Rethinking our lives

Discussion in 'The Spirit of the USA' started by Mark Dohle, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Archangels

rethinking.jpg

Rethinking our lives

In this time of crisis is allowing the community to also rethink our own lives and how we live out our community values as monks. It is making us more aware of our connection with the world, and how we need to connect through prayer and to be available to those we know and love who live near us.

Everything in this world is fragile, can easily break and die. As we are seeing now with the whole world seeming to stop. Sports canceled, restaurants closing, empty highways during rush hour, this is making us think about what is really important in our lives.
    Perhaps it is a fearful thing to be 'forced' into this position, yet, this seems the way we grow as individuals, societies, and yes because the world is now so small, as a world.
    So do not be afraid at this time to look honestly on life, and see what is actually making for misery, isolation, and addiction.--Br.MD

2. Mario

Mario Powers

You propose a difficult task, Mark. Most people are now isolated by the choice of our governments.

On the other hand, restrictions on my ability to serve at nursing homes has cut my hours significantly, too. So I find much more time to be with my wife, Geralyn, and communicate with neighbors. This "quarantined" phenomenon has shrunk my world. Things are not too hard currently which creates a sense of calm. But it is the calm before an horrific storm.

The economic outlook is ugly and will soon produce disastrous results because the monetary system is in its death throes. In 2008, it came very close to collapsing, but I fear it will not escape this time. When this occurs probably by years-end, we will literally be forced to look honestly on life, and see what is actually making for misery, isolation, and addiction.

It will be a frightening time, but also a opportunity par excellence for Christians and others of good will to show our true colors. May God sustain us all with His Mercy and providential care.

I have loved you with an everlasting love and am constant in my affection toward you! (from Jeremiah)

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you!

3. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Archangels

Yes, we do bring our 'chastisements' on ourselves. In our community, most of us are older, I am 71, so there is a chance this may be my last year. A sobering thought, and one that leads to a deeper trust in God.

Peace
    Mark

Beth B likes this.
  4. Mario

Mario Powers

A good attitude, Mark.:cool: In situations like this, my macro-personality runs amok, while like you, my wife Geralyn's micro-personality keeps the boat afloat!:D:rolleyes:
    Peace,

Mario

Mark Dohle and Beth B like this.
  5. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Archangels

It is good to have others in our lives, we all play a role. Prayer always.

peace
    Mark