Prayers for Upcoming Memorial Service

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by Mario, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Mario

Mario Powers

I ask for your prayerful support. It sadly is the norm now to be contacted by a Funeral Home to conduct an in-house service for a deceased Catholic. Fr. Francis often turfs this to me when it entails no funeral Holy Mass. But too frequently, the deceased was non-practicing, a nice person well loved by family and friends. The assumption, unfortunately nowadays, is that this translates into a free ticket to heaven.:whistle::cry:

Thus, a most difficult balance between compassion for family and friends, yet calling them on...

It is not the time for fire and brimstone; even still less is it a time to pretend all is hunky-dory. So what I will share is the truth of Christ, His Easter victory, but His requirement as Lord that we surrender our lives, our struggles, our desires into His hands: the doorway to Mercy (sacramental life).

Lord have Mercy!

LMF, Jo M, Byron and 8 others like this.
  2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

This is a delicate situation indeed. You are in my prayers.

Jo M, Byron, miker and 6 others like this.
  3. bflocatholic

bflocatholic Powers

4. AED

AED Powers

I recall Mother Teresa's sisters responding, upon her death, when asked " of course she is in heaven?"
    Replied: "Mother waits upon the mercy of God"

Jo M, Sam, Byron and 5 others like this.
  5. Mario

Mario Powers

Yes, AED, to wait upon the mercy of God; if no one at the funeral home expresses the desire to offer up a Holy Mass, I will make sure one is.

Eternal rest grant unto James, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the Mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen!

LMF, Jo M, Sam and 5 others like this.
  6. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

I recently found out that you don't have to be Catholic to have a funeral service in the Catholic church. My husband and I were discussing this because he is not Catholic and he seemed so at peace when I asked him if he would like that. He said yes . . .and I think it gave him some hope. He will be 81 this year. So if that helps you, we all have a job to do and you have your calling.

Jo M, Sam, Mary's child and 6 others like this.
  7. AED

AED Powers

I am very glad to hear this! I am in a similar situation.

Jason Fernando, Jo M, Sam and 3 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

You are brave and honest, Terry. I don't envy you. People nowadays won't accept the least correcfion. Prayers.

9. Jo M

Jo M Powers

I am glad that you addressed this topic. I recently attended a wake/funeral for a life long Catholic. A priest came to the funeral home, said a few words about the deceased and we joined him in prayer. I assumed we would be heading to the church afterwards for the funeral Mass, but I was shocked to discover the procession went directly to the cemetery, and then on to a restaurant for a reception. I had no idea that this was trending at Catholic funerals, and I wondered how clergy felt about these funeral home services. I can't imagine it would be the wish of a lifelong Catholic to omit the funeral Mass, so this decision may rest with family members. As a result, I am going to have a conversation with my children that both my husband and I would want a funeral Mass. God bless you Mario, I wouldn't know where to begin in a situation like this. Prayers.

Sam, garabandal, Mary's child and 3 others like this.
  10. Ed Kleese

Ed Kleese Servant

I understand. Prayers for you my Brother, and the deceased, and the Word in your homily.
    Peace. Ed

Sam, Mary's child, Jo M and 2 others like this.
  11. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

It’s in our will to have a funeral Mass .

Sam, Mary's child, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  12. Seagrace

Seagrace Archangels

Agree. The wake service might be the only time non practising Catholic attendees ( and others) hear that being a Christian means to choose Christ in everything ‐ in big ways and in small, in the easy things and in tough situations. That it's not about what feels right to me as much as it is about doing what God has willed for me. Perhaps the wake service is the only time some will hear that the Christian journey is indeed marked by struggles and loneliness because to choose Him means to be set apart from the world. And yet, that will be where we encounter true joy.

Sam, Mary's child and AED like this.
  13. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

I am wanting the opposite. No funeral home just go directly to church for a funeral mass, put me in the ground, and go feed whoever shows up.

Sam, Mary's child, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  14. AED

AED Powers

That would be my preference.

Sam, Mary's child, Jo M and 2 others like this.
  15. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

I was told by a priest to put it in your will as he had a very devout Catholic in his parish and the children would not have a funeral mass. So sad.

Sam, Mary's child, Jo M and 1 other person like this.
  16. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Yes, it is sad. I think it happens more than we know.

Sam, Mary's child, Jo M and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Agree, just the Mass and burial. The funeral home is a big NO for me.

Sam, HeavenlyHosts and Mary's child like this.
  18. Jo M

Jo M Powers

:cry: Good advice, RR & HH. I think I might also include a request for Masses in lieu of flowers.