Innocence and “Puff the Magic Dragon”

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by BrianK, May 20, 2022.

1. BrianK

BrianK Powers Staff Member

2. border collie

border collie Archangels

That was my favourite song as a child taught by a memorial teacher. I met a school pal recently whom I hadn’t seen for over 50 years. Both of us could recall the teacher and the song.

Jo M, josephite, Mario and 3 others like this.
  3. grimisocks

grimisocks Archangels

And i thought the song had some sort of hidden meaning for taking drugs. In particular where 'chasing the dragon' is a euphemism for smoking heroin.

Sam, josephite, Byron and 1 other person like this.
  4. BrianK

I’ve read that too, but regardless of any hidden meanings by it’s performers or hippy audience, to many of us it was a simple cherished tune of our youth. I think that’s what Desmond was saying.

Sam, AED, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  5. Ananchal

Ananchal Vigilans

Well o_O Who knew? (n) That tells you how innocent or should I say naive some of us are lol :LOL:

6. miker

miker Powers

Thanks for this post Brian….the timing is impeccable. Just today my wife and I were talking about our childhood lives and even into early adulthood lives after marriage and starting to have children. It was a time of innocence and simplicity in many ways. It was not that there was no hardship or pains, but even through that there was a clarity - a sense of order and “calmness”. I even called it a sense of blessedness. And we said that that is gone in many ways and while we mourn it a bit for ourselves, we have a real sense of pain and loss of this that our children and now grandchildren do not experience what we did. I will say, I felt a bit of an oppression , even perhaps depression as I thought about it. But, then, thanks to the grace of God and His gift of the Holy Spirit… I snapped out. And I thought, this is what evil one wants…. To give up, to surrender. And we can’t. Not that I can win the battle on my own, but only through His grace. We as parents and grandparents and all even without children…. Need to be the salt, light, and leaven of this world to give our families the hope of this innocence again. It has to start in families. Slowly I’m sure, but it needs to start. There will be good days and not so good, but somehow as Christians we need to give our families reasons to hope and ultimately that is making sure they know the Good News of Jesus Christ!

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Flathighc, Sam, HeavenlyHosts and 6 others like this.
  7. Mario

Mario Powers

The key to remember, whether it be our generation, our children's, or the grandkids, we must always point out to them families who have been faithful. Shining examples, whether parent or grandparent, or friend; broadcast that a holy life is within everyone's reach if one willingly surrenders to God! :) Look and see. This is holiness!

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Sam, HeavenlyHosts, Carol55 and 5 others like this.
  8. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

As a mom in my mid 30's, something I've always longed for--even in my teens and 20's--are wise, grounded, devout older people to help guide me on my way. I always thought older people would have spent so much time working through the issues of youth and growing in wisdom and virtue that they would be full of answers and reassurance for us younger folk still struggling. But that hasn't been the case in my family, except for my favorite grandpa to a certain extent... who is sadly passed away now. Last year when I was really struggling with all that is going on in the world, I called my other grandfather who is a lifelong Catholic daily Mass-goer in his 80s. I was hoping he could share his wisdom with me and give perspectives that would calm my fears...but he was just as afraid as I was! In fact, he seemed MORE afraid than I was, and I ended up feeling guilty that I'd brought up the subject at all. It's like with my mother...I have to spiritually comfort and reassure her more than the other way around.

I've been wondering if that's part of the problem in our world...That somewhere along the lines, wisdom and calm strength wasn't passed on to the next generation, and now there isn't that quiet, strong presence us crazy young people can turn to to stem our anxieties and influence our thoughts.

So I do think those of you who have wisdom to share with the younger generations should do so. We're starved for it, whether we realize it or not.

Flathighc, Sam, HeavenlyHosts and 6 others like this.
  9. padraig

padraig Powers

Our Lady of Good Success said that in our time there will be few Virginal souls in the World. An end of innocence. Young people are rushing into adulthood far too quickly.

Sam, Byron, HeavenlyHosts and 7 others like this.
  10. andree

andree Powers

I see the same thing as you PF, which is sad. I often think of something Sr Emmanuelle said in one of her videos: there is a difference between tranquility and peace. Tranquility is when everything is going well and all is calm - the job, the income, the family, the house, the neighborhood, etc. Peace comes from within, from union and trust in the Lord and does not depend on any circumstances around us and we can have it with or without tranquility.

