Rocky

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by miker, May 3, 2024.

1. miker

miker Powers

I got a kick out of this light hearted post from Fr. Steve. Lesson is there … keep walking …

[​IMG]
    Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!
    By Fr. Steve Ryan, SDB

This article is a bit lighthearted but ordinary people like the iconic Rocky Balboa (played by Sylvester Stallone in the Rocky movies) have a lot of good things to say about life. Rocky actually can help us spiritually in the battle of life. Reflect on some wisdom from Rocky. For the best effect, put on the Rocky voice when you read them.

Here is one that is a classic motivational speech. It helps me to remember not to be a whiner or a coward when I feel overwhelmed. It’s great advice from a father to a son. Here’s Rocky giving Rocky Jr. advice in Rocky IV:

“Let me tell you something you already know... The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits and not pointing fingers, saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that, and you ain’t a coward. You’re better than that."

Here’s one from Rocky that I think of when people say your job is pretty easy as a priest:

“How ’bout I stay here, and you fight?”

At those moments when I feel overwhelmed and feel like throwing in the towel:

“Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up,” or “Going in one more round when you don’t think you can. That’s what makes all the difference in your life.”

When I think I am all alone out here, and no one is in my corner, I just say:

“ADRIANNNNNN!”

Looking back at the unbelievable things that have happened in my life, I know I couldn’t have done it without the Lord. Like Rocky who gave Adrian the credit – we can truly thank Jesus for being there with us:

“You know I couldn’t have done nothing without you… Yo, Adrian (Jesus), we did it.”

When you feel a little entitled, Rocky says:

“Nobody owes nobody nothing.”

Remember that hard work and perseverance pay off. Here’s what Rocky said:

“I am not the richest, smartest or most talented person in the world. But I succeed because I keep going and going and going.”

When you can’t see – literally or figuratively:

“Cut me, Mick!”

On being yourself and not conforming to this messed up secular culture we live in:

“I stopped thinking the way other people think a long time ago. You gotta think like you think.”

I want to be a winner for God and for the faith – don’t you? What makes a winner? For Rocky:

“I believe there’s an inner power that makes winners or losers. And the winners are the ones who really listen to the truth in their hearts.” (And the voice of God does speak deep in the hearts of all of us.)

About fear – well, it’s not always a negative thing. Weren’t we taught in Scripture that the fear of the Lord is the first stage of wisdom? Rocky sees fear as helpful too:

“You see, fear is a fighter’s best friend you know, but it ain’t nothing to be ashamed of. See, fear keeps you sharp, it keeps you awake you know, it makes you want to survive. You know what I mean? But the thing is, you gotta learn how to control it, all right? ‘Cause fear is like this fire, all right? And it’s burning deep inside.”

Finally, we are all going to die one day. Life is one round after another and if we feel like quitting we have to hold on! God is calling all of us to just keep on fighting and loving. Rocky knew it:

“‘Cause all I wanna do is go the distance.”

LMF, "Quis ut Deus" and Pax Prima like this.
  2. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" ADMIN Staff Member

Ill add one..

When satan and its minions in this world knock you down...get right back up and scream out loud " Ain't so bad"

AED and miker like this.
  3. miker

miker Powers

I’ve thought of this one :

You're gonna have to go through hell, worse than any nightmare you've ever dreamed. But when it's over, I know you'll be the one standing. You know what you have to do. Do it.

We all know what happens at end. Christ has already secured the victory. We know what have to do. Not easy. But we know.

I remember having a big decision to make many years ago and I asked my Dad for advice. He was brilliant in his answer. He did not give me the specific way to go but simply said…. Mike you know what is the right thing to do. So now just go do it.

perfect advice! Miss my dad

"Quis ut Deus", AED and LMF like this.