Plenary Indulgences and Other Promises List

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by Andy3, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

I thought it would be nice to get a list going of all the devotions and prayers we can do to help others or ourselves earn Plenary Indulgence. Add to this where you all see fit:

1. Magnificat: Indulgence of 3 years if recited daily for 1 month - Preces et Pia Opera, 291

2. Ave Maris Stella: Indulgence of 3 years if recited daily for 1 month - Preces et Pia Opera, 292

3. Litany of The Blessed Virgin: Indulgence of 7 yrs if recited daily for 1 month - Preces et Pia Opera, 290

4. The Brown Scapular: The Sabbatine Privilege
    The Sabbatine Privilege is a special promise extended to all who wear the scapular and are enrolled in the scapular. The privilege was approved by Pope John XXII, and was later confirmed by Pope Gregory XIII, Pope Clement VII, and Pope St. Pius V. The privilege states that those souls who keep the necessary requirements of the privilege will be released from purgatory by Our Lady the Saturday after they die. The requirements are: 1.The scapular must be worn and the wearer must be enrolled in the scapular. 2. Chastity to one's state in life must be observed. 3. One must fast from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays. 4. You must recite the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin or the rosary everyday.

5. 15 Prayers of St. Brigid of Sweeden: Promises

1. I will deliver 15 souls of your lineage from Purgatory.
    2. 15 souls of your lineage will be confirmed and preserved in grace.
    3. 15 sinners of your lineage will be converted.
    4. Whoever recites these Prayers will attain the first degree of perfection.
    5. 15 days before your death I will give you My Precious Body in order that you may escape eternal starvation; I will give you My Precious Blood to drink lest you thirst eternally.
    6. 15 days before your death you will feel a deep contrition for all your sins and will have a perfect knowledge of them.
    7. I will place before you the sign of My Victorious Cross for your help and defense against the attacks of your enemies.
    8. Before your death I shall come with My Dearest Beloved Mother.
    9. I shall graciously receive your soul, and will lead it into eternal joys.
    10. And having led it there I shall give you a special draught from the fountain of My Deity, something I will not for those who have not recited My Prayers.
    11. Let it be known that whoever may have been living in a state of mortal sin for 30 years, but who will recite devoutly, or have the intention to recite these Prayers, the Lord will forgive them all of their sins.
    12. I shall protect you from strong temptations.
    13. I shall preserve and guard your 5 senses.
    14. I shall preserve you from a sudden death.
    15. Your soul will be delivered from eternal death.
    16. You will obtain all you ask for from God and the Blessed Virgin.
    17. If you have lived all your life doing your own will and you are to die the next day, your life will be prolonged.
    18. Every time one recites these Prayers they gain 100 days indulgence.
    19. You are assured of being joined to the supreme Choir of Angels.
    20. Whoever teaches these Prayers to another, will have continuous joy and merit which will endure eternally.
    21. There where these Prayers are being said or will be said in the future God is present with His grace.

6. Seven Sorrows of Mary: Promises
    To St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373), Our Lady directly reveals the amazing graces granted by her Son for all those who daily pray seven Hail Mary’s while meditating on her seven dolors and tears:
    1. “I will grant peace to their families.”
    2. “They will be enlightened about the Divine Mysteries.”
    3. “I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.”
    4. “I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.”
    5. “I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.”
    6. “I will visibly help them at the moment of their death—they will see the face of their mother.”
    7. “I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.”

St. Alphonsus Liguori testifies to complementary revelations given by Our Lord to St. Elizabeth of Hungary (1207-1231) where He further promises four special graces to those dedicated to the sufferings of the co-redeeming Mother:
    1. That those who before death invoke the Blessed Mother in the name of her sorrows, should obtain true repentance of all their sins.
    2. That He would protect in their tribulations all who remember this devotion, and that He would protect them especially at the hour of death.
    3. That He would impress upon their minds the remembrance of His Passion, and that they should have their reward for it in Heaven.
    4. That He would commit such devout clients to the hands of Mary, so that she might obtain for these souls all the graces she wanted to lavish upon them.

...to be continued....

2. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

7. The Stations of the Cross: Promises
    1. I will grant everything that is asked of Me with faith, when making The Way of the Cross.
    2. I promise Eternal Life to those who pray from time to time, The Way of the Cross.
    3. I will follow them everywhere in life and I will help them, especially at the hour of death.
    4. Even if they have more sins than the blades of grass in the fields and the grains of sand in the sea, all of them will be erased by The Way of the Cross. (Note: This promise does not eliminate the obligation to confess all mortal sins, and this, before we can receive Holy Communion.)
    5. Those who pray The Way of the Cross often will have a special glory in Heaven.
    6. I will deliver them from Purgatory, indeed if they go there at all, the first Tuesday or Friday after their death.
    7. I will bless them at each Way of the Cross, and My blessing will follow them everywhere on earth and, after their death, in Heaven for all Eternity.
    8. At the hour of death I will not permit the devil to tempt them; I will lift all power from him in order that they will repose tranquilly in My Arms.
    9. If they pray it with true love, I will make of each one of them a living Ciborium in which it will please Me to pour My grace.
    10. I will fix My Eyes on those who pray The Way of the Cross often; My hands will always be open to protect them.
    11. As I am nailed to the Cross, so also will I always be with those who honor Me in making The Way of the Cross frequently.
    12. They will never be able to separate themselves from Me, for I will give them the grace never again to commit a Mortal sin.
    13. At the hour of death I will console them with My Presence and we will go together to Heaven. Death will be sweet to all those who have honored Me during their lives by praying The Way of the Cross.
    14. My soul will be a protective shield for them, and will always help them, whenever they have recourse.
    The plenary indulgences that one may gain by making The Stations of the Cross may be applied to a soul in purgatory for immediate release. Or it can be applied to yourself to receive the benefits of a Plenary Indulgence.

The Stations of the Cross is the second greatest prayer after the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

The Stations Of The Cross can be treated as a Novena.

A "Calvary" is making the stations of the cross for thirty days consecutively. It has-the power to save a soul from purgatory.

The Stations of the Cross can be made in honour of the feast days of Our Lord, Our Lady, or even in honour of the feast of the dedication of a basilica; and the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus; All Saints Day, Nov.1; All Soul’s Day Nov.,2. And they can be made in honour of any of the saints on their feast days. Etc..

Ask your Guardian Angel to accompany you at each Way of the Cross.
    As many Saints will appear at your grave as many times as you make the Stations of the Cross.

PotatoSack and Indy like this.
  3. Indy

Indy Praying

I came across this one recently.

Devotion to the Drops of Blood Lost by our Lord Jesus Christ on His Way to Calvary

To all the faithful who shall recite for 3 years, each day, 2 Our Fathers, 2 Hail Marys and 2 Glory Bes in honor of the drops of Blood I lost, I will concede the following 5 graces:

1st: The plenary indulgence and remittance of your sins.
    2nd: You will be free from the pains of Purgatory.
    3rd: If you should die before completing the said 3 years, for you it will be the same as if you had completed them.
    4th: It will be upon your death the same as if you had shed all your blood for the Holy Faith.
    5th: I will descend from Heaven to take your soul and that of your relatives, until the fourth generation.

Blessed by His Holiness Pope Leo XIII in Rome, April 5, 1890.

Miriam likes this.
  4. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

I tried to do this a few years ago... after a few weeks I kept forgetting to say the prayers :(. How awful, maybe I will try again.

5. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

If at first you don't succeed try try again! I love it. I feel if I make it part of my morning prayer routine it will be a success. I awake every morning with the morning offering prayer then various others but this seems very reasonable to do when my feet first hit the floor in the morning.

Miriam likes this.
  6. Miriam

Miriam Archangels

I started it this morning, it was added to my morning offering before getting up! It will be completed in May 2017.

Indy and Adoremus like this.
  7. Mystical Rose

Mystical Rose New Member

The devotion to the drops of blood lost is a false apparition. It comes from the letter "True Letter of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ". I found out it was false from the website if Our Lady of the Rosary Library. You can read the 'letter' yourself. It reeks of a false apparition.

The 15 Promises of St. Bridget I am skeptical of as well. But every other set of promises posted here are real.

8. Indy

Indy Praying

When you say false apparitions, can you give more detail? I'm not going to stop these daily prayers even if I hear I won't be granted the promises I hardly deserve anyway.

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/John23/j23pb.htm

There seems to be much evidence both of these devotions are true, plus don't they promote a serious amount of badly needed prayer.

Andy3 likes this.
  9. Charity

Charity Mercy

1.Wanted to also add: The Rosary

Whosoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.
    Signal Graces are those special and unique Graces to help sanctify us in our state in life. See the remaining promises for an explanation for which these will consist. St. Louis de Montfort states emphatically that the best and fastest way to union with Our Lord is via Our Lady [True Devotion to Mary, chapter four].

