New Irish forum started

Discussion in 'Spirit of Ireland' started by padraig, Jan 24, 2014.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Cead mile failte

[​IMG]

Julia, Roger Buck and Indy like this.
  2. Indy

Indy Praying

Sé do bheatha, a Mhuire,
    atá lán de ghrásta,
    Tá an Tiarna leat.
    Is beannaithe thú idir mná,
    Agus is beannaithe toradh do bhroinne, Íosa.
    A Naomh-Mhuire, a Mháthair Dé,
    guigh orainn na peacaigh,
    anois, agus ar uair ár mbáis.
    Amen.

3. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Most-Beautiful-Places-To-Visit-Before-You-Die-8-450x299.gif
    Welcome to the land we hold so dear ,to the place of saints and scholars and where the Gaelic language that is spoke is that of the angels..:)

4. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

5. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

6. miker

miker Powers

Julia and Roger Buck like this.
  7. Roger Buck

Roger Buck Angels

It occurs to me that the different kinds of wishes in the last video also reveal the difference between the New Age (life as a bed of roses free from pain, with abundance, power and success) versus the vision of Christianity - Jesus Christ, Immanuel, with you in all forms of trial and joy.

Ireland, this profoundly Christian country, understands that, I say, in a way that both my own more New Agey America and Britain do not so much. (I have both American and British passports - so I think I can fairly claim to be a Brit and an American at the same time!)

Very grateful for Irish sub forum - have posted my first post on Ireland there ...

8. Indy

Indy Praying

Beautiful Irish Music.

Julia likes this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

Sadhbh Ni Bhruinneallaigh - Liam O Maonlai

Julia likes this.
  10. Krizevac

Krizevac Archangels

11. Krizevac

Krizevac Archangels

12. Fatima

Fatima Guest

13. padraig

padraig New Member

Thanks you for the link, Mark, a great old Traditionalist Catholic blog, which I have bookmarked. :)

I notice several folks on the forum are Traditionalists and have a very strong Traditionalist Agenda which they are not least bit afraid of expressing , which is fine by me.:D;)

I was brought up in a very traditionalist home. We used to have the Tridentine Mass every Sunday in our front room. I think around 40 people used to attend and I am sure the neighbours used to scratch their heads wondering what we were up to as the little crowd streamed up to in and out, like our very own little Church.

The priests were members of (then ) schismatic St Pope Pius x Society under the late Archbishop Lefevbre.

upload_2014-4-13_10-1-15.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Lefebvre

One of these Holy priests I remember very well, for he was a saint, no doubt about it was an English gentleman Fr Wilders ( long since gone to heaven) Fr Wilders ran a private Traditionalist Catholic school in the West of Ireland. So gentle and holy a man , I always got the impression he was in constant prayer.

ahhh here he is here:

[​IMG]

..and this is the school he founded; St Patrick's Academy in Mayo:

http://www.stpatricksacademy.ie/fr_wilders.html

Roger Buck and (deleted member) like this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

I was never a Traditionalist myself , in the first place because I always believed in unity and obedience to Rome. I remember my poor father , his face turning a funny mottled colour of purple when I called him a Protestant for his break with Rome.:D:D That was the worst thing I could have called him, a Protestant, I was terrible!! :D But still it makes me laugh.

I also never really bought into the Traditionalist was of looking at things. For instance Second Vatican Council..as all Councils..was a great gift to Mother Church . Of course a lot of it was hi jacked by n'er do wells, but that was their fault not the fault of the Council Fathers.

upload_2014-4-13_10-12-5.jpeg

Also of course I considered the Novus Ordo Mass to be legit and still do, this is not the case with many Traditionalists. This point of view horrified me even more than the schism, still does in fact. :eek::rolleyes:

But my father spent many happy hours squabbling away about such things. :)

Many things on the other hand I love about the Trident / Traditionalist Tradition I love. My father had a totally Tridentine Funeral which was very beautiful.

I think on the whole Traditionalists tend to take a very black and white approach to things which I cannot share. For instance on this matter of falling Church membership, I sometimes wonder, 'Is the glass half empty or is the glass half full?' As Churchill once said, There are lies, half lies..and then there are statistics.

I think something old has to die before it can be reborn and I do believe we are giving birth to something quite beautiful.

But I do not want to get into a big row about all this. I wore myself out all those years ago arguing as a young man with all the Traditionalists who flocked to our hose. My father used to lecture me from dawn to dusk .It has worn me out for ever. I think they thought I had two heads and horns. :ROFLMAO:

But anyway, there you are...:) I would say one part of me will always be a little Traditionalist anyway. ;)

15. padraig

padraig New Member

There is one thing I would urge on people discussing Tradtionalist issues, however. To be kind and gentle and loving. Life can be hard enough without us being hard on each other. ;)

Be kind. Be as good at listening as talking. We all have a lot to teach each other, its true, but we have a lot to learn from each other as well. :) This goes to both sides of the debate.

Mac and Fatima like this.
  16. garabandal

garabandal Powers

What is the situation with Society of Pius X today? I mean with regard to canonical status?

17. padraig

padraig New Member

You know Bobby I am not sure, but I think the ball is still up in the air and they have been in talks with Rome since Pope Benedict was trying to settle matters.

Sadly the Society itself may go into schism. A schism with a schism.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/10/sspx-seems-poised-to-confirm-a-formal-schism/

Luke 11:23

"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

upload_2014-4-13_10-47-43.jpeg

18. Fatima

Fatima Guest

I don't know that I am a traditionalist, but I do have a soft spot and a love for the reverence and mysticalness of the old Church. The picture of the 4 seminarians above walking toward the abbey gives me pause/peace. Even though I am a married man with lots of children, there is a part of me that longs for a life of solitude and peacefulness of the monastic life. I admire the simplicity of the monastic life. I despise the irreverence in the Mass today. It is not so much from the liturgy itself, but from the casualness of the 'faithful' and clergy or the lack of prayerfulness that makes it hard for myself to stay focused. The music is just plain awful most of the time. I love the old Church, or at least my perception of it. Simplicity, humility, awe and wonder are gone for the most part. That is why I try to spend my noon hours in Church, where I can make it my own for a while. I guess I am a traditionalist for the most part.... at least in heart.

19. padraig

padraig New Member

I am a kind of half caste. \\\I would say one of things I love about Traditionalism is the centering on the mystical stuff. Apparitions, messages The old mystical literature of my childhood. Good theology on items like angels, purgatory , hell, the saints, the devil ,Our Blessed Lady..and all told in story form, which I very much love. Padre Pio kind of stuff.:D Our Lady of Fatima, lourdes..and on and on and on..love it.

Julia and (deleted member) like this.
  20. padraig

padraig New Member

I must be honest though and say the Tridentine Mass does not do it for me.

I would also say, if, but and maybe too often to be taken into the fold. :D

I am not really a black and white person.

Julia likes this.