Looking for help with movies for kids

Discussion in 'Video Blogs' started by garabandal, Nov 4, 2014.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Can anyone recommend movie/documentaries/lives of saints videos with a religious/Catholic/spiritual theme that might engage someone around 12/13 years old? Preferably something from Youtube.

"Heaven is for real" is one I have used effectively.

Look forward to some suggestions, thanks

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  2. andree

andree Powers

On youtube, you can watch The Greatest Miracle.

My kids also enjoyed the old blockbuster films like Ben Hur and The Robe. but I don't know if the full movies are on youtube.

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  3. Kclark

Kclark Principalities

My daughter watched the Bible (2013 version mini series) over and over again(she actually bought the series)... Loved the story of Jericho and Samson.. I believe you can get it on Neflix and some clips from utube

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  4. miker

miker Powers

In our CCD class with kids the same age, we showed the movie on the life of St. John Bosco. The kids really enjoyed it. We used a videotape but perhaps it is on youttube. You might also consider the movie from a few years agoon the life of Pope John Paul, of course, now a saint too!

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  5. Carmel333

Carmel333 Powers

The Miracle of Marcelino is wonderful and fun. The old black and white one is much better than the newer one. It's about a group of brothers in a monastery that gets a baby boy left on their doorstep and end up raising him. He is a very naughty little boy with a heart of gold. He is told NOT to ever go up to the attic because there is a big man up there who will take him away. (the brothers told him this because they were afraid he would get hurt up there being a very old building) Of course, being naughty he sneaks up there and finds a forgotten life-size crucifix. What happens next will amaze you!:)

Beth B and Inis Eoghain like this.
  6. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  7. Mac

Watched this a couple of years ago on utube . Sadly its gone ...Wasnt Ustinov a great Nero!?

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  8. Mac

Probably a bit painful for most youth today...

Beth B, Inis Eoghain and Bartimaeus like this.
  9. Mac

oops , naughty me....

10. andree

andree Powers

I am looking at this on Amazon and see there is also The Bible, "epic mini-series" in 2014. Is one considered better? We don't have access to US shows so I don't know which one is considered better quality.

11. Kclark

Kclark Principalities

Sorry for the late reply Andree... The Bible Epic mini series 2014 is the one that my daughter watches over and over again. It has a slight protestant slant, however thestories and graphics are well done. My daughter said they took clips from the mini series and made a movie (she said it was exactly the same). My teenager enjoyed the history and biblical presentation!
    Best

12. andree

andree Powers

Thanks for your reply kclark.

I also wanted to add this documentary here, called The Principle. It's not about the Bible or Saints, but discusses current knowledge in cosmology in a way that leaves the door very much open for God. I haven't seen it but my husband saw it on a plane during a recent trip and said it was very interesting and he thought it suitable for our children.

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  13. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain Angels

Carmel, my kids and I also loved this film :) Marcelino, pan y vino - and yes, they were initially a bit apprehensive about it being an old black and white film, but we watched it over and over when they were younger! I remember we once watched it together with my mum when she was in her late 80s and still going strong. Thanks for bringing back a lovely memory.

Beth B likes this.
  14. Heidi

Heidi Powers

My kids love Miracles from Heaven.

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  15. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain Angels

Andree, thank you. What an astonishing find! I will try to find out how I can get hold of this film. It sounds very interesting. God bless you.

16. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain Angels

Heidi, I just googled this film and, to my utter amazement, the whole film seems to have appeared... thanks for the recommendation. I will watch it now (at least, I hope too_O ) Thanks again

Heidi likes this.
  17. js1975

js1975 New Member

18. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain Angels

19. andree

andree Powers

Well thank YOU Inis for bumping up this thread! I had forgotten about the movie but have just ordered it and can't wait to watch it.

20. MMarie

MMarie Guest

• The Greatest Miracle is animated and deals with the Mass, confession purgatory, and is quite absorbing.