Pride...it's so insidious

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by DesertStar7, Apr 6, 2021.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}--

Throughout life I've not considered myself a prideful person, but recently aspects of PRIDE in my heart and mind have become apparent to me.

Example: My sister's husband (Russell) is holding a grudge that care of our elderly mother falls to Susan. This is 1,300 miles from me. For years Mom expressed a desire to live near ME, but after Susan decided she and son would stay put in Iowa, Mom stayed there.

Today Russell was curt with me on the phone (Susan's; she couldn't answer). I asked him a polite question. He ignored it, and set the phone down (call still connected).

To his mind, it's my fault Mom's in Iowa (she's an adult of sound mind). :rolleyes:

So after today's brush-off, I found myself again thinking: What is his problem? I'm married 28 years. I take good care of my disabled husband; been through lots of seizures, a mild stroke, and now occasional falls. Have paid my dues in life! I make $____ per day, which is probably Russell's HOURLY wage.

Etc., etc.

And then it came to me: "That's pride talking. What or why Russell doesn't matter, you've got to forgive and love him regardless. What you've achieved doesn't matter, you've got to forgive and love him. THAT is all that matters."

:coffee:

Ananchal, AED, Carmel333 and 2 others like this.
  2. andree

andree Archangels

This is so true and a Grace when these things are shown to us.

Beating down the monster of pride, the big ME, is the toughest battle there is. It's the only time I ask my angels to bring out the big spiritual bazookas and AK47s, to help me assault, kill and destroy my pride.

DesertStar7 and Beth B like this.
  3. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Oh gosh...you are where we all should be! I get your whole story here. Most would be left angry ...yet you’re choosing to love and forgive. A very, very good lesson for all of us.....as hard as it may be. Thank you for helping me readjust my own perspective! I have similar circumstances.

4. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

You are really doing a great job rooting out pride and are soring to the heights! You are a great example to us all!

DesertStar7 likes this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

What a greatgrace you received!

DesertStar7 likes this.
  6. Ananchal

Ananchal Vigilans

You are a better person than me. I can SO relate to your brother in law. I’m trying to be better but I fail on a regular basis

DesertStar7 likes this.
  7. DesertStar7

Mom (80) resides in her own apartment.

Susan's son (young adult) resides with her, so Anthony living with Mom does relieve quite a bit of the burden. He's also tall and brawny; one look at him deters trouble. :D Good for Mom's safety. (y)

Ananchal likes this.
  8. DesertStar7

Likely others here have read this book LONG before I came to know of it (this morning). I will read it. One reviewer wrote:

"This book really pricks the ego...my prideful heart did not want to continue reading...however it is a wonderful display of God's will for my life...highly recommend reading this book but rest assured it hurts considerably."

Yesterday another realization of pride in my heart. So this is meant to be; to come across this book now. :)

Abandonment.jpg

Sam likes this.