Rescue

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by padraig, Jan 15, 2016.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

2. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

:eek::eek::confused::confused::mad:

We know the truth ;););)

3. josephite

josephite Powers

I'm Irish Australian to the core and yes my Ancestry dates back to the first fleet of 1788, where both my great, great, great grand parents and I think another great (is needed) were convicts!

But they, the convicts, loved the place and built a mini empire after recieving a Governers pardon.

The Catholic story of Australia is so amazing.

We were not allowed to have a priest; so Australia started with only one priest from Ireland who was sent back to Britian after only a few months, and the Catholic convicts did not have a priest for over 20 years until the british establishment relented and allowed a Catholic priest to come and administer to the Australian Catholics!
    Amazingly in Sydney town, they had a consecrated host left by the first priest and this Most Holy Host (the body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord Jesus) was venerated and adored secretly by Catholics for over 20 years and the host never decayed!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    RoryRory, Sanctus, Katfalls and 4 others like this.
  4. miker

miker Powers

Great history and great story! It seems so many places on this Earth owe a great deal to the Irish Catholic priests of Ireland. They helped spread the faith not only to Australia, but the U.S. and many parts of Africa. It's sad what has happened in Ireland, but I truly, truly believe God is not finished with Ireland. Yes, like here in the U.S., it may seem bleak, but God will not turn His back on this island that in many ways saved civilization and helped spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    RoryRory, Sam, kathy k and 2 others like this.
  5. josephite

josephite Powers

Just watched the catalpa rescue.

Brillant!!

No wonder I feel such a visceral link to my ancestors:notworthy:

6. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Very true here's another song from christy moore referencing the famine..

7. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

I happened on a UTube video by Marino Restreppo last night and it has given me Great Hope for Ireland.

Sorry, I can't remember which one. I think it was recorded at a testimony in Birmingham, UK in 2014.

Anyway, Marino Restreppo says he visits Knock every year. He says in the UTube video that he believes Knock was a Heavenly vision preparing us for the times of a great 'Spiritual Famine' that would happen, and how our Lady will come to our rescue.

I can't help thinking a 'Spiritual Famine' well describes what is happening on a global scale right now. God forbid that it should get any worse.

I believe Marino Restreppo is writing books about it. In case you have not heard of this man. He is a Colombian man who was 'reverted' by Our Lord, because he had stopped practising his faith since his youth. Had a near death experience with 'Illumination' after being kidnapped by rebels in his home country some years ago. And he shares his testimony with the Church's approval.

Sanctus, kathy k and garabandal like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

I think all the Marian sites right across the world and down the centuries are Noah's Arks, which we can flee to in times of need.

THat is one of the reasons why Mary is appearing so often and in so many places to provide such Arks.

If anyone has to flee, let him flee to the Feet of Mary, at a Marian Shrine.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  9. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Yes and my people also owe our faith to Ireland. They came to Nova Scotia about 1850.

10. maryrose

maryrose Powers

My great great grandfather was deported to Australia with his two brothers but he eventually managed to return.The story goes he brought a gold nugget back with him and from this he had wedding ring made for his wife. He married when he returned. The ring is still kept by a branch of the family. His brothers never returned.

josephite and padraig like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

I think if my memory serves me right a very large graveyard in Nova Scotia where all the people aboard a famine ship are buried, they all pretty well died just before they landed or onboard they were so hungry. I think there was a song about it.

I must check. There were hundreds of the poor souls.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  12. padraig

padraig New Member

He must have had a very special mission from God to be returned to Ireland.

13. Texas Mama of 2

Texas Mama of 2 Moderator

Padraig,

I was blessed to visit Knock with my parents during my only trip (so far!) to Ireland in 1994. We could feel the Blessed Mother's presence there very strongly. I gave my offering for Masses to be said there for one year, with a special intention requested. Then I went to the chapel and asked the Blessed Mother if she would please talk to Our Lord (again!) about sending me a good Catholic husband (my special intention). Back home, I purchased a rosary with a drop of water from Knock inside the joining medal and kept praying. Fifteen years later, Our Lady sent me a fine Irish lad and he's the most wonderful husband and Dada to our two little girls! Knock is a very special place to me! :)

Beth B, Denise P, Katfalls and 2 others like this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

She was in no hurry!! But worth waiting for, I'm sure.

One thing I notice about Marian Shrines (and Holy Places in general is that they all have a special character , just like people they are all different.

I think Irish sites in general have a...I don't know quite how to put this, I may be taken wrong. A kind of evening, side to them. By this I mean that there is often a very strong emphasis on penance and the Holy Souls, they tend to be in very remote, beautiful spots. Its kind of like they are forcing you to climb a cliff rather than walk up a gentle hill if you know what I mean. It is as if they are places where God inteneds to give people a good kick up the ass!! Which knowing the Irish is perhaps just what we need. I think the Irish like a fight and the shrines tend to be wrestling places, or battle fields.

Italian shrines on the other hand seem to me much more gentle and kind of family places, for instance.

The Irish tend to see things very black and white and I think their shrines reflect this.

Julia and RoryRory like this.
  15. Indy

Indy Praying

Fields of Athenry

The Fields of Athenry
    Pete St. John

By a lonely prison wall
    I heard a young girl calling
    Micheal they are taking you away
    For you stole Trevelyn's corn
    So the young might see the morn.
    Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay.

Low lie the Fields of Athenry
    Where once we watched the small free birds fly.
    Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing
    It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

By a lonely prison wall
    I heard a young man calling
    Nothing matters Mary when you're free,
    Against the Famine and the Crown
    I rebelled they ran me down
    Now you must raise our child with dignity.

By a lonely harbor wall
    She watched the last star falling
    As that prison ship sailed out against the sky
    Sure she'll wait and hope and pray
    For her love in Botany Bay

16. padraig

padraig New Member

I think it is fair to say of Nations as it is of people that the more they are nailed to the Cross the closer they are to the Sacred Heart, for they lie on the Cross beside him.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Beth B and Indy like this.
  17. garabandal

garabandal Powers

My Dad singing Danny Boy at the WW1 commemoration 2013 at the Ypres memorial

18. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

I haven't heard of that although it is certainly possible.

19. padraig

padraig New Member

Katfalls likes this.
  20. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Yes I guess I don't know my history very well. That would be about 800 km from here . We are in Cape Breton.Nova Scotia. My ancestors came earlier in 1829. I remember a teacher telling us how faithful they were to the Mass. ----- more or less saying they had their faults but would never miss mass--- it was so important.