July Feast Days

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by TinNM, Jul 6, 2021.

1. miker

miker Powers

It’s been a wish of mine for several years to do The Way pilgrimage. The thought of hiking/walking /camping and meeting other pilgrims is something I think would be fantastic. I imagine the time to reflect about God and his relationship with me and interacting with others would be spiritually powerful. Who know now with all the craziness if it will ever happen for me? In the meantime, I walk and hike in my area close to several beautiful Marian Shrines.

Sam and TinNM like this.
  2. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

And so indeed, that is what the Martin Sheen, Son Emilio Estevez movie, "The Way" is about.

The Way (2010) - IMDb

I guess the plot is that his son dies over there...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Sam and miker like this.
  3. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Of all things, it's been online since 2013 so, I doubt if this is something pirated, Gloria TV does have this movie online for free.:

The Way (2010) – gloria.tv Now, that I think about it, about 10 years ago, I did see "The Way"... I happened to see some other interesting looking film at that website in German, also, it was posted not long ago, how they had "October Baby", pretty good.

There seem to be a few books out related to "The Way" movie...I didn't look at those real close.

--------------------------

Also, also, just in case for anyone, the Novena to Saints Joachim and Ann just started, Pray More Novenas - Novena Prayers & Catholic Devotion Pray More Novenas is a website I like, they had day one today, all I will say is perhaps sign up and find that Novena.

It looks like it's all on this page: St. Anne Novena - Pray More Novenas - Novena Prayers & Catholic Devotion

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  4. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Relic Tours began in 2010 with eight California Bishops writing to Bishop Dominique Rey of Fréjus-Toulon (where the relic resides in the South of France), asking his permission to have the relic come from the Cave of Sainte-Baume (where Mary Magdalene spent the last thirty years of her life) to California for a one-month tour, and visit churches in their respective diocese. Then it was necessary to get permission from the Apostolic Nuncio (a country’s permanent diplomatic representative of the Holy See) in Paris for the relic to leave France. Because the Dominicans have been guardians of the relic for 800 years, it is their duty to accompany it in travel to the United States and remain with it each day of the Relic Tour.

Mary Magdalene Relic Tours - Magdalene Publishing

A great relic tour here in the US, I'm sure some must have seen it.

Cave of Sainte-Baume (where Mary Magdalene is said to have spent the last 30 years of her life):

[​IMG]

Grotto (saintebaume.org)

Magdalene's grotto[edit]
    According to the Tradition of Provence, Mary Magdalene, Lazare of Bethany, and Maximinus, one of the Seventy Disciples and some companions, expelled by persecutions from the Holy Land, traversed the Mediterranean in a frail boat with neither rudder nor mast and landed at the place called Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer near Arles. Lazarus came to Marseille and converted the whole of Provence. Magdalene is said to have retired to a cave on a hill by Marseille, La Sainte-Baume ("Holy Cave", baumo in Provençal), where she gave herself up to a life of prayer and contemplation. The cave is now a Christian pilgrimage site.[1]

Louis IX of France visited the grotto in 1254. The site was under the management of the Dominicans when it was pillaged during the French Revolution. They subsequently returned in 1859 at the behest of Jean-Baptiste Henri Lacordaire.

In 1941, a hostel and school were established to serve as refuge for those fleeing Nazi persecution.

Sainte-Baume - Wikipedia
    One of the Aletia articles below opines that this is probably just legend per the cave at Sainte-Baume.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  5. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

This is interesting, the concept of MM being somewhat of a woman of not the best reputation seems to be a product of the Middle Ages, per Aletia:

The mistake of identifying her with a repentant sinner actually has a more recent origin, in the Middle Ages.

Was Mary Magdalene a prostitute? (aleteia.org)

Also:

Gnostic and New Age versions

Thanks to many pseudo-historical novels and gnostic texts, people are once again proposing a version of the Gospel in which Jesus had a “special” relationship with Mary Magdalene, as if she had been his wife or lover.
    So, maybe we are to gather, she has received a bad rap, sounds like it.

More general information type articles:

6. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Catholic-made film, Loyola University-Los Angeles, less than 30 minutes. Mary Magdalene has a daughter Sheila. I'd like to know there sources on this. This is a real 1950s type film, pretty tame.

