Mother Mary ... misfiled!

Discussion in 'Mother of God' started by DesertStar7, Mar 2, 2021.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}--

This afternoon, at local used bookstore, while searching the Christian section for a specific title, I noticed a subsection in the "general" area devoted to Mary Magdalene.

Hmm. :confused: Hadn't EVER noticed this little subsection before, as it's surrounded by Protestant publications and the Catholic section (with Mariology subsection) is on the other side of this tall wrap-around shelf.

What do I find in the Mary Magdalene subsection but books about Our Lady! :love: One is by Fr. Raymond de Thomas de Saint-Laurent, born 1879 "descended from an ancient and noble family of southern France." I'm a Francophile so yay! again.

What a lovely surprise! I purchased this (only $1.5o with trade-in credit applied to original cost): VirginMaryBook.jpg

AED, sparrow, Carmel333 and 8 others like this.
  2. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

It was being set aside for you. Spiritually.

AED, sparrow, DesertStar7 and 6 others like this.
  3. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

Love those finds! I always look at the thrift stores too for good Catholic books. Just a note on Mary Magdalen...lately the protestants and cults are into her and a very bad movie based on the Gnostic "gospels" was released with Joaquin Phoenix playing a Jesus who is in love with her as portrayed in the said "gospels". The Protestants with their lack of history and truth of the Church can be easily led astray by this stuff.

AED, Mary's child, Sam and 2 others like this.
  4. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}--

Yes, that she was His wife.

That would explain why these books are in the Protestant section.

I saw Virgin Mary and Our Mother titles on spines where they shouldn't be, while browsing for a book on demonic possession (of all things -- NEVER a favorite topic, but there is one I do want to read). The subsection divider in that particular spot is unreadable as seen from my approach, and so wasn't aware of it being a Magdalen subsection.

I wondered, Why are books on Mother Mary HERE? (n) Should be on the other side, in Mariology subsection. :unsure:

Perhaps I should've moved them, but then...maybe they're meant to be there. :coffee:

Carmel333 likes this.
  5. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I'll wager that it was a store manager with NO religious background who just told workers to put them there. I recall years ago enjoying a light work of fiction where a nice Jewish mother wrote a book on knitting, and in the process of getting it published wound up matchmaking different people at the publishing house. The title was something like "Sadie Abrams Knitting Book". A few months later I was looking through a bookstore in the crafts section and found this book. Now, the back cover clearly had a label marking it as fiction, so whoever did the shelving just looked at the title and not at the label.

I think you should go back and talk to someone. Point out that they are losing sales by misfiling the books, either because people aren't finding the books they're looking for, or people will be dissatisfied with the books they purchased and will look elsewhere.

AED, Mary's child, Jo M and 2 others like this.