Many are called.....

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by twoangels, Apr 23, 2009.

1. twoangels

twoangels New Member

Many are called, but few are chosen.

What does this mean?

Is everyone called or just many?

Few are chosen.
    I'm getting a picture of everyone in a class putting up their hand, but God picks just a few.
    Are these the Saints?

Can anyone explain it? :?

Siobhan

2. Seán

Seán New Member

All of us receive the graces from God to respond to his call, that is, to fulfil our vocation in life that He intends for us. Now sometimes people, through sinful choices and motives, deviate from God's will, often going far from what He intended for that person. This quote also refers in an implicit way to the vocation of the priesthood, where many are called to follow Jesus, but so few respond because of the influence of the secular world - God's call seems to get lost amidst a tangle of secular options.

Few are chosen, not solely by God, as if we had no choice, but through His Providence, for if we respond to these graces to follow Him by doing His will, we are chosen, as we have made the conscious decision to answer His call.

Seán

3. twoangels

twoangels New Member

Right, I get that! :)
    Providence is the word that stands out for me in what you said.

Lightbulb moment!

Siobhan

4. padraig

padraig Powers

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Christ Jesus to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace...In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will" -- Ephesians 1:2-5, 11.