praying for the dead

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by PotatoSack, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Rain

Rain Powers

That leaves out pretty much everybody over the age of seven. Who here doesn't have some vice, some ongoing attachment to sin?

2. Mac

Mac Guest

This is true Rain,but we must try,and obtain at least a partial indulgence for them.Remember on All Souls day itself, you just have to visit a church,and can go in and out as often as you wish.

3. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

Post #4 of this very thread addresses this. The pertinent part of the post is:

The requirement for someone to be totally detached from sin needs some explanation. No doubt it is the most difficult condition for obtaining the indulgence. Notably, however, the requirement is not freedom from all sin. Rather, it is freedom from attachment to sin; that is, that there is no sin which the soul is unwilling to renounce. A person should be able to tell if he is fulfilling this condition. An attachment involves a refusal to amend a situation, and a person should be able to tell if he has such an attachment. Sometimes, deep down, we really don’t want to let go of certain sins, be it gossiping or overeating or loafing on the job. This differs from the case of normal human weakness or where a person falls into the same sin many times before overcoming it. To souls such as these the Church is ready to open her treasury of aid.

The way I read it, if you are holding onto a sin, not acknowledging it and/or working on getting rid of it in your life, then you are attached. But if you are aware of it, confessing it, and working on it...then you are not attached to it.

I don't think I'm attached to my vices, as I'm constantly working on them with a few days of success and many days of failure...but I'm working to root them out of my life. So I don't think I'm attached to them. I remember earlier in my life when I was and didn't want to remove them from my life. So, I do feel a difference between working to remove them vs. knowing they are not what God wants but selfishly and pridefully holding on to them.

sunburst likes this.
  4. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere...and it could be on my part...but what I understand Andy to have said was that the only time you could ever gain a plenary indulgence for a soul in purgatory was with the All Souls indulgence. I was trying to explain that any plenary indulgence you gain at any point in the year can be offered for a soul in purgatory.

5. Mac

Mac Guest

Some souls in purgatory cannot be helped? Our Lady told Sr Lucia about her friend.'.Lucia asked about two young women who had died recently, and was told that one was in heaven and the other, her friend Amelia, would be in purgatory "until the end of world.

She did not ask Lucia to help shorten her friends purgatory.Amelia was only 14years old!!!

Lord have mercy on me ,a miserable sinner.Perhaps if I help souls in purgatory now,I will recieve help in my time of need.

Thomas likes this.
  6. SteveD

SteveD Guest

I've mentioned this before but the Rorate Caeli site has organised the services of 36 priests who make a daily offering of the TLM for the souls of any of those names sent to them. They encourage people to 'be greedy' and send every name possible to them. Please see

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/search/label/Purgatorial Society

sunburst and Miriam like this.
  7. Fatima

Fatima Guest

Rosa, you are correct. All indulgences, whether plenary or partial, can be offered towards oneself or for the poor souls in purgatory. The Year of Faith, is one opportunity to make a plenary indulgence, but there are many other times the Church has granted for certain prayerful activities throughout the year as well. The hard part is not trying to find opportunities in doing so, it is in remaining free of sin, even venial sin, for the whole day in order to gain the plenary indulgence.:rolleyes:

8. HI RAIN! WE HAVE MISSED YOU! :D

9. "Every soul in the world has a price tag on it, and since many cannot or will not pay the price themselves, others must do it for them. There is probably no other way to account for the conversion of some souls than the fact that in this world, as in the next, their parents, relatives, or friends interceded to God and won for them the prize of everlasting life." ---
    Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Heidi, Miriam and FoundSoul like this.
  10. FoundSoul

FoundSoul Angels

What a wonderful thing to say. I this this Board is doing that - trying to save ourselves and others as well.