2.I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
    Our Lady is our Advocate and the channel of all God's Grace to us. Our Lady is simply highlighting that She will watch especially over us who pray the Rosary. (seeLumen Gentium chapter VIII - Our Lady #62) [a great more detail is available on this topic in True Devotion to Mary, chapter four, by St. Louis de Montfort]

3.The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin and defeat heresies.
    This promise, along with the next, is simply the reminder on how fervent prayer will help us all grow in holiness by avoiding sin, especially a prayer with the excellence of the Rosary. An increase in holiness necessarily requires a reduction in sin, vice, and doctrinal errors (heresies). If only the Modernists could be convinced to pray the Rosary! (see Lumen Gentium chapter V - The Call to Holiness #42) St. Louis de Montfort states "Since Mary alone crushed all heresies, as we are told by the Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit (Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary)..." [True Devotion to Mary #167]

4.It will cause good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for Eternal Things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
    This promise, along with the previous, is the positive part, that being to live in virtue. Becoming holy is not only avoiding sin, but also growing in virtue. (see Lumen Gentium chapter V - The Call to Holiness #42)

5.The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.
    Since Our Lady is our Mother and Advocate, She always assists those who call on Her implicitly by praying the Rosary. The Church reminds us of this in the Memorareprayer, "... never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession, was left unaided ..."

6.Whosoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of Eternal Life.
    This promise highlights the magnitude of Graces that the Rosary brings to whomever prays it. One will draw down God's Mercy rather than His Justice and will have a final chance to repent (see promise #7). One will not be conquered by misfortune means that Our Lady will obtain for the person sufficient Graces to handle said misfortune (i.e. carry the Crosses allowed by God) without falling into despair. As Sacred Scripture tells us, "For my yoke is sweet and my burden light." (Matthew 11:30)

7.Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
    This promise highlights the benefits of obtaining the most possible Graces at the hour of death via the Sacraments of Confession, Eucharist, and Extreme Unction (Anointing of the Sick). Being properly disposed while receiving these Sacraments near death ensures one's salvation (although perhaps with a detour through Purgatory) since a final repentance is possible.

8.Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the Light of God and the plenitude of His Graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the Merits of the Saints in Paradise.
    Our Lady highlights the great quantity of Graces obtain through praying the Rosary, which assist us during life and at the moment of death. The merits of the Saints are the gift of God's rewards to those persons who responded to His Grace that they obtained during life, and so Our Lady indicates that She will provide a share of that to us at death. With this promise and #7 above, Our Lady is providing the means for the person to have a very holy death.

9.I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
    Should one require Purgatorial cleansing after death, Our Lady will make a special effort to obtain our release from Purgatory through Her intercession as Advocate.

10.The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of Glory in Heaven.
    This promise is a logical consequence of promises #3 and #4 since anyone who truly lives a holier life on earth will obtain a higher place in Heaven. The closer one is to God while living on earth, the close that person is to Him also in Heaven. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states "Spiritual progress tends toward ever more union with Christ." (Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 2014)

11.You shall obtain all you ask of me by recitation of the Rosary.
    This promise emphasizes Our Lady's role as our Advocate and Mediatrix of all Graces. Of course, all requests are subject to God's Most Perfect Will. God will always grant our request if it is beneficial for our soul, and Our Lady will only intercede for us when our request is good for our salvation. (see Lumen Gentium chapter VIII - Our Lady #62)

12.All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
    If one promotes the praying of the Rosary, Our Lady emphasizes Her Maternal care for us by obtaining many Graces (i.e. spiritual necessities) and also material necessities (neither excess nor luxury), all subject to the Will of God of course.

13.I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.
    Since Our Lady is our Advocate, She brings us additional assistance during our life and at our death from all the saints in Heaven (the Communion of Saints). See paragraphs 954 through 959 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

14.All who recite the Rosary are my Sons, and brothers of my Only Son Jesus Christ.
    Since the Rosary is a most excellent prayer focused on Jesus and His Life and activities in salvation history, it brings us closer to Our Lord and Our Lady. Doctrinally, Our Lady is our Mother and Jesus is our Eldest Brother, besides being our God. (see Lumen Gentium chapter VIII - Our Lady #62)

15.Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
    Predestination in this context means that, by the sign which is present to a person from the action of devoutly praying the Rosary, God has pre-ordained your salvation. Absolute certainty of salvation can only be truly known if God reveals it to a person because, although we are given sufficient Grace during life, our salvation depends upon our response to said Grace. (See Summa Theologica, Question 23 for a detailed theological explanation). Said another way, if God has guaranteed a person's salvation but has not revealed it to Him, God would want that person to pray the Rosary because of all the benefits and Graces obtained. Therefore the person gets a hint by devotion to the Rosary. This is not to say that praying the Rosary guarantees salvation - by no means. In looking at promises #3 and #4 above, praying the Rosary helps one to live a holy life, which is itself a great sign that a soul is on the road to salvation. (See also paragraphs 381, 488, 600, 2782 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.) In fact, St. Louis de Montfort says even more strongly that "an infallible and unmistakable sign by which we can distinguish a heretic, a man of false doctrine, an enemy of God, from one of God's true friends is that the hardened sinner and heretic show nothing but contempt and indifference to Our Lady..." [True Devotion to Mary, #30]