Joy, joy, joy

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by non sum dignus, May 29, 2022.

1. non sum dignus

non sum dignus Archangels

Even in suffering...Joy

Even in persecution...Peace

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying:
    “Holy Father, I pray not only for them,
    but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
    so that they may all be one,
    as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
    that they also may be in us,
    that the world may believe that you sent me.
    And I have given them the glory you gave me,
    so that they may be one, as we are one,
    I in them and you in me,
    that they may be brought to perfection as one,
    that the world may know that you sent me,
    and that you loved them even as you loved me.
    Father, they are your gift to me.
    I wish that where I am they also may be with me,
    that they may see my glory that you gave me,
    because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
    Righteous Father, the world also does not know you,
    but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
    I made known to them your name and I will make it known,
    that the love with which you loved me
    may be in them and I in them.”

Are we willing to accept it?

Joy, peace, gratitude, love.
    I feel as if I am exploding with grace!

Rosalia66, Byron, Ang and 10 others like this.
  2. Carmelite

Carmelite Principalities

My very favorite Bible reading. How he loves us:)

Catherine L, miker, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  3. AED

AED Powers

An infusion of joy is just what we all need! Wonderful scripture.

HeavenlyHosts, miker and Jo M like this.
  4. non sum dignus

Carmelite...
    I have been exploring joining a lay Carmelite group for a few months at the suggestion of my Spiritual Director. This fall I will likely become a postulent, at 60 years old!

Decades of reading St John of The Cross, St Theresa of Avila etc. etc. have confirmed my affection for the Carmelite way. I think God has been patient enough with me!!!

This particular group observes the Great Fast, daily Mass and dedicated mental prayer etc. and seeks to live the Rule of St Albert as presented by St. Theresa according to our lay state.

Katfalls, Byron, Sam and 9 others like this.
  5. miker

miker Powers

Wonderful! God bless you in this vocation.

Rose, Sam, Mary's child and 1 other person like this.
  6. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Wonderful!

Sam, AED and Mary's child like this.
  7. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

God bless you, NSD. :)

Sam likes this.
  8. Mario

Mario Powers

A wonderful vocation. My "favorite" member of Christ Our Light parish in Pulaski has chosen this path also.

Hooray for the Carmelites, though I must say Therese of Lisieux is special to me.:)

Katfalls, Sam and Carmelite like this.
  9. Carmelite

Carmelite Principalities

That's wonderful. It's been a huge blessing to my life. There's two Carmelite Orders: O Carm ( not the reformed) and the Discalced Order ( reformed by Teresa of Avila) Which one are you joining? I belong to the Discalced. The formation is awesome and having a community who shares the same charism of prayer is encouraging. I will keep you in prayer. Just so you know we have someone 80 years old that's just joined formation a few years ago. Haha. There are 12 in our community and one man currently discerning:)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Byron, AED, Mario and 2 others like this.
  10. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

We have 35 in our community! We meet this week, I so look forward to that. We are a discalced also.

11. non sum dignus

Discalced.
    I have heard that some Carmelite groups do not take the rule of St. Albert very seriously. The one I am considering does take the rule seriously (as St. Theresa teaches) but also finds in the rule itself enough flexibility.

Of course the best thing for me would be to have to be answerable so I can stop always doing what I want.

Do you find it hard to submit? Do you do the Great Fast?
    I am a married man with adult children and I have heard the rule can sometimes be harder to balance for those in the world (not of the world).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Sam, Mario and AED like this.
  12. Carmelite

Carmelite Principalities

You have a large community, that's beautiful! Ours is a fairly new community. We started as a study group and now we are officially a community. Our next step is canonical approval. Three phases.
    I think one has to be very discerning which community you belong too. Like in Teresa's time some have loosened up a great deal on obligations. We have a secular constitution book, formed for lay members based on the rule of St. Albert, approved by Rome.
    We have members who have big families and small children and they have managed. It takes time to implement the way of life, but by the end of formation it fits like a glove. You get a little rhythm down. It does take sacrifice, but that's part of asceticism anyhow. If your called to it, it will work easily into your life. When you say the Great fast what do you mean? We have obligatory fast days on certain Carmelite saint days. I don't think Canada does the Great Fast:)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Mario likes this.
  13. non sum dignus

From the Rule of St Albert…

[16] You are to fast every day, except Sundays, from the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross until Easter Day, unless bodily sickness or feebleness, or some other good reason, demand a dispensation from the fast; for necessity overrides every law

14. Carmelite

Carmelite Principalities

Interesting...our Constitutions are based on St. Albert Rule, but adjusted to lay vocation. Such as we wouldn't have our own cell etc. Some of the rule is based on monastic living I guess some communities add the Great Fast. I never knew that. It's not done In Canada. This is a website that shows our norms. I see it's an American site. http://www.secularcarmelite.com/daily-life.html
    Is yours a traditional branch of discalced Carmelites?