11. bona fide

bona fide Angels

12. Miriam

Miriam Archangels

It was cemetary Sunday at Forthill in Galway today. Visited my dad's grave and asked the Lord to apply the Indulgence to his soul, hopefully he's already in Paradise and that some other poor soul will benefit from the Lord's treasures of the Church. . Eternal Rest grant unto them O Lord.

sunburst likes this.
  13. padraig

padraig New Member

There is a Legend in the Jewish Faith, mirrored in the Catholic one that there are a small group of people save the world from being destroyed. In the Church we speak of Victim Souls like Blessed Alexandrina who spend their lives on the Cross for others.

http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2009/11/blessed-alexandrina-da-costa-mystic-and.html

[​IMG]

Part of this grace , this economy of grace of course runs down to the souls in purgatory.

Somehow when I think of this I always think again of mothers and grandmothers. Have you ever been in Church and seen in old mass books wads of little requiem cards ?It is so clear that these people have been praying for these folks for years maybe all their lives!! Wonderful thought to have gone to Purgatory and have someone up here who never ever forgets.

14. padraig

padraig New Member

Which reminds me of my own mothers card. Somehow I cannot find a lot of push to pray for her soul as I feel an inner certainty she is already in heaven. I was out walking the dogs by the sea yesterday and suddenly I felt the sudden presence of many of my deceased relatives nearby watching me, fondly. Why they come and go like this who knows ? Maybe they were having a little party up there and were talking about me and decided to have a little look at how I am doing :) I am glad they do.

St John Crysostom says a wonderful thing about our dear dead.

'Those who have gone before us are no longer with us as they once where but are with us all the time and everywhere.'

http://friendsofthepoorsouls.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/what-saints-say-about-purgatory.html
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Miriam

Miriam Archangels

I remember listening to one of Michael Voris' talks on Purgatory and one of the questions he was asked was, 'How long should we pray for our departed loved ones?' His reply - until we meet them again! :)

16. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Padraig. On the other side there is no veil. Our loved ones see through the eyes of God!

17. SteveD

SteveD Guest

Please note that the condition for a plenary indulgence relating to attachment to venial sin DOES NOT apply to the plenary indulgence available on the Feast of Divine Mercy. So you can be sure of obtaining one on that date as long as other conditions are fulfilled.

18. SteveD

SteveD Guest

From Taylor Marshall's blog
    How to Spring a Soul from Purgatory in 4 Easy Steps

By Dr. Taylor Marshall
    Purgatory and Indulgences. There’s a lot of confusion out there. Here’s the Catholic Church’s official teaching on how to spring a soul from Purgatory from November 1-8.
    According to the current Enchiridion of Indulgences, one can apply a plenary indulgence to a departed soul by the “visitation of a cemetary” {Coemeterii visitatio} from November 1st till the 8th (i.e. the octave of All Saints).
    [​IMG]
    Here’s the official text:
    13. Visit to a Cemetery (Coemeterii visitatio)
    An indulgence, applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory, is granted to the faithful, who devoutly visit a cemetery and pray, even if only mentally, for the departed.
    The indulgence is plenary each day from the 1st to the 8th of November; on other days of the year it is partial.
    In order for the indulgence to be plenary, the following conditions must also be met along with the visit and prayers at the cemetery:
    1. Sacramental confession within “about twenty days”[1] of the actual day of the Plenary Indulgence.
    2. Eucharistic Communion on the day of the Plenary Indulgence.
    3. Prayer for the intentions of the Pope on the day of the Plenary Indulgence.
    4. It is further required that all attachment to sin, even venial sin, be absent.[2]
    Taking young people, particularly teenagers, to cemeteries to pray for the dead is a wholesome thing. Young people are not usually aware of their mortality. It’s a good thing to recognize the tombs of the dead…and pray for them.
    Perhaps our culture’s fascination with death and horror movies is related to the fact that young people are isolated from death and prevented from attending funerals.

sunburst likes this.
  19. Rain

Rain Powers

I've been lurking, but not posting. It's nice to know I'm missed though. Thanks to those who answered my question.

20. SteveD

SteveD Guest

Please don't forget that the Plenary indulgences for the Holy Souls are available until the 8th of the Month. So let's get some more souls into heaven (or at least a great deal closer to it).

Helping the Holy Souls is a sure way of obtaining the special intercession of the saints.