New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Signs Bill Legalizing Abortions Up to Birth

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by Beth B, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

0A1BDA5B-98FA-4110-AE4B-FDB8639DF1D6.jpeg https://www.lifenews.com/2019/01/23/new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-signs-bill-legalizing-abortions-up-to-birth/

Will we hear the bishops denounce not just this bill..
    But Andrew Cuomo as well???

Will he be excommunicated?

They were willing to expel catholic school students for doing absolutely nothing wrong....will we see them excommunicate Cuomo for killing babies?

What a delima for the clerical buddies of Andrew....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Byron, SgCatholic, Carol55 and 4 others like this.
  2. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/c...cate-gov.-cuomo-over-nys-extreme-abortion-law
    Catholic leaders: Excommunicate Gov. Cuomo over New York’s extreme abortion law
    Abortion, Andrew Cuomo, Catholic

PETITION: Say "NO" to celebrating abortion by lighting up One World Trade Center. Sign the petition here.

Gary david and sparrow like this.
  3. Arantxa

Arantxa New Member

It is not only Gov Cuomo but Speaker Pelosi, former Vice President Biden to name a few Catholics in the US government who support abortion and still their Archdioces are silent. Keep praying for the USA.

4. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Yes..sadly...it’s a long list of powerful politicians....
    The church leaders need to excommunicate them all.

Millions upon millions of dead babies that they helped facilitate and finance...with our money.

Catholics cannot vote for a pro abortion candidate...ever. Regardless of their party.

The democrats are the party of death...they are persecuting Christians.

sparrow likes this.
  5. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

598462CA-7022-4EFE-9FFE-CA0B38E21735.jpeg NY Catholic bishop questions Gov. Cuomo's faith over ‘death star’ abortion law

Cuomo...standing at a planned parenthood rally...he is their biggest cheerleader.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...uomos-faith-over-death-star-abortion-law.html

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's faith is being questioned after he signed a bill into law that legalizes abortion up until birth for any reason.

Is that all? His faith is being called into question? He’s been pro abortion forever....
    So what are you clerics going to do about him? You’re just calling his faith questionable? It’s not questionable...it’s nonexistent!

Excommunicate this guy! Right away...send the country a message....

Stop letting him receive communion. He’s living with a woman he is not married to....and you all know it.
    Look the other way for Cuomo, but expell innocent Catholics ProLife students without a blink of the eye.

You have no credibility. Hypocrites

SgCatholic and sparrow like this.
  6. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

27F1B416-F18C-4370-9163-1F66B8F4D216.jpeg This is the strongest statement I’ve seen from a N.Y. bishop on Andrew Cuomo:

Bishop of Albany Edward B. Scharfenberger, questioned if supporting and signing this law could impact Cuomo’s standing in the Catholic Church and ability to receive communion. “This legislation threatens to rupture the communion between the Catholic faith and those who support the RHA even while professing to follow the Church, something that troubles me greatly as a pastor,” wrote Scharfenberger.
    In a open letter to the governor, Scharfenberger highlighted Cuomo’s apparent inconsistencies when referencing his Catholic faith.

“Although in your recent State of the State address you cited your Catholic faith and said we should ‘stand with Pope Francis,’ your advocacy of extreme abortion legislation is completely contrary to the teachings of our pope and our Church,” Scharfenberger wrote.

New York was the first state to legalize abortion, and did so in 1970. It currently has the highest abortion rate in the country. In 2019, the organization Americans United for Life ranked New York 43rd on its annual ranking of pro-life states.

The bishops also requested prayers not only “for the conversion of heart for those who celebrate this tragic moment in the history of our state,” but also for “the lives that will be lost, and for the women of our state who are made less safe under this law.”

There were many “celebrations” throughout the state after the law was passed. In addition to the loud cheering in the Senate chamber after the vote, One World Trade Center and other landmarks around the state were lit up in bright pink to “celebrate” the law.

Waiting for Dolan to announce the canon law penalty for Cuomo?? And waiting...and waiting......

Agnes rose and sparrow like this.
  7. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says that right to lifers have no place in his state...

8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Andrew Cuomo...,
    “America was never really that great”

9. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

Ok, it seems the world got the message...

image.jpeg

SgCatholic and Beth B like this.
  10. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

Oh how different things might be if we had a saint such as JP2 at the helm.

But, of course, God is always in control.

image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg

Sanctus, Praetorian and Beth B like this.
  11. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Says it all, doesn’t it. Guess we are just obsessed with the aborting of Millions and millions of innocent babies.

What would Jesus do/say? I think I know....please inform Pope Francis someone.

SgCatholic and Blizzard like this.
  12. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Blizzard likes this.
  13. Mark1

Mark1 Principalities

Sickening. And the Church had better come out strongly against this. I, too, will be waiting to see if they do. I ask God if He set up a time frame for His justice when He created the world...and if He, Himself, won't stray from it, or if He's coming soon to finally straighten this Earthly mess out. I pray it's the latter. Both parties are far from perfect. But, in my opinion, every priest and bishop should be calling out democrats for supporting sociopaths like Cuomo, on down.

Praetorian and Beth B like this.
  14. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I’m afraid of Gods intervention, but I’m more afraid of this chaos and evil. We are already so confused about the church situation and increasingly they look to be part of the liberal social agenda.
    I’m not questioning God’s timing...just my own understanding of it. But I totally trust God.

