New Ministries for Women

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Dolours, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Another item ticked on the St. Gallen agenda. Not quite there with the priestesses but looks like deaconesses in all but name. Presumably there'll be some kind of ceremony for them that won't be called ordination - not yet: https://www.ncregister.com/cna/pope...ies-of-lector-and-acolyte-in-new-motu-proprio

At this rate, our churches will have more people in the sanctuary than in the pews. I don't know about other parishes but there's a notable absence of men of all ages in our parish. Does anyone believe that Gretas and Susans wearing vestments will bring a resurgence of faith?

2. Mario

Mario Powers

In the USA altar girls have been allowed for some time. It is a common experience in the parishes that I have been associated with over the years: altar boys will eventual flee when mixed with altar girls. It is a potent form of demolition for forming future priests.:(:mad::whistle: This Motu Proprio will only encourage and exaggerate this trend.

Lord have Mercy!

3. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I suppose it will get the Pope some compliments in the press. But what's the point of it, if not to send a message that the door to women's ordination has been unlocked?

I know that it's my own generation, but the sooner the better the Woodstock generation dies off. Maybe the the Church will get back to preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ without hiding it behind all these gimmicks. Lord knows, they have tried everything else with each new innovation producing worse results. I dropped into a church to say a prayer last week and they had a huge statue of Santa Clause beside the crib (that's the Coca Cola Santa with the beard, red outfit and sack of toys). What's wrong with preaching the Gospel and having some trust that the Holy Spirit will respond to our simply doing what Jesus told us to do? Or do they think that the Holy Spirit is an optional extra when it comes to conversions?

We have a new Archbishop due to take his seat next month. My heart sank when I read his priorities: ecology, the margins and listening to women. That's three of them. There were four but I can't remember the 4th or any of the rest of what he said. I know that Jesus didn't get a mention but I think he did manage to work "encounter" and "dialogue" into the conversation. Lord save us.

Clare A, josephite, Jo M and 5 others like this.
  4. sparrow

sparrow Exitus ~ Reditus

They will be priestesses of the One World Religion when it comes to that which feels like it might be pretty soon... :cautious:

Suzanne, Clare A, Jo M and 1 other person like this.
  5. josephite

josephite Powers

The "Abomination of desolation"!

6. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

Ugh!! I've seen alter girls ever since I became a Catholic back in 1997, and women lectors too. I haven't heard anything about women deacons. I wouldn't want to become one, although back when I was a Protestant I sometimes thought about becoming a minister. I think it was a self esteem issue. I wanted the attention. But I'm over that. I DON'T

7. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

Oops. I didn't finish that message before it got posted. I was going to say I don't want to be a priest. Not by a long shot. It's been rightly said that Jesus didn't have women apostles, although he could have. He had plenty of women followers. I believe that during the time of his public ministry, there were women who helped take care of things. I don't suppose, back then, any of the men knew how to cook for themselves. Although it's possible. But not as likely as it is today. Anyway, that being said, Jesus had plenty of women around him that believed in him. So, why didn't he have a woman apostle? The closest any woman came to that was his mother, Mary. But she had her own special role, and it sure wasn't as a "priest."

8. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I think that there were women in the early Church who were sometimes called deacons or deaconesses (not sure whether the word was gender specific in whatever was the language of the day). In those days Baptism was by full immersion which would have required women to be present for the baptism of females. They may also have brought Communion to housebound women where a man calling to the home would have caused scandal. Those women did not receive Holy Orders and wouldn't have been reading Scripture aloud at Mass at a time when St. Paul said that women should be silent.

Suzanne likes this.
  9. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

I wouldn't want to be a deaconess, or anything like that. I know I don't want to lector either. My problem is I have a tendency to talk too fast. And I would surely stumble over some of the words if lecturing. I know there's training to be a lector, but still that isn't for me. I was a Eucharistic Minister for awhile until a bad bout of depression got me out of it. I once told our current priest, Fr. John about it and said I sometimes wondered about going back to being a Eucharistic Minister, but was afraid my depression might get in the way again. Of course, now they do things a bit different, so it isn't the same. I'd have to go back and take the class again to get up to date on the changes. Ok, I'm rambling. I thought about taking the Eucharist to the home bound, but that was squelched when I said I ride the bus. Because there's no guarantee that someone would live near a bus stop. Anyway, I'm still trying to find my place in the church as something other than a pew warmer. I think, for now, it's going to have to be someone who prays a great deal.

10. Dolours

Dolours Powers

"The men and women who pray in silence, in the night, and in solitude are the supporting pillars of Christ's Church".
    .Robert Cardinal Sarah.

Suzanne, sparrow, Clare A and 2 others like this.
  11. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I love this quote. It’s pretty much my outlook, too. And there’s nothing wrong with being a pew warmer.

sparrow, AED, Christy Beth and 3 others like this.
  12. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

I guess my part goes back to my Protestant days when "pew warmer" was someone unspiritual. They were seen as not saved because they didn't do anything for God. Like, go out and "save souls." "Bring in more souls," or whatever it was. I gave up on them a long time ago. I know their way doesn't work. While they (the Protestants) said that we are saved by faith alone, they also said if you aren't bringing in the people, you weren't doing anything. The more people you "saved" the more you could expect to get in heaven. Only problem was, they really didn't answer my questions about the suffering souls. I was often told as a kid that if I had problems, it must mean I'm either not saved, or had some "unconfessed" sin in my life. I'm sorry, but Jesus said that what happened to him, the persecution, would happen to us. If we are persecuted, then we must be doing something right.

Suzanne, AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  13. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Christy Beth, in prior years in the past in the Church, there were more vocations. Many nuns and brothers in monasteries spent their lifelong vocations in prayer for souls and for the Church. Our Lady at Fatima in 1917 asked for the sacrifice of our daily duties, daily rosary, and the devotion of the Five First Saturdays. That keeps us busy fulfilling her requests.:)

Suzanne, sparrow, AED and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dolours

Dolours Powers

St. Therese is a patron saint of the missions and she never left her convent in France. You can save souls by offering your prayers and daily crosses for the conversion of sinners. The Holy Spirit won't let your prayers go to waste.

Suzanne, sparrow, AED and 2 others like this.
  15. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

Ok, so prayer for now is the way to go. I'll continue to read and pray and hopefully it will bear fruit. And I'll keep annoying you guys here with my dumb posts.

Suzanne, sparrow and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  16. Dolours

Dolours Powers

There's nothing dumb about your posts. Would that we all were as anxious to deepen our faith and discern what God wills us to do.

P.S. You won't know this side of Heaven how many souls you saved. A nice surprise waiting for you when you hear the words "Well done, good and faithful servant".

Suzanne, sparrow, AED and 2 others like this.
  17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I agree with Dolours. Nothing dumb about your posts. :coffee:

Suzanne, sparrow and AED like this.
  18. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Archangels

Thank you both Dolours and Heavenly Hosts. My biggest fear is sounding dumb or performing my usual "foot-in-mouth" bit. lol I have one man from Israel on facebook, one time I mentioned foot in mouth disease and he had to ask what I meant. He couldn't find that in anything he had. So, I sometimes say something when it would be better to keep my mouth shut.

Suzanne, Dolours and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  19. padraig

padraig New Member

It all goes back to men and women being totally , totally different, even to their very souls.

Suzanne, sparrow and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  20. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

(y)L
    As the Creator designed. (y)