Another film, Italian made, "Close to Jesus: Mary Magdalene", obviously dubbed from Italian.

Neither of these seem very strong at first blush but there are probably some positive takeaways.

"The woman with the alabaster jar with oil", it's not clear as to who this is, who anointed Jesus' feet...washed them with her tears and dried the feet with her hair.... this source discusses a bit of this: Was it Martha’s sister Mary or Mary Magdalene who washed Jesus’ feet with her tears and dried them with her hair? | Busted Halo (in short, no real proof of that per the writer).

That said, none of the accounts suggest any involvement by Mary Magdalene. If indeed there was a historical event of a woman anointing Jesus in a particularly extravagant way, we will simply never know who it was that enacted such a loving gesture for Jesus. Perhaps it was Mary, Martha’s sister, or perhaps it was done by another woman whose name has been lost to us forever.​

"The woman with the alabaster jar", one will find countless modern references to this, from the New Age to this song, a Christian song for those who jump to conclusions, sung by a Korean singer, this song is pretty humble, there is no reference to Mary Magdalene here.

It's amazing all that is made of this and yes, some errors on MM early on may have distorted how many came to see her.

This seems to be a good write-up on her:
    Saint Mary Magdalene - My Catholic Life!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  7. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

More on this "veil of Veronca", I saw the image with a man from church, I said, "oh, you have the image of the veil of Veronica" and he said, "no, it's the image of Manoppello, the veil of Veronica doesn't exist, we've been over there", hard to argue with that, so I didn't but further research does seem to say the two are close to the same but technically, it might be an error to say that.

There, on Sept. 1, 2006, he came face to face with the town’s most cherished relic—the “Volto Santo” or Holy Face—more popularly called, albeit erroneously, as the “Veil of Veronica.”

Read more: https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/2253...inding-of-the-veil-of-veronica/#ixzz71ZDBqyns
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Mystery of Manoppello: The finding of the ‘Veil of Veronica’ | Inquirer Lifestyle

[​IMG]

It looks to me a bit like a primitive painting, how can one account for the eyes? But some scholars are trying to say it is not made by human hands (see links). Add to that, you've seen those overlays of the Shroud of Turin with the image of Divine Mercy? I understand they are overlaying this image as well according to this couple at Church. They had some sort of image.

A book on it:

[​IMG]

So, read the above, this image when laid over the Shroud of Turin favorably (perfectly?) matches up.

EWTN did a story:

The Mystery of Veronica's Veil | EWTN

Complex matter, I will have to try to read one of these books... EWTN lists another however, it may be in Italian.

BTW, it was just on copy paper but the man gave me the image, it looked like he had a whole lot on this including the overlay images.

[​IMG]

Hard to say.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  8. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

Veronica's veil does exist. It's kept hidden away in the Vatican but has been brought out on certain occasions for veneration. It's so old and worn that it's hard to make out the image on it, but in 1849 there was a miracle during its veneration. The image of Christ's holy face became not only clearly visible, but seemed alive, crying tears. The pope called in artists to draw what they saw, and so you will see slightly varied drawings of the Holy Face, which are all copies of the artists' renditions of the face of Christ seen on Veronica's veil.

The image of Manoppello is something totally different.

9. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

20210724_152615.jpg
    The Holy Face of Jesus, as seen on Veronica's veil during the miracle of 1849

Sam likes this.
  10. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Feast Day, July 25th:

James the Great - Wikipedia ,

James the Great, also known as James, son of Zebedee or as Saint James the Greater (Aramaic: ܝܥܩܘܒ ܒܪ ܙܒܕܝ; Arabic:يعقوب; Hebrew: יַעֲקֹב‎, Yaʿăqōḇ; Latin: Iacobus Maximus; Greek: Ἰάκωβος; died AD 44), was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus according to the New Testament. Saint James is the patron saint of Spain and, according to tradition, his remains are held in Santiago de Compostela in Galicia.

