Sacred Art is “Scary?”

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Mar 19, 2021.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Hoping to get into the Illuminative stage soon.

I just watched a video by Sensus Fidelium on the Catholic Art Company and in it, Steve at one point recounts a story of a Protestant couple visiting a Catholic guys house and later on, one of the Protestant spouses says to the other about the Catholic guy’s bedroom, “have you seen his bedroom? it’s scary;” his bedroom had one Crucifix, an image of the Sacred Heart, in image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and one other sacred image, I forget of what though.

Last week, I got into an online argument with some non-Catholics on that secular forum site I’ve mentioned before, and at one point I showed a non-Christian the video of Couronée d’Étoiles (shown below) to show a point on Catholic beliefs and practices and she called the image of Our Lady in the video “creepy,” of all things!:eek: Have you ever had non-Catholics react or express these kinds of feelings towards traditional Catholic art? I can sort of understand it a bit more with Protestant but needless to say, I find rather disturbing that non-Catholics would have these kinds of feelings and reactions towards beautiful Catholic art.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    DesertStar7 and Julia like this.
  2. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

When I was in my college years, living at home with my younger brothers and sisters, I had pictures of Jesus, Mary and the saints on all 4 walls of my room, plus some rosaries and a holy water font by the door. One of my sisters used to tell me all the time that my room was creepy. Years later, she admitted to me that while she and her boyfriend were dabbling in the occult, they both felt repelled by my room.

I'm not saying that's why those protestants find the art creepy. It could just be that horror movies do tend to incorporate Catholic images because the devil likes to invert the sacred. Perhaps those people are associating those images with horror scenes subconsciously. Such a shame.

WTW, RosaryWielder, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  3. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

While your video is beautiful, I don't think protestants would have a clue what you are talking about. The only pictures they might grasp would be pictures which also have biblical references.
    I thought this video was very well done with biblical references.

4. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

That was beautiful Julia, thank you for sharing it.

5. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

Art it a statement of emotion put into a visual presentation. In times before we had the written word it could be considered as a "newspaper" or means of communication. People generally were illiterate, so pictures would tell the story. If art is "scary", perhaps the viewer doesn't understand the story, or perhaps the image was meant to be scary. The better the artist the more impact the storyline would have on the audience. And it is difficult to portray dimensional stories on a two dimensional flat piece of paper. And of course there is good art and bad art. For the most part, our churches house good art that lifts the soul and heart to become closer to God. If someone finds good religious art to be scary, it is an opportunity for evangelization. Like that old saying, "A picture tells a thousand words".

6. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

My (still Protestant) sister is very averse to Sacred Heart imagery. She was genuinely surprised at my devotions to the Sacred Hearts, which prompted comments from her ala Stephen King. :(

AED, RosaryWielder and Sam like this.
  7. Mario

Mario Powers

Well said.:)

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

8. RosaryWielder

They weren’t Protestants, they were non-Christians, I later learned that a lot of them are dabbling in Paganism and Witchcraft.

AED likes this.
  9. Mary P

Mary P Angels

I have never considered it scary til I went to the National Cathedral in Washington DC. It has a very large mosaic over the main altar called Christ in Majesty -represents Christ at the last judgement. He looks quite stern. This picture does not do it justice. It is quite large and dominates the basilica. His arms are 18-20 ft across( going by memory). A beautiful cathedral if you ever have the chance to go. Our diocese had a pilgrimage there to celebrate our 100th anniversary. We are in Pennsylvania so took busses.

[​IMG]

PurpleFlower and RosaryWielder like this.
  10. RosaryWielder

I guess images like this, or Saint Michael vanquishing Satan would be understandable, but finding other images like those of Our Blessed Mother “creepy” is something else.

Mary P likes this.
  11. IheartMary

IheartMary New Member

To the original post, I am smiling to myself as I recall the statue that is revered by a sweet little order of Peruvian nuns that attend to our parish. It's a statue of the child Jesus holding out his bleeding heart to give to us. At first I was horrified when I first saw it! Catholic art is boldly moving! It doesn't back down. I'm so glad it is!

AED, RosaryWielder and PurpleFlower like this.
  12. andree

andree Powers

Am posting this video of a Polish artist who creates beautiful sacred art, including several works with a monstrance used for adoration. He met Saint John Paul II and was healed by his blessing. His work is beautiful, I especially love this one

[​IMG]

Here is a video about his story and some of his artwork, which is not scary!

DesertStar7, Sam, AED and 1 other person like this.
  13. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I personally believe that some innately feel a sense of genuine fear who are confronted by the gospel or by images which are holy and recollect this to their minds. Especially those who have one foot in the world or might be taking part in pagan or new age rituals and beliefs.

Paul speaking in 2 Corinthians 2

14But thanks be to God, who always leads us triumphantly as captives in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. 15For we are to God the sweet aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one, we are an odor of death and demise; to the other, a fragrance that brings life.a And who is qualified for such a task?

17For we are not like so many others, who peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as men sent from God.

RosaryWielder likes this.