I haven't received Communion in a long time.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Sep 26, 2020.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Founder of Claritas

At Easter time, Masses were cancelled in my diocese and only re-opened sometime in the summer; I can't remembered when, but I assume it was long after the time frame in which you can fulfill your Easter Obligation. My diocese has forbidden Communion on the tongue and thus, the few times I go to Mass, I do not receive Communion.

There are now talks of a second lockdown coming, and I'm wondering; do I still have an obligation to receive Communion, even though I couldn't fulfill my Easter Obligation through no fault of my own?

2. Mario

Mario Powers

That obligation was suspended or at least postponed until the opening of the churches due to covid 19, RW. It seems you desire to find a Latin Mass if you want to receive? A nearby Diocese?

I consider receiving on the tongue as a top priority; I can't remember the last time I received in the hand. However, it is not a sin to receive on the hand, especially in order to fulfill the postponed Easter duty.

Your desire to receive on the tongue out of reverence for the Lord brings joy to the Sacred Heart; but unlike receiving on the tongue, the Easter Duty is a precept of the Church and should be fulfilled by all Catholics. If I were in your shoes, with no Latin Mass available, I would receive in the hand. And be at Peace!

Jesus, I trust in You!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Booklady, Dolours and RosaryWielder like this.
  3. christian channel

christian channel New Member

no one is forced to received communion in the hand, i reccomend you very much to receive in the tongue while kneeling, you dont have to receive it in the hand.
    the paschal prescept is to receive holy Communion at least once a year (canon law)

The Church's official Regulations From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal
    #160. The priest then takes the paten or ciborium and goes to the communicants, who, as a rule, approach in a procession. The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another. The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing.

Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the Sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.