praying for the dead

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by PotatoSack, Sep 26, 2013.

1. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

I did this for my dad on Sunday. I hope I was detached enough from my sins. I will probably re-do for him on DM sunday unless I get a big sign from him that he's made it. I wish I got signs like Padraig gets from those he has prayed for. I can only request such a grace and hope for the best.

2. kathy k

kathy k Guest

I'm reading "The End of this Present World" and it is truly wonderful! https://archive.org/details/TheEndOfThisPresentWorldAndTheMysteriesOfTheLifeToCome

Found this reflection on the paralytic by the side of the pool in the section on Purgatory:

"Nevertheless he was by no means afflicted with an

incurable disease. For him to be cured there was no need

to consult skilled doctors, or to search the- valleys and

mountains for medicines, or strange and rare herbs. It

was enough to give him a little push and put him down into

the pool at the time when_ the angel of the Lord descended

to stir its waters. Yet, in a town as populous as was

the capital of Judaea, amidst the mass of pilgrims who came

from every part of the world for the feasts, there was not

one relative, not one friend, to render him such an easy

service...What a striking picture this unhappy

paralytic gives us of the soul whose complaints I have

described! They sit by the side of the pool of that blood

which has saved the world. They have no power to gather

up its fruits, or to administer the vivifying drops to

themselves; and it may be for years that they have implored

us in vain, and have been tortured, for lack of a helping

hand."

Mario likes this.
  3. Mario

Mario Powers

Kathy,

Such a insightful analogy of a familiar scripture passage! Thank you!:)

Safe in the Flames of the Sacred Heart!

4. Fatima

Fatima Guest

SteveD, this is an AWESOME truth!!

5. SteveD

SteveD Guest

We still have today and tomorrow to seek plenary indulgences for the poor Holy Souls. (See conditions above).

6. SteveD

SteveD Guest

Bump
    Last day of the Octave for the Holy Souls until NEXT YEAR. One more chance!

7. WTW, AED, SteveD and 3 others like this.
  8. Sam

Sam Powers

9. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Sam, AED and Jo M like this.
  10. AED

AED Powers

11. Fede

Fede Principalities

This is from the Vatican- because of covid the plenary indulgence is for the entire month of November! This is great for our loved ones but we can take advantage of this every day in November but I believe you need to also go to Mass.

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatic...ry-indulgence-faithful-departed-november.html

PotatoSack, Carol55, WTW and 4 others like this.
  12. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Bless you Fede, for this link, I just read that even those of us who are homebound can obtain this plenary the indulgence.

The homebound
    For anyone who cannot leave their home for various reasons, including anti-Covid restrictions, they too can obtain the Plenary Indulgence by “uniting themselves spiritually to other members of the faithful”. In this case, the condition of being “completely detached from sin” and the intention of completing the other requirements for obtaining a Plenary Indulgence remain. These conditions are Sacramental Confession, reception of Holy Communion and a prayer for the Holy Father’s intentions.

The Decree suggests that such prayer take place before an “image of Jesus or the Blessed Virgin Mary”. Among the various prayers that are recommended are “prayers for the deceased, Morning or Evening Prayer from the Office of the Dead, the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, meditating on various Gospel passages proposed for the liturgy of the Dead, or completing a work of mercy by offering to God the suffering and discomforts of one’s own life”.

What a wonderful blessing.

AED, Sam and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  13. AidanK

AidanK A great sinner

My spiritual director told me that if the soul for whom we pray has passed on to heaven, then our prayers benefit the most needy souls. I love this thought.

14. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Yes a beautiful act of spiritual charity.

15. AED

AED Powers

Me too.

16. Mario

Mario Powers

Yes, I've been taught the same.(y)

17. Fede

Fede Principalities

You're so welcome ! We are all here for each other.

Just not sure if vitual Mass and spiritual communion would be permitted..
    If anyone knows...I'd like to pass it on to others.

Booklady likes this.
  18. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

Thank you for posting this Wbtw.:love:

I'm just bumping this for those who might have missed it and I'm also posting the whole article here:

upload_2020-10-31_13-34-14.png

VATICAN

Decree extends indulgence for the faithful departed throughout November
    The Apostolic Penitentiary announces modifications to the Plenary Indulgence for the deceased during the month of November.

By Sr Bernadette Mary Reis, fsp

Many of the Church’s pastors have requested an adaptation to the requirements to obtain the Plenary Indulgence for the deceased in the month of November. Thus, “by the special mandate of His Holiness Pope Francis”, the Apostolic Penitentiary released on Friday some changes to the normal practice. The Decree containing these modifications was signed on 22 October, the liturgical memorial of Pope St John Paul II.

Plenary Indulgence during month of November
    Due to the coronavirus pandemic and the need to avoid large groups from forming where prohibited, the Plenary Indulgence applicable to thedeceased by those who visit a cemetery has been extended beyond the normal dates of 1 to 8 November. This year, the indulgence can be obtained by anyone who visits a cemetery, even if only mentally, on any day in November, and devoutly prays for the faithful departed.

Plenary Indulgence for Feast of All Souls’ Day
    Regarding the Plenary Indulgence attached to All Souls’ Day, 2 November, this year, it can be obtained not only on the preceding or succeeding Sunday, or on the actual Feast day, but on any other day of the month chosen by each member of the faithful. In this case, the indulgence is obtained by “devoutly visiting a church or an oratory”, along with the recitation of the Our Father and the Creed, and the other requirements associated with a Plenary Indulgence.

The homebound
    For anyone who cannot leave their home for various reasons, including anti-Covid restrictions, they too can obtain the Plenary Indulgence by “uniting themselves spiritually to other members of the faithful”. In this case, the condition of being “completely detached from sin” and the intention of completing the other requirements for obtaining a Plenary Indulgence remain. These conditions are Sacramental Confession, reception of Holy Communion and a prayer for the Holy Father’s intentions.

The Decree suggests that such prayer take place before an “image of Jesus or the Blessed Virgin Mary”. Among the various prayers that are recommended are “prayers for the deceased, Morning or Evening Prayer from the Office of the Dead, the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, meditating on various Gospel passages proposed for the liturgy of the Dead, or completing a work of mercy by offering to God the suffering and discomforts of one’s own life”.

Invitation to Priests
    Directing a word to priests, the Decree asks that they make the Sacrament of Confession generously available and that they make Holy Communion available to the sick. In addition, all priests are invited to offer three Masses on All Souls’ Day.

Topics
    23 October 2020, 12:00

PS - I'm still physically going to the cemetery tomorrow to pray for my dad, grandmother and grandfather.

19. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

20. Mario

Mario Powers

Fede,

In and of themselves this would not suffice. The understanding is that one would fulfill the requirements of Holy Mass and Confession as soon as possible. So for any Catholic who still lives in a Diocese with serious lockdown, fulfill those requirements you currently can, commit yourself to fulfill the rest as soon as you are able; then do them as soon as you are able.:D

God, the saints, and souls in purgatory live outside of time; the benefit to those you pray for are "immediate" in the sense that God knows of the ultimate fulfillment of what His Church requires. The Lord lives in the eternal now; rather theological, isn't it, since we are finite creatures and we think almost always linearly, as in a timeline.

Think of all the prayers directed to Our Lady on one day. How can she handle them all? That question is asked by those of us who dwell in time. In eternity, such "difficulties" don't exist! Hooray!:ROFLMAO:

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Fede likes this.