If you don't do this, start now!

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by PurpleFlower, Sep 22, 2021.

1. AED

AED Powers

With modifications probably but I made it the old way. It has dry milk and soy flour and a bunch of other good things. Im sure the recipe is on line. It came from the agricultural school at Cornell.

HeavenlyHosts and PurpleFlower like this.
  2. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

When I came home from Medjugorje back in 1995, I fasted for many years on bread and water all day until around 10AM the following day. Then we had a Rosary prayer group at our house on Friday nights and people started bringing snacks which I could avoid, but then someone suggested pizza. ;) Well, that was the end of fasting all night! Little by little over the years I have been negligent about fasting, but continued to give up eating between meals and either breakfast or lunch, but did have dinner. Now, I am on a special diet that consists on soft foods only, and really have no appetite for them. I remember Vicka saying that if we didn't fast as Our Lady asked, God would make us fast. :(

3. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Uh oh!

4. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

Ask and it shall be given unto you:

https://www.food.com/recipe/cornell-bread-for-a-bread-machine-113238

When I originally found and made this bread, it also called for a tablespoon (IIRC) of "nutritional yeast". I've stopped adding it because it added a "tang" that I didn't like, didn't really add anything to the nutrition, and no recipe I've found in recent years has included it.

EDIT: Don't know if you can do this in the bread machine, but you can jazz it up if you want by adding raisins and/or sunflower seeds to the dough. My original copy also noted that you can improve the healthy characteristics of any bread you make by adding 1 Tbls of non-fat powdered milk and 1 Tbls of wheat germ to the bottom of your measuring cup before measuring each cup of flour.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    AED and PurpleFlower like this.
  5. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

Great. Reading this has reminded me of how long it's been since I baked bread, because my kitchen is just too small. I think I may have to shell out the money to buy a bread machine so I can get the taste, even if it's not like making it myself.

AED, PurpleFlower and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

If you keep talking, I’ll have to buy a bread machine for myself.:p:coffee: Then it will be harder for me to fast in between the butter and possibly jam:mad:

AED and PurpleFlower like this.
  7. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

Thank you! I do put 5 Tbsp of powdered buttermilk in my bread and use 2 cups of whole wheat plus oats and oat bran, so it's pretty nutritious!

AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. AED

AED Powers

LOL. I no longer use a bread machine. I'm back to hand baking. During the shutdown I did a lot of baking. And eating. With butter and jam.:eek: It showed up in my blood work for my annual physical. Yikes.i had to dial it way back.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  9. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

:eek: But it’s good that you can bake bread by hand. I can’t. Turns out like rocks.

AED likes this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I did order a bread machine. :p

PurpleFlower and AED like this.
  11. AED

AED Powers

Good on you!! They do wonderful work. Fresh home made bread is a real gift. Nothing like it!

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  12. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

(y)