I bought this statue today!

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by RosaryWielder, Jun 23, 2020.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Archangels

Booklady, Clare A, Julia and 10 others like this.
  2. Mario

Mario Powers

Great idea, RW!(y)

San Junipero Serra, pray for us to be more effective evangelizers!

Booklady, Tanker, Don_D and 5 others like this.
  3. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Archangels

Whoa! I was in the middle of a debate with people on Saint Junipero Serra, and I was going to post a video on him by the Franciscan University of Steubenville, and I've just discovered that the video is not there anymore! :eek: I don't know if FUS took it down or Youtube took it down, but I find this a very troublesome development. :unsure:

Julia likes this.
  4. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I bet that it was flagged as a result of the recent calls for mob justice and YT gave in to the mob. It might very well be a good idea to try to archive as much as possible the video's as well as books that are available online right now if possible. There will be places we can re-host them as this becomes more common place. Unfortunately most of the large content providers like YT are aligned to the mob. Freedom of speech in the public domain is a thing of the past. This will only lead to extremism which very well may be their real goal.

HeavenlyHosts and RosaryWielder like this.
  5. garabandal

garabandal Powers

If they ever come for the statues of our Lady and our Blessed Lord in my local church they will have to kill me first because I will defend the honour of our Lady and our Lord to the shedding of blood.

6. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Saint Junipero Serra’s Story
    In 1776, when the American Revolution was beginning in the east, another part of the future United States was being born in California. That year a gray-robed Franciscan founded Mission San Juan Capistrano, now famous for its annually returning swallows. San Juan was the seventh of nine missions established under the direction of this indomitable Spaniard.

Born on Spain’s island of Mallorca, Serra entered the Franciscan Order taking the name of Saint Francis’ childlike companion, Brother Juniper. Until he was 35, he spent most of his time in the classroom—first as a student of theology and then as a professor. He also became famous for his preaching. Suddenly he gave it all up and followed the yearning that had begun years before when he heard about the missionary work of Saint Francis Solano in South America. Junipero’s desire was to convert native peoples in the New World.

Arriving by ship at Vera Cruz, Mexico, he and a companion walked the 250 miles to Mexico City. On the way Junipero’s left leg became infected by an insect bite and would remain a cross—sometimes life-threatening—for the rest of his life. For 18 years, he worked in central Mexico and in the Baja Peninsula. He became president of the missions there.

Enter politics: the threat of a Russian invasion south from Alaska. Charles III of Spain ordered an expedition to beat Russia to the territory. So the last two conquistadors—one military, one spiritual—began their quest. José de Galvez persuaded Junipero to set out with him for present-day Monterey, California. The first mission founded after the 900-mile journey north was San Diego in 1769. That year a shortage of food almost canceled the expedition. Vowing to stay with the local people, Junipero and another friar began a novena in preparation for St. Joseph’s day, March 19, the scheduled day of departure. On that day, the relief ship arrived.

Other missions followed: Monterey/Carmel (1770); San Antonio and San Gabriel (1771); San Luís Obispo (1772); San Francisco and San Juan Capistrano (1776); Santa Clara (1777); San Buenaventura (1782). Twelve more were founded after Serra’s death.

Junipero made the long trip to Mexico City to settle great differences with the military commander. He arrived at the point of death. The outcome was substantially what Junipero sought: the famous “Regulation” protecting the Indians and the missions. It was the basis for the first significant legislation in California, a “Bill of Rights” for Native Americans.

Because the Native Americans were living a nonhuman life from the Spanish point of view, the friars were made their legal guardians. The Native Americans were kept at the mission after baptism lest they be corrupted in their former haunts—a move that has brought cries of “injustice” from some moderns.

Junipero’s missionary life was a long battle with cold and hunger, with unsympathetic military commanders and even with danger of death from non-Christian native peoples. Through it all his unquenchable zeal was fed by prayer each night, often from midnight till dawn. He baptized over 6,000 people and confirmed 5,000. His travels would have circled the globe. He brought the Native Americans not only the gift of faith but also a decent standard of living. He won their love, as witnessed especially by their grief at his death. He is buried at Mission San Carlo Borromeo, Carmel, and was beatified in 1988. Pope Francis canonized him in Washington, D.C., on September 23, 2015.

RosaryWielder likes this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

Wonderful!!

May God grant us patience. But if the history of th world teaches us anything it is,

'This too will pass'.

All this screaming and hot air and hate.

This too will pass. The world seems to go through periods of burning books and art and statues and stopping people thinking freely. Then it comes to its senses again. Its like a sudden fever.

A fervent madness.

8. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Archangels

I just heard that they are now calling for mobs to storm churches and smash statues and icons of Jesus and Mary, on the grounds that they are ethnically inaccurate.

Wow that was fast!

9. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Source?

10. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

garabandal likes this.
  11. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Archangels

12. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Archangels

In secular college and university, I learned something interesting about the history of British Columbia, during the early day, there was a lot of fear among the government officials about the colony undergoing, "Californiazation." What was "Californiazation?" well when the Gold Rush occurred down south in California, there was a lot lawlessness, and one the things the law officials would do down there, is hunt the indigenous peoples down like animals and slaughter them, so that they wouldn't interfere with the prospecting; that was a real form of genocide. Why am I bringing this up?

Well up until a couple of years ago, when you typed-up "Californian genocide," you wouldn't get the Gold Rush, you'd get St. Junipero Serra and his Missions. I think it's highly possible that one of the origins of the myth of St. Junipero's Missions being a form of "genocide," is that it was way of drawing attention away from the actual genocide of the Gold Rush, by trying to vilify St. Junipero Serra as being part of the Spanish Black Legend.

13. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Ethnically inaccurate, yes. BUT what that suggests to me is COOL IT! Don't touch religious art before learning the reason.

Good luck finding ethnically correct statues unless you personally paint.

The Holy Family hide in Egypt because Herod wouldn't look there. They were from Nazareth.
    Just my personal opinion.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  14. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Ethnicity can be blurred. There are great
    variations of skin, hair and eye color amidst the same ethnic groups. Hair can be straight or curly.

Joan J likes this.
  15. ESanti

ESanti Angels

At almost the same time... they damaged and beheaded the Sacred Heart of Jesus statue in Spain. We´re seeing all sorts of hate through "social movements". And then...

[​IMG]

in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, the German Comunist Party has unveiled the statue of no one else than the "devil" Vladimir Lenin last Saturday 20/06. Sad times that we didn´t want to live. Let´s pray for them.

[​IMG]

Sam, HeavenlyHosts and RosaryWielder like this.
  16. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

Let us keep close in our hearts the words of Jesus. 'Rejoice when they persecute you & utter all kinds of slander against you for my name.'

His Day of Mercy/the Warning is close at hand!

ESanti, Sam, Booklady and 2 others like this.
  17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

That’s right, Joan.

Booklady and RosaryWielder like this.
  18. Rosalia66

Rosalia66 Principalities

Morning. Today is the feast day of St. Juniper Serra.

St. Serra please pray for us in a particular way today.