Receiving Communion - hand or tongue

Discussion in 'The Sacraments' started by Bartimaeus, Dec 26, 2021.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

There is something very, very weird in all this.

Very, very spooky.

Carmel333, HeavenlyHosts and Beth B like this.
  2. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Yes, both priest have issues. As I said, one was removed for questions surrounding a sex scandal. The other is a extreme liberal…extreme. I avoid him like the plague.

Carmel333 and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  3. padraig

padraig Powers

Yes their behaviour was illogical.

Beth B likes this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

On the Old Rite/ Liturgy generally I can understand people not like it. That's up to them. It's a matter of personal choice and taste.

But personal animosity and hatred, wanting to eradicate it seems to me spooky and makes me wonder where it comes from...

You might like this , which has just been published. :):):)

Beth B likes this.
  5. Whatever

Whatever Powers

I've been thinking lately of returning to receiving in the hand. I was one of those who was very pleased when Communion in the hand was introduced. It's only in the past few years that I have come to realise how much harm it did and now I receive on the tongue whenever I can. But, and it's a big but for me, I'm so awkward about getting it right (a throwback to my childhood) that "getting it right" has become such a major distraction and I believe has a negative impact on my disposition for receiving the Lord.

padraig likes this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Well, receiving Our Lord properly will always bring about Holy results.

Beth B and AED like this.
  7. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I love the Old Rite…the traditional Latin mass. It is so reverent. I go to both NO and Latin. I have to wonder why it is being suppressed especially since it is growing…or was, with large young families while the NO is void of so many young families…

8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

This was very good Padraig. This is a favorite devotion of mine. Thank you.

9. Ang

Ang Archangels

I have never attended a Latin mass and have been really wanting to. I suppose a little fear of the unknown is keeping me away. I just returned home from mass (liturgy for Palm Sunday). It was a very difficult mass to get through. Our church had a fire a few months ago, so we have been having mass in the school gym while they are redoing the church. It has been a very hard transition. No kneelers and it really just doesn’t feel like mass. I know I am receiving the Eucharist and participating in the mass which is so important to me. Today we had a man playing a ukulele. And the music was awful, so awful. It didn’t feel in anyway like mass.
    We just returned home from vacation in Tennessee and I attended mass there and it was just amazing. I hate to say that I felt pretty sad to be back in my church. I have been attending this church since I was in elementary school. Anyway, the closest church that offers Latin mass is 45 min drive. But maybe I will give it a whirl. Sit in the back and take it all in. I have a feeling it will feel glorious.

And to top it off. While a woman was receiving the Eucharist today, she dropped it on the school gym floor. I have never seen that happen. And what a coincidence that I saw it today after reading this thread!! I am sure she dropped it because she was messing with taking her mask down and then back up…. Stupid masks…

Beth B and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

God bless you, Ang. I understand completely. We had to change parishes (came back to our old parish a half mile from our home) because the music director had her teenage son playing a full set of drums during a Christmas Eve liturgy in 2020.:eek:

Ang and Beth B like this.
  11. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Oh Ang,
    I can surely sympathize with all of this.
    Palm Sunday is a very special day and although the mass you attended fulfilled your mass obligation, it just isn’t the same…and yes, the music makes all the difference!
    Latin Mass from my home is about 40 minutes away, but I love it and it’s worth the trip. The choir makes you feel as though you’re in a different world…it’s awesome! Absolutely nothing like your typical NO mass music.
    There are so many young families it’s shocking. We have books to translate the mass so even if you do not know Latin, you can follow along. Communion is the most reverent, beautiful part of mass…always receive on the tongue kneeling at the altar rail.
    It is almost as those you are at a completely different catholic mass. Twelve altar boys accompany two priest on the altar…you truly feel how special the holy sacrifice of the mass is….as it should be.
    Maybe it’s not for everyone, but it definitely is for me. No chance for any liturgical abuse at a Latin mass….imho.
    I hope someday you can experience it for yourself because it’s very hard to describe. It’s a added blessing that this church is beautiful! It a pre Vatican II church with the high altar, marble surrounding, stain glass windows, etc. just awesome!
    It’s a sin that there is a effort to restrict it….you have to wonder why ….

