is Ancestry.com or myheritage more popular in Ireland?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Waiting by the window, Sep 26, 2018.

?

Have you built your family tree with Ancestry.com or with Myheritage?

1. Ancestry.com

100.0%
  2. MyHeritage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I am wondering for the Irish readers if you know which family tree building website is more popular? Thank you for your answers

2. any name you wish

any name you wish Archangels

I think way more people do ancestry, pretty much everywhere in the English speaking world. I just did their DNA thingumy and I think I got some matches in Ireland.

Waiting by the window likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Praying

I know a lot of people who have used Ancestry.com. I know a lot of people from the USA who have discovered cousins over here in Ireland they never knew the had before the test and have found out a lot about where they came from with great joy. I like that side of it.

Part of me wants to also do the DNA test but I don't yet feel like putting my DNA up in a big global database just yet. Maybe i'm over cautious.

4. any name you wish

any name you wish Archangels

I also uploaded my results from both 23andme and ancestry.com to myheritage to see what their ethnicity estimate would be, from the 3 of them I think that ancestry was the most accurate. I think ancestry's database is larger, too. My heritage is sort of a start up, if I remember correctly.

5. I totally agree with you about the DNA test as I have not taken part in that. The reason I asked about which tree builder site is because after you go back about four generations there are a lot more people that are distant relatives. I would have thought that ancestry.com would be more popular, but I have found many more European relatives through the smart matches offered by MyHeritage.

6. Marykelly

Marykelly Principalities

Irish Genealogy. ie is a very good for accessing birth ,marriage and death certs free of charge
    Also Find my Past .uk very good database , not to expensive with access to all types of information
    I have been researching my family tree a number of years and have tried websites you mention but found these brilliant
    Hope this helps
    Mary