Novel: Kristin Lavransdatter

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by DesertStar7, Feb 19, 2021.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 + To Jesus through Mary @-}--

By Nobel laureate Sigrid Undset.

I'd never heard of this trilogy of novels until today.

Was fortunate to find a GOOD (used) copy at local used bookstore, 1926 edition, below.

Reviewer "Sierra Oscar" wrote this rave review:

Probably my all-time favorite book! This pulled me into Kristin's life. Sigrid Undset is a brilliant writer and it's a tragic crime against literature that she did not leave us more of her writing. There are many descriptions in this book which had the effect of making many things, especially nature, really come to life. She uses using words I was not familiar with, so I learned too. If you do not like reading detailed artistic descriptive writing, you may not enjoy this book. But I cannot think of a complaint about this wonderful story of a life. It was a magical read. I felt physically taken to the places she described. While reading this book during my long daily commute on the train, I almost missed my stop several times, that's how absorbed I was, she really took me there; I FELT like I was Kristin. For the faithful Christian Catholic, there is a lot to love in these books. Ms. Undset's understanding of God's redemptive plan of salvation embodied in His Son and the Church He founded is apparent and especially accurate; her writing at brief times is theologically inspiring. For anyone who has not read this book, I am officially jealous, you are in for a real treat!

I love detailed artistic descriptive writing! :D Also, I'm intrigued by Medieval times. The Black Death becomes a factor at novel's end (a blurb I saw; sorry for the little spoiler).

Has anyone here read this trilogy?

Kristin_Lavransdatter.jpg

HeavenlyHosts, Mary P and Carmel333 like this.
  2. Mary P

Mary P New Member

I had never heard of this book, added to my reading list!

HeavenlyHosts and DesertStar7 like this.
  3. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks very interesting. Let us know if it's worth reading.

HeavenlyHosts and DesertStar7 like this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

Thank you, I will try to remember. Someone just posted me this huge book which will probably take me from now to next Christmas to read. I love reading Medieval tales at the minute for it reminds me of the period, which Pope St John Paul reminded us was one where Faith was very,very strong indeed.

[​IMG]

DesertStar7 likes this.