Re the mass you just attended: The host falling onto the floor is all too common. If for no other reason, communion on the tongue lessens this possibly…and why don’t they use a patin (spell? )?
    Is it too much trouble to treat our dear Lord with some small amount of respect? It’s no wonder people have lost their belief in the real presence…even the church doesn’t show or demand this simple measure of protection of the blessed sacrament at a NO liturgy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Ang and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  12. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Ohhh HH! Drums! I attended a mass like that…it was horrible. Distracting is the kindest thing I can say about it!

13. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

It was about the third time it happened . I emailed the director the first time and said that the praise music sounded great, for a concert setting in the gym. I also emailed my pastor there at the time,
    it was so irreverent. After the third time, my husband and I changed parishes. Much much better now!

Ang and Beth B like this.
  14. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Well, to your credit….you did try to correct this before leaving HH. I’d had never realized how awful drums were unless I’d heard it for myself. Ours were playing loudly as we were receiving communion…it’s was border sacrilegious. I wanted to just walk right out. You did the right thing..
    Sorry you had to leave your church, but you really had no choice. See, these are the reasons people leave…abuses like this that don’t occur at a Latin mass.

Ang and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  15. Ananchal

Ananchal Vigilans

I love the traditional Latin Mass :love: and while I normally go to a NO mass I do try to go as often as I can to the TLM mass but it is not close to me. :( I do find it ironic though, the church with the TLM is in another diocese and is a newer modern church while the NO mass is in an older very traditional church. (n) I feel more at home in the modern church with the TLM than the traditional church with the NO mass. I wish I lived near an FSSP parish :oops:

I will say that kneeling does make receiving on the tongue much easier than when standing. ;)

HeavenlyHosts, Ang and Beth B like this.
  16. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

“do find it ironic though, the church with the TLM is in another diocese and is a newer modern church while the NO mass is in an older very traditional church”….oh my, that’s is ironic!
    Like you, I generally only get to Latin once a month…never enough to take it for granted!

I like the holy sacrifice of the mass without surprises!

HeavenlyHosts and Ananchal like this.
  17. padraig

padraig Powers

We can, all of us, only do what we can.:) I notice at the 1960's Mass some people kneeling down and receiving on the tongue. But I would die of embarassment to do such a thing. Though I very much admire those who do kneel.

It would be a pity on an occasion of great joy to feel pressured in anyway. The Eucharist is meant to be a Wedding Feast.:)

Whatever, HeavenlyHosts and Ang like this.
  18. padraig

padraig Powers

The Old Mass is a little like Whiskey, an acquired taste.:)

One thing that has helped me with it is to have a Missal. I have also download the, ' Imissa' app which gives the Mass in both Latin and English, a great help. One thing help with the Old Mass, I have found is to make time for it. The Liturgies tend to be a lot longer and I have found being relaxed and able to drink it all in a great help. So I found it great for holidays and time off work.

Mostly though I still hit the Novus Ordo, it is great for a busy life. They have a 7am mass which is great, the Traditional Mass is not until 7'pm whee I am mostly sleeping.

At all Masses I try to find a place far away from others were I can have a quiet prayer. If a homily is awful heretical I block it off, even holding my hands over my ears. Though I have to say I have not yet heard heresy at the Old Mass.

The Mass of the Ages...

[​IMG]

HeavenlyHosts, Ang and Beth B like this.
  19. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

What a beautiful picture Padraig!
    And, I must admit that unless there were a altar rail, I could not kneel, I could only genuflect. If I got into a kneeling position without something to hold onto, I might still be there:D

HeavenlyHosts and padraig like this.
  20. padraig

padraig Powers

That is true too!

But at Mass in a especial way and at prayer generally I love to be alone and ignored, not a point of interest. Jesus said that when we pray we should go to a room and be alone at prayer.

When the Arcangel Gabriel came to Our Lady he, of course found her alone. The impression I get of Our Lady that she was a very private , deep person. The last thing I would want is to be a subject of attention.

Even when we are in our Catholic Family, say, saying the Rosary together we at the end of the day are alone.

I think I love this about the Old Mass is that encourages this one to one relationship. The 1960's Mass places more underlining on the collective, which I dislike. However even in the New Mass I find ways of being more alone.

Pentecost, the founding of the Church finds Mary and the Apostles together in prayer, but having done so draws them to differing spaces. The Apostles are drawn to preach and Convert. Mary, on the other hand seems to be drawn to prayer and service.

[​IMG]

Dusica, ClareG, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.