Marginalisation of Christians in Britain

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by garabandal, Dec 16, 2009.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Sobering reflection on the marginalisation of Christians in Britain
    from the Christian institute.

http://www.christian.org.uk/wp-content/downloads/marginchristians.pdf

2. padraig

padraig Powers

There are good sides to this too, Bobby. When the night gets darker the light shines more. I go to mass at the hospital every day and my fellow workers have noticed this and talk about how I use my lunch time to do this, I also tried to hide the fact that I fast but they have noticed this too, also the books I read and the remarks I make.

I don't mind this as I am older now and do not mind being seen as different and apart in fact it seems to me to make life more interesting. Folks tend to come and discuss their problems with me and often ask for prayers.

In Ireland I think, despite the media , which is intensely anti religion the people themselves, even when they do not practise are full of faith. I know this may change if the media hammer away long enough. But faith is so deep in people it will not easily wash away.

The media portray believers as intolerant, stuck in the past bigots. But when people meet us they do not meet what the media say, they meet us as people and see the lies for what they are.

I think as Catholics we should be investing a lot of time and money buying up newspapers, TV channels and internet space. Why should the devil own all the newspapers. The Church is compartively wealthy, if we can run schools. Universities and hospitals surely we can run newspapers and TV stations, radio and big web sites. If we can control these we would bring the politicians quickly to heel. Lets face it, its starting to look like trying to do this or ending up in prison so its a good investment for the future.

3. darrell

darrell New Member

It’s interesting, but where we live the daily print newspaper is becoming a thing of the past; it only comes one day a week now. I believe this is the future as newsprint is becoming so expensive and more people prefer to get their news off the internet. This has caused my wife Liane some amount of grief as it has been her lifelong custom to read the paper every morning at breakfast.

Michael Brown was I think really kind of inspired when he started his online news magazine SPIRIT DAILY. Of course, this was a natural fit for him being a professional writer when he realized he had to leave the secular, atheistic world he lived in as a reporter for the New York Times. His site is quite popular, and it has grown I think strictly by word of mouth (and the influence of the Holy Spirit). The site consists of links to relevant news on the internet combined with his own articles, and it allows him to advertise his own books. I doubt he’s getting rich, but between his bookstore, selling advertisements and now his conferences, he’s able to support his family.

I think there’s at least one other similar (possibly a copycat) site out there, but I can’t think of the name right now. I think there’s room for more Catholic Christian online newsmagazines. Michael Brown leans heavily toward the prophetic, and I think he’s captured this niche. If I were going to start an internet newsmagazine (and I feel no calling to do so), I would go a little more mainstream. As stated, SPIRIT DAILY is heavily prophetic, and he’s not afraid to discuss “doom and gloom.” But this is not a lot of people’s cup of tea.

Of course, all this would come to naught if there’s ever a failure in the technology infrastructure. Now who’s talking doom and gloom?
    :lol: