

5. Donna259

Donna259 Powers

I can't wait for Canada to reopen their borders so my husband and I can make this pilgrimage.....we have been waiting so long