[​IMG]

This is the finale of that movie "The Way" (of St. James) when they arrive at the pilgrim site after their long journey., Santiago de Compostela, see about 2:10 in, a huge censer (incense burner) is used in the Church, I've never seen that done, it takes a small group of men to swing it:

For one day, apparently formed is airing a new film as well. Santiago: THE CAMINO WITHIN - Santiago: THE CAMINO WITHIN - FORMED

That would be some trek to make, hundreds of miles to walk.

Some of those churches in Spain are very old, this in Covadonga goes back at least, before the year 1000 A.D. Some churches in caves, they probably needed these isolated places when the Moors ruled for 700-800 years.

Note:

In Santiago de Compostela in Spain, which is considered as the third most holy town of Roman Catholicism after Jerusalem and Rome, devotees traditionally observe the Way of St. James, the traditional pilgrimage to his grave. Prayers will also be offered at his major shrine and burial site, the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, which is very popular among pilgrims and tourists.
    Known as one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus Christ, St. James was the son of Zebedee and the brother of another apostle, St. John the Evangelist.
    St. James is the patron saint of Spain and of pilgrimages. He, along with Sts. Peter and John witnessed the Transfiguration of Christ. He was one of the first disciples to follow Jesus, was a witness to His Agony in the Garden, and was the first apostle to die a martyr.
    Feast of Saint James the Great on July 25 – Manila Bulletin (mb.com.ph)

Father Altman's parish is/was St. James the Lesser, different person apparently, San Diego California would also be named after St. James.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  11. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Veronica 7B.jpg By the way, someone said they were going to Abruzzo Italy, this image of Manoppello is located there. Veronica 7B.jpg
    Article from wikipedia: Veil of Veronica - Wikipedia The veil seems to appear originally in the apocrypha, "Acts of Pilate" I believe it is called.

12. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Today is not only the feast day, yes, of Saints Ann and Joachim but that of St. Anne de Beaupre of Quebec, Father Ronan Murphy spoke of her, it sounded like he said in one of his homilies that some of the reported "remains" of St. Mary Magdalen in France were transported to French Canada years ago.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Sainte Anne de Beaupre (newadvent.org)

Saint Anne de Beaupre appears to just be St. Ann actually. I welcome corrections.

Not the best photo I have seen this statue, I have seen a painted version too, so, they are somewhat massed produced I gather is proper to say. It's a great statue:

[​IMG]

Saint Anne De Beaupre may be the largest pilgrimage site in Canada and the USA.

A place of reportedly countless healings.

[​IMG]

Massive Basilica, the hills, surrounding area are named "Beaupre", hence, "Ste Anne of Beaupre":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Countless statues of St. Ann and daughter, Mary, this is a nice different-type of one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Sam likes this.
  13. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

[​IMG]

This may be a painted version of the first picture above. Just lovely statues of St. Ann and daughter.... St. Ann and St Joachim are known mainly through the apocryphal gospel of James which covers the life of Mary including her nativity; I thought it was a good read except for one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb, didn't really belong in there imho.

This is in Detroit.

[​IMG]

Microsoft Word - Document1 (asu.edu) (a mountain splits or something, that might just be in some copies)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Icon, I will have to find out why in some icons I see, they wear red.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Sam likes this.
  14. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Feast day, St. Alphonsa, she was born in India, became a Poor Clare. Some churches in the US may be named for her including one Syro-Malabar Church in Coppell, TX Home (saintalphonsachurch.org) and Syro-Malabar Church in MD. St. Alphonsa SyroMalabar Church Baltimore – An Eastern Catholic Church (stalphonsachurch.org) She is a relatively recently made Saint, born in 1910. Read more on her here: Saint Alphonsa | uCatholic (Canonized for a miracle from 1999, the healing of an infant).

[​IMG]

Feast of St. Alphonssa | Message - From St. Alphonsa Shrine Bharananganam | Fr. Abraham Thakadiyel |

Also, of course, the Feast Day of Blessed Father Stanley Rother hailing from Okarche, Oklahoma, one year ago, I really became acquainted with his story.

[​IMG]

Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine - Archdiocese of Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City, OK (archokc.org) So, a very elaborate Shrine is going to be built in Oklahoma? It sounds like it. One fashioned after his parish in Guatemala? There is lots on him.

I appreciate his great sacrifice, well, I'm sure it would serve as a Church. It's certainly something to build something like that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  15. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Sam likes this.