Question re: capitalizing pronouns refering to the Virgin Mary

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by BrianK, Jul 5, 2014.

1. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Hi folks,
    I have a quick question. I am in the process of editing a short book of reflections on the Sacred Heart for a friend. Throughout the book the author capitalizes pronouns that refer both the the Persons of the Trinity as well as the Blessed Virgin Mary. This is obviously proper for the Trinity, and in ages past it may have been done in reference to the Virgin Mary, but I don't know if it is appropriate now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Oops, not sure if I put this in the correct forum?

3. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

Sorry someone on the forum qualified hasnt answered your question. Some certainly could. My own schooling ended at the tender age of 15.
    But at least in spirit, I am sure capitals are good? Can we show to much respect?

BrianK, Eamonn and Allyd like this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

I personally, would not. I think it would be a little over the top and best resrved for God. But of course it is mostly a matter of taste.

5. Mac

Your right ,of course Padraig. I have consulted my wife[ex school teacher] and as usual she has confirmed I am wrong.:censored:

6. Blue Horizon

Blue Horizon Guest

I believe a proper noun or any title (regardless of personage) is capitalised.
    "Blessed Virgin Mary" is usually a title so capitalised.

Even the "Virgin Mary" is usually a title so capitalisation would seem appropriate as would "the Virgin."

In the NT we hear about "the virgin Mary" because this is not a title but a description I suppose.

Catholic Answers may help
    http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=815807
    or not!

7. Mac

Aren't we talking pronouns BH?

8. davidtlig

davidtlig Guest

Mac, you are not wrong. Although you discount the authorship of True Life in God, here is Jesus speaking about Our Lady:
    I the Lord honour My Mother; let it be known to those who offend Her that She is the Queen of Heaven and that on Her Head I the Lord placed a crown, a crown of twelve stars; She reigns beloved and this is written in My Word; I honour My Mother and as I honour Her you should honour Her;
    http://www.tlig.org/en/messages/170/

BrianK likes this.
  9. andree

andree Powers

I also do some translation work and capitalize all titles and pronouns for Our Lady.

10. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Thanks for everyone's input! It looks like this is more a matter of personal preference than following any specific style guidelines or rules.

11. miker

miker Powers

12. Blue Horizon

Blue Horizon Guest

Sorry, thanks for the correction.

I agree, to the best of my knowledge only God/Jesus gets the big "H".