Agnes rose likes this.
  15. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

What does the Cuomo New York abortion law mean...for Cuomo and babies?

16. padraig

padraig New Member

17. Sam

Sam Powers

“excommunication should not be used as a weapon.”

New York cardinal: Excommunicating pro-abortion politicians ‘not an appropriate response’

NEW YORK, January 25, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Archbishop of New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan responded to calls for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's excommunication for his role in enshrining a “fundamental right” to virtually-unlimited abortion in the state, saying via a spokesperson that excommunication is "not an appropriate response."

Asked by CNN Religion Editor Dan Burke about the calls for Gov. Cuomo to be excommunicated over New York's new abortion bill, Dolan’s spokesman said he would “not discuss any individual,” but that “excommunication should not be used as a weapon.”

“Too often, I fear, those who call for someone's excommunication do so out of anger or frustration,” Dolan's spokesman said in the statement.

Two Catholic bishops, however, are calling for the excommunication of Cuomo for championing and signing the so-called Reproductive Health Act (RHA), earlier this week on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. The radical abortion bill codified legal abortion up to birth in New York state law, an act of preservation by pro-aborts should Roe v. Wade be overturned by the Supreme Court.

Knoxville, Tennessee, Bishop Richard Stika and Tyler, Texas, Bishop Joseph Strickland both indicated that if Cuomo lived in their jurisdiction they would take action. Strickland urged Cuomo’s ordinaries to do so.

“Someone asked me today if I would issue an excommunication of a Catholic Governor under my jurisdiction if the Governor did the same as in New York,” Stika tweeted Thursday afternoon. “I think I might do it for any Catholic legislator under my jurisdiction who voted for the bill as well as the Governor.”

“Enough is enough,” said Stika. “Excommunication is to be not a punishment but to bring the person back into the Church. It's like medicine for them. But this vote is so hideous and vile that it warrants the act. But thankfully I am not in that position. Very sad.”

Bishop Strickland followed up in the early hours of Friday, and mincing no words he said the radical abortion law amounts to legalized "infanticide."

“I’m with Bishop Stika,” he said. “I’m not in a position to take action regarding legislation in New York but I implore bishops who are to speak out forcefully. In any sane society this is called INFANTICIDE!!!!!!!!!!”

Catholic commentator Thomas Peters said that Dolan's statement indicates that some Church leaders are more concerned about public image than shepherding souls.

After years of campaigning by pro-abortion activists, the New York state legislature - now under Democrat super majority since last November’s midterm elections - passed the so-called “Reproductive Health Act” (RHA) Tuesday, preserving a supposed “fundamental right” to abortion in state law and eliminating protections for the unborn until birth.

Washington D.C. priest Monsignor Charles Pope also called for Cuomo to face penalties.

“There comes a time when something is so egregious and boldly sinful that it must be met with strong ecclesial and canonical penalties and remedies,” Pope wrote Wednesday at the National Catholic Register.

After detailing of the “terrible bill,” Pope said, “Even worse, the “Catholic” governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, not only signed the bill on the 46th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, but decreed a celebration.”

Note: This story is developing. LifeSiteNews will continue to update as developments occur.

Full statement by Cardinal Dolan's spokesman

I will not discuss any individual. Anything that follows is a statement of some general principles, and should not be considered to be a comment on any specific person.

First, excommunication should not be used as a weapon. Too often, I fear, those who call for someone's excommunication do so out of anger or frustration.

Second, notable canon lawyers have said that, under canon law, excommunication is not an appropriate response to a politician who supports or votes for legislation advancing abortion.

Third, from a pastoral perspective, if a pastor - and a bishop is certainly a pastor of a diocese - knows of a grave situation involving a parishioner, it is his duty to address that issue personally and directly with the parishioner. That was the approach of Cardinal O'Connor and Cardinal Egan (both of whom I served), and it is Cardinal Dolan's approach as well.

Fourth, and finally, from a strategic perspective, I do not believe that excommunication would be effective as many politicians would welcome it as a sign of their refusal to be "bullied by the Church", thinking it would therefore give them a political advantage. (See, for example, the case of Bishop Leo Maher and Lucy Killea).

New York cardinal: Excommunicating pro-abortion politicians ‘not an appropriate response’ | News | LifeSite

Beth B likes this.
  18. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Oh, if only all our doctors would speak up like this good man. As a practitioner, he surely understands the issue...and spoke to it in simple, plane language. I hope this goes viral.
    Bless him for speaking out!

josephite and Praetorian like this.
  19. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Thank you Sam...I was waiting to hear Dolan’s response about the abortion bill. It’s totally the rhetoric that I expected. This is a disgrace....and totally predictable from Dolan.

The death sentence for countless babies was signed and celebrated....and this is all he can say? He has no moral authority...babies under his spiritual care and protection have been thrown to the wolves...by politicians and the church, and that’s all that he will say?

How do they sleep...?

20. AED

AED Powers

I am so ashamed of this Cardinal. First of all to aid and abet abortion is an AUTOMATIC EXCOMMUNICATION. I suppose Card in nal Dolan has just lifted it. This leaves me with no words. We cannot humanly fathom the horror of what has just been signed into law.