please pray for this job lead

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by PotatoSack, Jun 11, 2012.

1. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

thanks everyone for your continued posts here, as it helps me to shake this latest disappointment in the job search off. SteveD, I started the novena to St. Joe last Wednesday, so I'm almost done. I prayed to him for about a month in March a year ago. Perhaps the time is right for him to answer my prayers now. But I said it with as much confidence and specificity as I could!! Jayne, your novena will be right after I finish the St. Joe one! GrimiSocks, I'm still praying for you!

MCalling - thanks for the post and it was great to hear from you again. I'm glad things are going so well for you and you are really finding yourself. Oh, and to be blessed with locutions from God...how wonderful in an earth shattering way that is!! I've had a few (although never with a vision). I think we will all have such experiences as times get tougher and events start to spiral on us. I will also pray for your friend Melanie, that she finds something soon.

In terms of your questions...I have never been married and have no kids. So, I'm all on my own regarding this. so as far as I can tell, my vocation is to be single, which also means I have to work to support myself. There is no one in my family who has money to give me, I must support myself. In terms of moving on from what I have done for a living and trying something new...that's actually what I have been doing for the past 6 months or so. I hadn't submitted a resume for the line of work I had been doing for quite some time when this call came out of the blue. So, I will continue to look for a new career elsewhere and have asked God to shine a spotlight on the path He wants me to go, since right now it's tough to tell where I should focus. but I'm open to my old career, a new career...whatever God has in mind for me to do. But I do need for Him to reveal this to me in some, way, shape or form. I've even been so bold as to tell Jesus in adoration the ball is in His court...He needs to tell me which direction to go...a direction that will be His will for me. This job was not His will for me so I need Him to reveal to me which direction He wants me to go. that's when I really wish I had a locution like you and He'd just tell me!

As far as my thoughts being too narrow in what I felt God was revealing to me, I believe you are absolutely correct. God's view is big-picture and right now I can't even see beyond the hand in front of my face. After removing all the negative thoughts I had about God waiting for me to be perfect (thanks Mario!), your post, and posts about conversion from Garabandal & Padraig in other threads, I've prayed more about what He was trying to reveal to me about abandonment, self-denial, etc., and I really think that this cross is about my conversion. For the longest time I denied I had been called to be an apostle for these times, and I procrastinated in taking my conversion seriously. So now, I think I'm getting a crash course in conversion (meaning the 5 stones of Medj) and learning to trust God before this time of grace runs out. But I did this to myself...this is the bed I made. My attitude was when the time got closer and the signs were more prominent, I would just step up my prayer life, go to confession more, etc. I thought it would be that easy. But true conversion is very, very hard and I understand now why it is said in Medj not to wait for the sign to convert and convert now. Those who wait for the sign will not have time to fully convert, as conversion is not easy. I am finding that out right now!

mothersuperior7 likes this.
  2. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Still praying for you and for all on this board!

3. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

Hi,
    I am back for at least one session...busy busy busy. How is is going, Potatosack?
    So I am done with my EIU courses and high school officially started this week. Things have taken some amazing turns, and I am so busy I feel like I am still at EIU with its gruelling schedule. I still pray for you, Potatosack, that God will call you to what he wants you to "do", be it s new job, or something else. Mary's advice to not wait is so true, but I don't listen to it either sometimes. I keep putting things on back burners these days. I have put my Franciscan journey on the back burner right now. Juct can't fit it into my schedule or into my brain at the moment. BUT even though I have done that, it still keeps resurfacing. It helped me with my current job path...this I cannot deny. So God is telling me to still keep working at it no matter how little. So I will.

Have you gone on a retreat by yourself? I think that helped me connect with God more than anything else I ever did. It was on these retreats that he gave me some clear signs that helped me move on. (Like that book about vocations hidden in a book about Mary falling at my feet.) Find a convent or a monestary where you can go for 2-3 nights, or even a week, for not a lot of money. Almost every one of them welcomes visitors, even if they don't advertize it. Somewhere where you can join in vespers and lots of daily prayer, and when you are in your room, have it out with God. Talk to him like he is sitting there with you. Walk on the grounds. Nobody needs to know where you are going unless you want to tell them. Just tell people you are visiting a friend so they don't ask you questions. I found that family members sometimes don't understand why you find it helpful to go to a place like this. And it is hard to answer their questions when you don't know yourself what you will get out of it. Sometimes God waits for us to make the next move...I have learned that lately that's for sure! God will give you a lead soon, I know it!

4. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

Hi MC -
    No, I don't have any new leads. But to be honest, since my dad has gotten sick, I haven't had much time to look at all. He's in a cycle of being hospitalized...going home....feeling good for a few days...going downhill...being hospitalized...going home, etc. That's been the cycle for the past 6 weeks and at the moment he is back in the hospital. So my free time has been spent dealing with this and helping my Mom (who can't drive long distances and the hospital he is at is 1.5 - 2 hours away). So, I just haven't had the time to dedicate to the job search. I feel guilty that I can't look more, but I'd feel more guilty if I wasn't spending time with my parents.

I did take your advice on the retreat and it was such great advice!! I really needed to spend a day alone with the Lord to think about my future. I am at such a crossroads from a career perspective, and just don't know which way to go. I didn't go on an official retreat, but just spent a quiet day at a Marion retreat center with an interesting connection to visionary Maria Esperanza (http://www.betania2.org/about-us/) and then a nearby Fatima shrine (http://holliston-hopkinton.patch.com/listings/our-lady-of-fatima-church-and-shrine#photo-2086859). It was actually a lot of praying time more than reflection. Since it was a weekday, no one else was really around, so it was great. The Fatima shrine doesn't look like much from the road, but I got a tremendous amount of peace while praying there. I didn't get any great insight into which way to take my career, but the insight I got was that I'm not trusting my future to Jesus. I need to just pick a direction and just go and not worry about if it's the right career path, not worry about possible rejection, not worry about where I am going to live, not worry about money, not worry about my parents etc. Just leave all that to God. It's so much easier said than done!! But thanks for the advice on taking a day off on my own. I know I got a lot of graces from God in that one day alone and I felt such peace that lasted several days!

5. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

I don't mean to hijack PS's thread but I feel what I'm about to say ties in with the sentiments expressed here.
    I'm struggling with my faith now, not that my faith was strong in the first place. I've been to two job interviews in the last two weeks. One of those interviews, they were looking to fill six positions. They interviewed on two days, so I'm calculating that they could have interviewed 8/9 people at the most as the interviews were for an hour duration (there was a written part to it before the actual interview). So, that's 16/18 people and six were to be picked. I rated my chances as very good. Thing is, there were three ladies on the interview panel, one of the interviewees is very good friends with the area services manager of the service where I was dismissed.
    I've said my prayers, I've been to Novena's to beat the band, I've prayed to whoever was recommended to me. I joined a prayer group, sang (despite my shyness), praised His holy name. Started to regularly go to mass, prayed to Our Lady, said the Rosary, Miraculous Medal prayer, Prayer to Our Lady of Lourdes, prayed to St Joe's 30 day prayer,the Divine Mercy prayer is part of my daily routine etc etc etc. Witnessed to my family & friends in terms of how the Lord has brought me back to Catholicism. I really feel as if the Lord has turned his justice on me because of my sacking etc rather than shown me His mercy. Well, that's fair enough but don't expect me to pray to Him if that's all I can expect going forward. I'm struggling. I don't really want to read stuff about it's all in His plan for me, trust in Him, see the bigger picture. I don't need that now. I'm angry, so so angry....

picadillo likes this.
  6. Bernadette

Bernadette Archangels

Please don't feel abandoned! God loves you and the Evil One wants you to despair! We have all been tested in our lives and most of us continue to suffer. I see around me so many who have it soooo easy. I have to work many long hours without rest and although God has certainly compensated me whenever I see those who have to do nothing and receive benefits without merit I get so frustrated! But I know I am fit when the lean season begins. We'll never know until we die what God's purpose was but He is in control. I believe it was Padre Pio who said "If you knew the value of suffering you would ask for nothing else!" Don't let your suffering go to waste, give it to God. I will certainly add you to my daily prayers.

God Bless!

jerry, Mario and grimisocks like this.
  7. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Keep the faith my friend I have read the book, wore the t-shirt,watched the video and been to the places you are in right now,Hold his hand and don't let go and try and enjoy God's roller coaster believe me when the ride is over you will be screaming lets do that again..;) I was told once that a shepherd looks after his sheep and sometimes a little lamb tries to go its own way and becomes impossible to keep safe and it does not trust the shepherd so the shepherd breaks the lambs leg so that the lamb cant get into danger he carries the lamb until its leg is healed and the little lamb gets to know the shepherd better than all the rest of the lambs..;) Ive had my leg broke and its still healing..:):love::love::love:

grimisocks likes this.
  8. Mario

Mario Powers

grimisocks,

Your feelings of anger remind me of the testimony found in the book, Heaven is for Real. The father's name is Todd and his son is Colton. Well, the boy had a life-after-death experience back in 2003. Todd describes that as his son was dying, he was in an adjoining room "blasting God and blaming him for Colton's condition...!" After his miraculous recover, Colton informed his Dad that Jesus heard his angry prayers! In other words, Jesus listens to our heartfelt expressions, even those of anger. So please don't stop praying, but be honest in your prayers!(y)

I'll stand by you in prayer. From Psalm 69:

1 Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck.
    2 I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me.
    3 I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God.

grimisocks likes this.
  9. kathy k

kathy k Guest

Grimisocks;

Once a priest went to see an old man. There was a brown paper sack sitting upside down on his coffee table. The priest asked about it. the old man picked up the sack, and underneath was a stature of Jesus. The old man said, "Me and Jesus is having a fight."

I've been angry with him before. I just prayed angry prayers, and ended with, "Don't make me put a paper sack over your picture!" (Which makes me laugh, a very healing balm for my soul.)

Also, I've found it helpful to say, "Jesus, I trust in you," in answer to every doubt and angry thought. (It keeps me from getting sucked into a vortex of negativity, and it seems that's a prayer He can't resist.)

Not that you want advice right now, but... my advice is to hold on tight and fight it out. If you're close enough to fight with Him, you're head and shoulders above this faithless generation who never gives Him a thought. Keep that relationship going!

You are on my beads -

Mario, RoryRory, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  10. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

Kathy I think that is great advice and a good reminder! If you are close enough to Him to have a "fight" then that means you have a real relationship with him.

So many good responses. Grimisocks, it sounds like you may be experiencing a "dark night of the soul", something many saints speak of and it is a sign that you are very close to God. I know that seems like an oxymoron but it is true. I have read Mother' Teresa's description of her dark night which lasted a very long time.

Anyway, have it out with Jesus - just don't shut him out! I am also in a similar place of frustration, but not as much anger right now. I have been there in the past though. I somehow have moved past my dark night and am able to at least partially put my trust in Him. Saying it over and over as Kathy suggested does help. I have a long way to go still though. Potatosack and I have been on this path for a long time with our unemployment situations, opportunities have come and gone, and money has been spent, and interviews have gone south. I feel your pain and your anger!

Wanna know what I did? I went on a retreat by myself to a Franciscan monastery and literally had it out with Jesus!!! In fact I have done this a few times now, but none like the first. I wasn't going to leave until I had some answers!!! Well I got them, but the answers I got then, which I carried out, are now turning in on themselves and so I am again confused. I am about to make another trip there for another round myself, but am waiting for word on my latest interview, so I know whether to scream with frustration or to shout for joy. He IS in control, and I can't stand it sometimes...:eek:

Sometimes it reminds me of when I was a teenager and my parents were always wrong about everything! Its like that, isn't it? (n)

kathy k likes this.
  11. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

Oh grimisocks...your post sounds like my first post regarding my unemployment cross...I had been praying like crazy (two 54-day novenas!!) and doing everything under the sun...I was the only one defending Him and the faith to all my family (very liberal on all social issues, etc.), removed sin from my life and changed my ways...and all my non-religious friends and former work colleagues were working, taking vacations, eating out, enjoying life and I was on the sidelines not able to find work...and my prayers turned into "what, are you kidding me, what...this is what I get for all that I have done and being a person of prayer...I'm not asking for a life of luxury, but a simple job where I can support myself...what have I done to deserve this...I'd be better off living a non-converted life, since everyone I knew who was not religious had it made. I was real mad, felt abandoned, and my faith was being tested to the point I was on the ropes. Sounds like that is where you are now!

My guess is you are experiencing a type of "dark night" of the soul, and through the unemployment cross you are carrying, God is asking you to grow closer to Him and grow in faith. I know this is not much consolation to you, but it is actually one of the most important experiences of your life. My suggestions for getting through it (besides staying close to all the sacraments):

Die to Self - really search your heart to see what God may be asking you to remove or change in your life. Remove whatever may be in your life that is not what you think is God's will. Abandon yourself to God's Will and throw everything else away. Keep a journal to daily mark off just one item (no matter how small) of something you changed in your life to be better aligned with God's will.

Adoration - if you are able, try to go to adoration at least weekly. Even if you just sit there. this is where you pour out to Jesus how angry you are, how frustrated you are, how hurt you are, etc. Also ask Him what God's will is for you. You get many graces just by going to adoration and you'll never be outdone in generosity.

Consecration to Mary - do this if you have not done it yet. If you are unsure of God's will for you, or what to remove and or change in your life...Mary will get you there the fastest. during the 33 days of prep time, so many things popped up in my life that I had to address...just crap I had been putting off thinking I couldn't deal with it without a job...Mary really exposed the weeds immediately...showing me how to change...how to get on course with God's will. I'm still weeding the garden and it seems I'm being asked to not only weed, but kill the weeds and the roots...but then these weeds won't come back so easily. So, Mary exposes what I need to work on, and I keep a daily journal to make sure I make progress. I also know she intercedes for me, and takes ALL my prayers and augments them before God, so they are much more powerful. That is all part of the consecration. She takes all of my prayers & sufferings, increases them, and uses them as she wishes and I have recourse to her, so I know she will intercede for all of my spiritual & material needs. The consecration has helped me more than anything else in carrying this cross and doing things I need to do to get to the end. We had a consecration thread of our daily journey that may be helpful to you.

Retreat - as MCalling said, I took a day and went to a shrine and it was great. I needed the day with Jesus. I sat down in the shrine and immediately asked "what do I need to do to get rid of this cross" and immediately on my heart was put "it all starts with trust". Ask Him what you need to do to reach cavalry with your cross!

I think these are the best tactical steps you can take. You are on a spiritual journey to grow closer to Jesus. It's painful, but it's also great suffering that shouldn't be wasted. My prayers are with you grimisocks...you know I've been in your shoes!!

sunburst and Mac like this.
  12. picadillo

picadillo Powers

Well, that's fair enough but don't expect me to pray to Him if that's all I can expect going forward. I'm struggling. I don't really want to read stuff about it's all in His plan for me, trust in Him, see the bigger picture. I don't need that now. I'm angry, so so angry....

I am hurting for you. Not much separates me from you. My job is hanging from a thread. My son's father-in-law had a great job, security, and looking to become a VP. It's now been a year and many,many interviews with no luck and out of work. For me, I go to adoration and "sun-bathe" in his radiance. Don't lose hope/faith. Success is getting up one more time then you are knocked down(I'm also talking to myself). It may not be much but I will keep you in my rosary tonite.

sunburst and Lumena like this.
  13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Guest

Lately Our Lady is asking us to pray for her intentions and there is an article in the Spirit of Medjugorje newsletter saying that if we give over our prayer petitions to the Blessed Mother, she will see to our needs. I don't do justice in describing the trade off, you may read it online in this newsletter, it is on page 6 and its called The Swap by June Klins www.spiritofmedjugorje.org/may2013.htm
    I hope it helps, we have had tons of employment struggles and I know several people now that are searching.

14. padraig

padraig New Member

So many wonderful posts here there is little need to add to them. But this reminds me of something that happened to me on the night of 9/11.

I used to visit a site on the internet which was the hang out of American trained Catholic theologians. Of course I was more than a bit out of my depth but I would throw in my two cents worth just to see how they floated, sometimes they did float and sometimes they sank without a trace. But these were all really very good, very loyal, very obedient very well religiously educated Catholics, people of prayer.

On the night of 9/11 I went to see how things were with them and to sympathise with my sister and brother American fellow Catholics over their huge loss.

I was struck over the real rage and bitterness in some quarters and cautioned on the need for prayerful forgiveness and the need not to be bitter. I got a private message from one telling me it was, 'The wrong time for such talk' and I should,' tone it down'.

To which I quoted Ephesians

Ephesians 4:26

"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,

This is so wise. We cannot assume we will get over anger, either against God or against our fellow man. If our house caught fire we would put out the fire right away less the house burnt down. If our hearts then catch fire how much more quickly we must rush to put our the fire of anger.

As to God and His doings. We are God's very humble children and servants. We were created to do his will , not He ours. If her prepares a feast for us out of His bounty well then let us feast. If He will not even let us have the crumbs of His table , well then let us grow hungry; certain in the knowledge that at the end of time we will be called, if we are faithful tot eh eternal feast.

St Terese of Liseaux wrote a great thing about this when she was in the Dark Night of the Soul. She compared herself to a little rag doll of God. Sometimes God picks up His little rag doll and cuddles it, sometimes He throws it away. But that is up to God , the rag doll must love when cuddled and love when dropped. It is easy to love when cuddled ; it is loving when dropped that is the test.

Praying for all for work this morning at mass....

[​IMG]

Psalm 27

Of David.

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
    The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
    2 When the wicked advance against me
    to devour[a] me,
    it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
    3 Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
    though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.
    4 One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
    that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
    to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
    5 For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
    he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.
    6 Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
    at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.
    7 Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
    8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
    9 Do not hide your face from me,
    do not turn your servant away in anger;
    you have been my helper.
    Do not reject me or forsake me,
    God my Savior.
    10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
    11 Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
    12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations.
    13 I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
    14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.

Mario, "Quis ut Deus" and Mac like this.
  15. kathy k

kathy k Guest

Years ago when I went through a very dark time, Psalm 27:14 came to me often in prayer. I held onto that like a lifeline: "Be stout-hearted and wait upon the Lord." After a couple of years, I actually read the entire psalm, and was amazed to see the preceding verse: "I believe I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." In my state then, it seemed an audacious idea, and yet, it came true.

16. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes Kathy. THough its true to God often writes straight in crooked lines.:)

17. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

you should read Mark Mallett's recent post grimisocks...it may give you some inspiration for perseverance. Here's a little bit:

"So you see, God has His people carved in His hand, and no one is going to steal them from Him. And they will hear His voice. But this flock needs to be purified so as to enter more fully into His plan of salvation for the world. And thus, as a Good Shepherd, He is now leading His people into the desert. There in the desert of trials, temptations, doubts, fears, sorrows, darkness, dryness, and seeming silence, true faith is tested. And if we persevere, if we do not flee this desert, then our faith will be purified. Then we can become a holy people, souls that carry the light of Christ into the darkness of this world; people that reveal to others the face of Jesus, the face of love, joy and peace—even as the ship is sinking.
    This is not mystical gobbely-gook. It is the reality of what God is doing today, and each of us must personally choose now whose side we are going to be on. Whether we will follow the wide or narrow road. And a shudder goes through my soul as I see so many souls fleeing this desert, abandoning their faith, giving up..."

18. grimisocks

I always knew this. It's a tenet of the faith, isn't it? That the guy below taunts, teases & cajoles until one falls. I have to admit, I fell for a brief time. I was so caught up in my own despair that I overlooked the goodness that the Lord has given me these last few years.
    Thank you Bernadette for your comments & your prayers. God bless you :)

19. grimisocks

I try to be childlike when it comes to prayer & adoration. I aim to humble myself at the foot of the cross all the time. That is a motto of mine whenever I speak about the importance of prayer to me. Like I said in my response to Bernadette, I've fallen for a brief moment so being humble in that moment was the furthest thing in my mind. It's quite amazing (and sad) how one forgets the loveliness of ones relationship with God when things get rough. I'll try to hold onto the lesson learnt here as I stumble on in my life...
    Thank you QeD for your insightful & comforting words.

20. grimisocks

Yes he does Mario but it's a bad habit of mine to forget all of that when I'm despairing. Nothing matters to me in those moments but to get my issues rectified and if they don't....well, I get angry.
    The Divine Mercy is a regular part of my weekly prayer routine. I have said "Jesus, I trust in You" more times in the last 2 years than I've actually thought about Jesus in my previous 42. But when the heat was on, I forgot my words of trust. I reverted back to type.
    A lesson learned Mario, thank you...