Our son

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by garabandal, Dec 6, 2008.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

I need your prayers for my eldest son [aged 19] who has recently stopped
    going to Mass on a regular basis even though he knows we
    want him to go: [any suggestions on the best way to handle this?]
    This has heppened since he left home for university in September so
    I supose he is asserting his own personality.

And he plans to go on holiday next Summer with his girlfriend of
    a year and a half despite the fact that he knows I am against it.
    I need prayer to discern the best way to handle these situations.
    I know it is common now for couples to go on holiday and also to
    co-habit but I would call this 'living in sin'.
    Our young people need our prayers as theys are being set a bad example by the
    celebrity culture, media, education and secular society.

Garabandal

Your prayers and advice will be appreciated,

Garabandal

2. padraig

padraig Powers

I will certainly pray for him Garabandal. I don't really have any advice as such as I never had any children. But I suspect arguing or trying to exert pressure would be useless. You can't really force someone to love.

I suggest prayer and fasting, much prayer and fasting especially to Our Lady. But don't expect a change overnight, grace needs time, usually.

On the more optimistic side I think the Great Sign and the Illumination are not far away and we are well into the start of the Tribulation, all events centering on conversion and grounds for very great hope.

As I say I'll rememebr him in my prayers. But there are so many who have wondered away from the Faith in this the era of the greatest mass apostasy in the history of the Church. But there's certainly grounds for great hope. The wealth that cut away faith is disappearing before our very eyes.

3. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Padraig,

Thankyou for your thoughtful reply and I concur with all that you posted.
    I have been praying and fasting and will re-double my efforts knowing
    that our prayers will not be in vain as God will respond in grace.

It is intensely painful to see a loved one stray from the truth of God's love
    but like the prodigal Father I have had to learn to let go and trust in Divine
    Mercy. It is also an opportunity to offer 'sweet Jesus' the pain of my breaking
    heart as a little token of my love. I really feel in the time of this great apostacy
    when so few appear to love Jesus that we who do love Him must ask for the grace to love Him
    completely to make up for those who do not know, love or serve Him.
    Pray that he sets our hearts on Fire with His Divine Love that we will be consumed by the
    fire of His Sacred Heart. Jesus deserves all that we can give and more.

Garabandal

4. Seán

Seán New Member

Garabandal,
    I agree with Padraig; I think prayer is really the only way to try to do something about your situation. If your son is determined not to go to Mass anymore or to go on that holiday with his girlfriend against your wishes, then your words alone would generally not be enough.

I will pray for you in my Rosary tonight.

Seán

5. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Thanks Sean,

It can't be easy to be young nowadays, as there are so many
    pressures and influences in our culture.

I am old enough to remember long queues at confessions in the 70s
    when I was growing up and indeed we went to weekly confession
    each Saturday. I suppose that is why our Lady started to appear
    frequently from the 1960s as she was aware that a tide of materialism,
    greed and sin was about to engulf the world and the Church.

Now is the time to remain faithful and pray, pray, pray!

Garabandal

6. Mario

Mario Powers

Praying.

garabandal,

I am the father of six children. Three are out of the home and the three youngest still rub shoulders with Geralyn and myself on a regular basis. Though I am not bearing the heavy cross that you and your wife toil under, it is one that would grieve me terribly.

The advice offered, that of prayer and fasting, is obviously the best. If your son has ceased to pray than standing in his stead follows the example of Christ who prayed for a Peter who had failed to humbly perceive his need. May your prayers likewise turn the heart of your son (cf. Lk 22:32). It is too difficult to offer advice without knowing more particulars. I would say a great danger exists that this situation might cut off communication with your son. If there is any area of common interests such as hunting, sports, or hobbies that the both of you share, be diligent in maintaining that bridge. Communicating love and affection is still important without comprimising your stand on his lifestyle.

Another point of friction that I've experienced with the independent children deals with perception rather than clearcut sin. My oldest daughter disagrees with us on what dress code ensures modesty. She believes she has taken proper precautions, while we think she could be more conservative. We 're at peace, though, knowing she has made a prayerful choice. It might be tempting to allow your frustrations with your son to erupt in battles over incidental situations that don't involve the core issue. I would suggest you strive to maintain peace in the non-essentials.

Every month I choose to move certain individuals to my priority list which means daily intercession. I will include your son on my priority list through the feast of the Epiphany. Garabandal, my heart goes out to you.

Trusting in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

7. Lee

Lee Principalities

Garabandal, I too have independent thinkers in my household and St. Monica and Padre Pio are wonderful intercessors. Prayer and fasting is the only way to go and while it moves the independent ones slowly it moves our hearts and souls rather quickly and brings great peace. Cling to your prayers it works wonders.

8. Rain

Rain Powers

Hi garabandal:

I'll pray for your son. As a young person, I lost my faith, so speaking from experience, I think Padraig's advice is spot on. Pray and fast for your son. Don't push or preach, but if God gives you an opening, don't be afraid to steer your son in the right direction. I give my parents a lot of credit for the way the handled the situation. God worked His graces through my mother, father and a kindly priest to help bring me back into the Faith.

9. Lee

Lee Principalities

Any way you can get your son to stop by Medjugorje on his holiday next year? Our Lady would show him the way if he would let her.

10. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Thanks all for your support and prayers.
    I did get a chance to have a wee chat with my son
    expressing our love but pointing out that by
    missing Mass that he was denying an important source
    of grace and doing himself 'spititual harm'. I can only
    be a signpost to Christ. Now I have to pray, pray, pray
    [and fast as advised].

Thankyou all again

Garabandal

11. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Garabandal,
    I am just back from Ephesus an this is the 1st post I feel drawn to respond to. I am coming out the other end of the children in college thing. I still have 1 daughter attending university. Its so difficult in colleges in Ireland right now. Its like sending your children to live in a profane and pagan culture. I have shared before with how I got my son to agree to go Medujorge whilst he was still drunk after returning from a rock concert. It completely changed his life. He is now married to the girl he met whilst there and is the proud father of an 8 week old baby. So I think keep praying to Our lady and ask her to send your son the girlfriend she would like him to have. Keep asking Our lady every day to open his eyes to see the sin around him. Then just watch what unfolds.
    THe only other thing I have always made an issue of expecting them to go to Mass and not accepting them giving up on it. If your son decided to give up his education you would confront him because you would want him to understand the ramification of his choice. I has worked for me. I think the example of a fathers faith is the most powerful influence on teenagers. It carries more weight than the mothers at that stage in life. I pray always for young people so I will include your family. My heart goes out to them.

God bless
    Mary