Lent

Discussion in 'Video Blogs' started by Patty78, Feb 11, 2016.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

I have kind of been noticing lately how much of my thoughts are about absolute nonsense . I also notice how when I am caught up with useless thoughts how I loose the moment. For instance when Irealise what I am doing I understand I am not present in the moment, not present with God. Last night whn I realsied it I suddenly saw I was in a beautiful park , with stars overhead, besie me a lake relecting the stars , I was the only one in the Park and the birds were gently floating in the water. But because I was lost in useless thoughts I wasn't really in the Park at all I might as well have been walking on the far side of the moon forall I saw and heard. I think this is part of Jesus meant when He warned us not to worry. Not that I was worried as such but I was caught up in the days events. I was, maybe living in the recent past rather than the God present. I was loosing the gift of the now and trading it for things that are gone.

There was a very Holy Saint, Borther Lawrence who wrote on these things in a book called, 'The Practise of the Presence of God'.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001BPF4WC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

'A former soldier, French mystic Nicholas Herman, aka BROTHER LAWRENCE (1611?-1691), was converted to a powerful love of God at age 18 by a humble observation of nature, and his thoughts, collected in these two uncomplicated works of devotion, remain among the most pure and most powerful adorations of the divine.

A lay Carmelite brother, Lawrence spent most of his time in the monastery's kitchens, and his simple, earthy observations on the direct paths to communication with God continue to inspire those seeking a stronger, more potent spirituality today.'

“We should fix ourselves firmly in the presence of God by conversing all the time with Him...we should feed our soul with a lofty conception of God and from that derive great joy in being his. We should put life in our faith. We should give ourselves utterly to God in pure abandonment, in temporal and spiritual matters alike, and find contentment in the doing of His will,whether he takes us through sufferings or consolations. ”
    Brother Lawrence

Patty78 likes this.
  2. padraig

padraig Powers

I had one warm thought in the Park, I looked at the Lake, dark and still in the Night and thought of the Peace and the utter stillness of God. God does not get worried or confused or upset or ever, ever loose His Peace and I think as I stared and prayed looking into the Dark Waters a little of the Peace that not needing to think but simply to love and be a little of the Peace of teh Dark Waters of teh heart of God came to me too.

Philippians 4:7

Stand Firm in the Lord
    6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

[​IMG]

The Waterworks Park, Belfast.

3. Patty78

Patty78 Angels

My 7 year old daughter asked me tonight... If Adam and Eve had been obedient to God then there would be no sin in the world. I replied that we should´t blame Adam and Eve because we´re also tested everyday and most of the time we fail the daily test.

God willing! she will be celebrating her first communion in august this year and is now taking preparation classes at the school, but of course I want to help preparing her soul for that special moment. So I´m thinking that the visions of Blessed Catherine Emmerick are a good way for her to understand the whole picture, all the way from the creation of the world to the resurrection of Jesus.

Here a link to the detailed vision of the 40 days of Jesus in the desert:

http://tandfspi.org/ACE_vol_02/ACE_2_0001_out.html#ACE_2_0000009

josephite and Sam like this.
  4. padraig

padraig Powers

Its interesting in the vision of Blessed Catherine Emmerich that Satan came to him several times in the guise of good and holy hermits of the desert simply pretending that they wanted to join Jesus in the desert. It seems so harmless and good. It reminded me of the child molestors who jined the preisthood pretending to be good when their intention was evil and great ahrm to the Church. If only those in authority could have spotted themas children of Satan as Jesus did how much harm we could have all been spared.

It reminds me that prayer and fasting are great aids to discernment, that we can see much further and deeper in a desert than was can in a busy city. That that's why its good if we can to get away for a while, if we can. To Retreat.

The last time I was down in the forest they had a big retreat in the local country town. I did not attend it, though perhaps I should have. But I heard one of the priests mention that they had experienced real miracles while the Retreat was going on , including one powerful mass descent of the Holy Spirit. God gives as people need . I wish I could have seen that and experienced it.

Jeanne likes this.
  5. padraig

padraig Powers

You know suddenly this Lent I realise how very healthy and full of enrgy I am. I tis like I am glowing or something, sleeping like a dog too! How wonderful it,just shows the benfits of fasting and a quiet life. :):) Must do this more often. Also I feel spiritually very focussed and engaged, like I have gotten soem kind of spiritual energy bolt.:)

Thank you Jesus.

6. padraig

padraig Powers

I had a curious dream about St Padre Pio about two nights back. I dreamt I was in a wonderful old Italian Church and a group of lay people had formed their own Catholic Church group, there were I think about six or seven of them and the name of the grouping was I think ...C.... of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. I could see their leader quite well he was a guy in his fifties slim full of enrgy, a fighter , a saint as were the rest of the group. Very holy.

I also saw them inaugurating the grouping wearing robes and holding candles, one woman in particular. In either case the group seemed to be influenced by startling supernatural phenomena , including apparitions by the Blessed Virgin Mary. So the Church sent someone to investigate , I saw him as a Capuchin high Churchman (as he had some kind of skullcap. ) I saw him before the group as though examining them. But in their midst was Padre Pio elevated slightly off the ground. But then I saw Padre Pio going forward and sternly rebuking the Capuchin for the doubts he held about the group. He told him that as they persecuted him in life so this Churchman was about to prescute the grouping. He warned him not to war against God.

I saw the Churchman's face go white.

I have no idea what this meant , but as it was so vivid I just had to write it down. Perhaps it wil lhelp some Italian friend and give them encouragement. Who knows?:)

Ed Kleese likes this.
  7. miker

miker Powers

josephite, Florida Panther and Sam like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

A great article from Sister Althela Noble! So young and so much wisdom already.Wow!! I was looking at her picture and thinking of a kind of super religious Jodie Foster. :)[​IMG]

I love her quote from the late Justice Antonin La Scala,

'I attack ideas. I don’t attack people.”

[​IMG]

But my favourite quote the young Sister uses:

As Father Anthony Gerber pointed out in an excellent post on this subject: “Lent is … about failing miserably—about you reaching that third week of doing the difficult, of choosing the nails and thorns of love… But then denying Jesus for a few pieces of silver, of comfort, of selfish, selfish self-love. And in that moment, you’re going to be brought to your knees and you’re going to lift your arms to the heavens and say, ‘Lord, I cannot do this by myself! Lord, help me! I’m so bad at love!’” -

This cheered me up considerably as on Friday evening coming home from work I felt a little down in the dumps , very unusual for me and invited my brother and friend for a drink. So committing a triple whammy of breaking my own Lenten resolution and that of two other people.

But I think Fr Gerber is right God can draw much good from our failures..and I thought I was doing just so well this Lent.

But now I get to dust mself down, pick myself up and start all over again!.

But all in all failures and all it has been a really great Lent for me. Shaking tots of conwebs out, very happy.

Sister Theresa Aletheia Noble, FSP, is the author of The Prodigal You Love: Inviting Loved Ones Back to the Church. She recently pronounced her first vows with the Daughters of Saint Paul. She blogs at Pursued by Truth. - See more at: http://aleteia.org/2016/02/23/5-ways-the-devil-attacks-during-lent/#sthash.XHflbhFE.dpuf

Malachi, miker and josephite like this.
  9. padraig

padraig Powers

I think in a way our hearts are like the Eucharist itself, having to be constantly broken in order to be shared.

That perhaps the real point of Lent is that we fail, rather than that we succeed.

miker and josephite like this.
  10. sterph

sterph Archangels

I too lapsed on Friday. Her article helped me as well. Being shown my helplessness somehow comforted me. I renewed my resolutions for the Lord's sake and for those who I am sacrificing, and not for my own pride in a job well done so to speak.

11. Denise P

Denise P Archangels

This Lent I have committed, when I am home, to spend an hour a day at Eucharistic Adoration at our parish which offers it Monday-Friday. So far I mostly pray and read several of the devotionals that I have committed to, and pray for those who ask for my prayers, and some who don't. We also have the Way of the Cross on Fridays which I attend. Last Friday I got to Adoration before the Way of the Cross, so I had been there for a good while. As I drove home I was feeling such peace and serenity until I was stopped at a stop light, and on the car in front of me was a sticker that was written in pink-- like it would be a cheery message that said "Vomit God". At first I thought I might not be reading it correctly but as I was stopped at the light for awhile I realized there was no mistake. I couldn't see the driver but my serenity that I was so enjoying left me then and I felt called to offer this person up during all the Adorations I will do for the rest of Lent. It was quite unsettling. So if you you think about it in Adoration, please join me in praying for a change of heart for this person.

PotatoSack and josephite like this.
  12. sterph

sterph Archangels

I will pray for that person... but I would ask that we pray for all persons that espouse that belief as well. It is becoming like an epidemic anymore.

Denise P likes this.
  13. padraig

padraig Powers

Funny I was walking over the mountain late in the evening last week, hen I met a woman I would say in her forties, walking on her own and she stopped and said to me how great it was to see the bright evenings back in for walking. I said a hearty, 'Thanks be to God, Winter is over', but she looked at me and said, '...it has nothing to do with God , it is the way the planet has to do in relation with the sun!' ..and gave me such a stern look.

How strange for an Irish woman of her generation to have such a atheistic viewpoint.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  14. sterph

sterph Archangels

More and more, people are hostile to God. Makes me so sad.