Poem and Paintings

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by DesertStar7, May 22, 2020.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

Brushing heaven's vault
    so often, Medieval
    angels' rainbow wings.

(c)

Paintings by Jan van Eyck
    (1390-1441)

I was surprised to see this feature in any Medieval art.

Attached Files:

2. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

In the church I attend we have a five ft. Reproduction of the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb by Jan Van Eyk. I will find a copy and post, I took my camera to church and copied it. The original is in Belgium, it us called the Ghent Altarpiece. It is the second most viewed artwork next to the Mona Lisa. It us stunning.

DesertStar7 likes this.
  3. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

I didn't know that.

Yes, I'm sure - to see it in person, reproduction or original.

4. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

The name of the church I attend is St.Agatha in Bay Minette, Al. The following is an article I wrote regarding the artwork, and I'm including a copy of it.

Adoration Of The Mystic Lamb

In the city of Bay Minette, located inside of St. Agatha Church resides an oil painted copy of a very famous painting. The 53”x95” hand painted copy of The Adoration Of The Mystic Lamb is the bottom center panel of the complete work known as the Ghent Altarpiece. The original painting was done by two artists, Hubert and Jan Van Eyck in 1425 in Ghent, Belgium. The Dutch painters were commissioned to create the altarpiece with 12 folding panels measuring 11x15 feet. Recently the panel, The Adoration Of The Mystic Lamb , has been receiving world wide attention due to an extensive restoration process. The layers of over painting and over retouching throughout the centuries had masked a remarkable brilliant and detailed painting. The Netherlandish renaissance masterpiece has been hailed as a stupendous piece of religious art and considered one of the greatest masterpieces over painted.
    The 12 panels, called a polyptych, have an eventful history. In 1815 the local Bishop pawned six of the painted panels for 240 pounds. This was the first time any part of the sections of the painting had left the quaint town of Ghent. They were later sold in 1816 to an Englishman, Edward Solly, for 4,000 pounds, and he then sold them to the King of Prussia for 16,000 pounds. They later were sold to a gallery in Germany, the state run Germaldegalerie in Berlin. After World War I they were returned to Belgium as part of the Versailles Treaty (1919). Fearing the Nazis in 1940, the government of Belgium sent the altarpiece to the Vatican for safe keeping. When Italy declared war, the polyptych was diverted to Pau in the French Pyrenees. The Germans promptly seized them in 1942 where they were stored in a castle in Bavaria. After, they were taken from the castle and stored in a salt mine, and were finally liberated by American troops. They now reside in the Cathedral of St. Bavo, in Ghent, Belgium.
    When Father Jim Morrison was pastor of St. Agatha Church in Bay Minette he wanted a piece of artwork in the church that would inspire the parishoners about St. Agatha. The Adoration Of The Mystic Lamb had all the elements of great liturgical art and a representation of St. Agatha in the painting. Father Morrison also wanted a classic piece of art, not just a computer generated rendering of the masterpiece, but a hand painted copy of the original. He found a company, First Art Gallery, that creates museum quality hand made oil painting reproductions. The finished painting has the brilliance and texture of an original oil painting.
    St. Agatha, one of the most highly venerated virgin martyrs of Christian antiquity, was put to death during the persecution of Decius (250–253) in Catania, Sicily, for her determined profession of faith. Fifteen-year-old Agatha, came from a rich and noble family and made a vow of virginity. She rejected the amorous advances of the low-born Roman prefect Quintianus, who thought he could force her to turn away from her vow and marry him. His persistent proposals were consistently spurned by Agatha, so Quintianus, knowing she was a Christian during the persecution of Decius, had her arrested and brought before the judge. He was the judge. He argued, threatened, and finally had her put in prison and had her tortured. She was stretched on a rack to be torn with iron hooks, burned with torches, and whipped. Among the tortures she underwent was the cutting off of her breasts. After further dramatic confrontations with Quintianus, Agatha was then sentenced to be burned at the stake, but an earthquake saved her from that fate; instead, she was sent to prison where St. Peter the Apostle appeared to her and healed her wounds. Agatha died in prison, probably in the year 251. Saint Agatha is the patron saint of rape victims and breast cancer patients,. She is also considered to be a powerful intercessor when people suffer from fires. Her feast day is celebrated on February 5.
    When looking at the panel, Adoration Of The Mystic Lamb, in the upper right is a group of women martyrs that include St. Agatha. The women carry palm leaves as a symbol of their martyrdom. At the top of the painting in the center is the Holy Spirit, represented as a dove with torrents of golden graces flowing from it. The landscape of the city is Jerusalem. The four groups in the painting move towards the altar of the mystic lamb (the Eucharistic sacrifice symbolizing Jesus) from whose heart blood flows into a chalice. The altar is surrounded by fourteen angels and set in a fertile meadow hedged with bushes. In center front is the octagonal fountain of life, which spills the “pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out to the throne of God and of the Lamb” (Revelation 22:1).
    On the bottom right, are the Twelve Apostles, followed by Popes and other clergy and other martyrs. St. Steven is shown carrying the rocks of his martyrdom and the landscape is dotted with flowers. In the upper left is a procession of Bishops and Cardinals. The bottom left are a group of kneeling Jewish prophets and behind them a collection of pagan philosophers and scholars from all over the world, as evidenced by their different styles of headgear.
    The original, residing in Belgium, hundreds of years after it was painted, it is still the second most viewed painting in history. Art historians considered, The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb, as “one of the cultural cornerstones of the Netherlandish Renaissance.” It is rich in Catholic symbolism and evokes beauty and wonder.

Kathy Falls, Master Photographer, Master Artist, Master E.I., Ph.Craftsman
    Professional Photographers of America Professional Photographers of Michigan, Life Member
    Gulf Coast Professional Photographers Association North Baldwin Chamber of Commerce
    Stapleton, Alabama

Works cited:
    David Clayton, blog https://www.thewayofbeauty.org/blog...iece-what-makes-it-so-suited-for-the-liturgy/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent_Altarpiece
    Gardener’s Art Through The Ages 1996 p. 656-659
    https://www.1st-art-gallery.com/Jan-Van-Eyck/The-Ghent-Altarpiece-Adoration-Of-The-Lamb-1425-29.html 1st Art Gallery

Attached Files:

Jackie likes this.
  5. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

Very well done, Katfalls! Its history seems as rich and lavish as it.

I didn't know that St. Agatha features in it. Have recently read a brief biography.

I recall having read that Jan completed a painting which his brother Hubert had begun, if I'm recalling that correctly. Checked Wikipedia: "Jan seems to minimize his contribution in favor of his brother, who died six years before the work's completion in 1432."

Thank you so much for sharing your article. :love: