Ireland’s Official Return to Paganism

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by sparrow, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

Thanks everyone for prayers and help. Would love to be well enough to commence something soon, only if it is God's Will though!

AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  2. AED

AED Powers

Scary. St Michael defend Ireland!!

3. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

I know very little of what goes on in Ireland, but have read of a tradition of "The Puck King," wherein a little goat is captured, taken into town/village, fed choice oats (or whatever), and is crowned "The Puck King" by a little girl. He is cooed over and "celebrated" in family-friendly way.

After two or three days (?), the goat is released back into pasture (or the wild?).

I thought this was an innocent and charming thing.

Is there a darker side to this tradition?

Is it still done?

4. Dolours

Dolours Guest

No. If it had pagan origins they have long been forgotten. I was there once many years ago and all I remember of it was that it seemed like a horse fair and the pubs were open late. The goat was in a cage elevated on a kind of makeshift tower. It seemed happy enough and nobody paid much attention to it when I was there. I don't know what the fair is like now.

I think the origin may have been some kind of mockery of the English king. If so, that would have been centuries after paganism had died out.

AED likes this.
  5. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Funny, when I read DS7's description this was my initial thought.

AED likes this.
  6. DesertStar7

Oh. :)

I saw a black and white (1940s?) photo in a book I've long since parted with.

It was just so cute -- the little goat was certainly enjoying the attention and extra food!

7. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

The Puck Fair is held every year in Kilorglin Co Kerry.

DesertStar7 likes this.
  8. DesertStar7

Aw. :) Do you go? It's still with a child crowning a little goat, which is pampered with love and lots of good food?

grimisocks likes this.
  9. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

I never go lol. Bit too twee for my tastes. Afaik the goat is still crowned by a little girl.

DesertStar7 likes this.