I've wondered if the elders around me had tranquility rather than peace. It seems in the past it was easier to have tranquility because there was so much material comfort and people who had it thought it was peace. I know I also felt tranquil for years, oblivious to the mystery of iniquity that was pretty advanced and progressing everywhere.

11. Jo M

Jo M Powers

An urban legend that's been floating around for years.

grimisocks, Sam, PurpleFlower and 4 others like this.
  12. AED

AED Powers

Good post.

Sam, Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  13. padraig

padraig Powers

Father Peter has the most horrible beard I ever saw in my entire life.

But he does have a good teaching about the difference between a false , 'Peace' and a true Peace.

14. BrianK

I’m not sure that even qualifies as a beard…

padraig likes this.
  15. padraig

padraig Powers

Poor man. But Capuchins are not supposed to shave either and some of the early pictures of poor Padre Pio's beard, when young, are well...not so good either.

..ahh but those eyes...those beautiful young eyes...doorways to heaven..

[​IMG]

16. Mario

Mario Powers

Good observation, andree! This is why a life of prayer and fasting is so important. It keeps us rooted in the depths of our souls!

Philippians 4:6 Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Sam, Jo M, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  17. andree

andree Powers

Excellent! "The Peace of God is a gift from the Holy Spirit." There you have it - we must pray and ask for this Peace!

Flathighc, HeavenlyHosts, Sam and 3 others like this.
  18. BrianK

Good to know, thanks.

19. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

Yes Jo M. It's all discussed here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff,_the_Magic_Dragon Peter, Paul and Mary have denied this. I would be really, very sad if it was true.

EDITED TO ADD:
    PurpleFlower, Maybe this can help?

“My Immaculate Heart Will Triumph"

Published: Saturday, 08 February 2020 11:28

We are in a very difficult time in the history of the Church. It seems that they are hitting us from all sides. We suffer attacks against the family, marriage, life and common sense. But what hurts us most are the blows we receive within the Church herself, because of infidelity and the sin of many of her members. The objective of this attack, although coming from such seemingly varied fronts, has a common characteristic: it is an attack against hope. The devil wants to wrench hope from our souls and defeat us through disappointment and discouragement. An army that loses hope in the victory fails to fight. And if it does fight, it seems that it has already surrendered, and the enemy walks all over it. But when an army is sure of its triumph, it fights relentlessly until victory. That is why Benedict XVI, in his Encyclical Spe Salvi, says: “The present, even if it is a trying present, can be lived and accepted if it leads to a goal, if we can be sure of this goal and if this goal is so great that it justifies the effort of the way.” Only when we are sure of our future, the present becomes bearable. But our future is not only bearable, our future is wonderful because it is the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which is much closer than we think. But that triumph, as in any other battle, will not be free.

[Please continue reading here, https://www.garabandal.it/en/live-g...E7IGjYgrky_VBsncyzxgCGpuNBnrTJv7dmn12QllJS9c]

Sam, Ananchal, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  20. miker

miker Powers

Somewhat coincidental and related to this thread on innocence…. My oldest son called me late last night. He was choking up and crying a bit / saying he was just overwhelmed and anxious. He is a dad of 3 little girls- aged 4, 2, and 1. And thanks be to God, a new baby - another girl- coming on June 1St. They all live in a tiny tiny home. He is worried about job, health, Etc. And he was anxious that he could be a good father through all of this. Asking how I (and my wife) did it? I gulped a bit because I wanted words of comfort and wisdom. And then no doubt the Holy Spirit took over. All I could blurt out is we made our mistakes in life - we all do- but as I get older - all I can say is trust and go to God in all things. It does not mean life then is perfect but it means you have the peace that Jesus gives as in todays Gospel. All I could say God loves you

I thought after the call how blessed I am that I could share that with my son. Thank you Lord.

And almost as confirmation this song came on radio and I googled to hear it again. Thought it said it all! Peace

Dusica, Sam, Jo M and 6 others like this.