I am challenged by those I live with

Discussion in 'The Spirit of the USA' started by Mark Dohle, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:21 AM.

1. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Archangels

MonasteryOfTheHolySpirit01.jpg

I am challenged by those I live with

Every day in community life I am challenged by those I live with. It is my own limitations, wounds, and yes my desire to be the center of the world, the community,
    even if unconscious, that causes many of my problems. The “Conversion of Manners’ vow,
    gives me a way out, in the sense that it leads me to take responsibility for my situation and to not seek to blame others.--Br.MD

Beth B, HeavenlyHosts, Julia and 3 others like this.
  2. Christy Beth

Christy Beth Principalities

At least you have people around you with a similar sense of purpose. And enough caring to challenge you. I live alone with just my cat, and I'm the only Catholic in my family. So, I have to stumble along the best I can. I can't seem to go very well, but I'm not giving up just yet.

Byron, Beth B, HeavenlyHosts and 4 others like this.
  3. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Hang on in there Christy. At least the cat will always be faithful in loving you. People have a habit of letting us down, God bless them.

Byron and Beth B like this.
  4. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Archangels

Not giving up is the secret, a holy stubbornness is always needed. You are probably doing better than you think. God does work in secret, if we knew what he was about in our souls, we would gum it up for sure:whistle:

Beth B and Sam like this.
  5. Mario

Mario Powers

Yes, for sure!:rolleyes::)

6. Timothius722

Timothius722 Archangels

Christy ... you may feel lonely but you are not alone. God loves you immensely as our Blessed Mother. You have the love of the heavenly host of Angels and Saints. We your brothers and sisters love you. Your guardian Angel loves you. I will pray that the warmth of Gods love pierces your soul. It is true that during this evil hour for mankind many are left alienated and lonely and Satan tempts us to despair, rebuke him and know you are a daughter of the Most High, King of the Universe. You are precious beyond all description. You consume the Body and Blood of our precious Lord Jesus Christ! You are blessed beyond description.

7. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

Oh how true! I truly can imagine how wonderful and yet difficult it would be to live in a cloister. If there are persons who are always cutting corners when the rest are all striving for union with God, it would be difficult especially. Once years ago I was at a picnic for our religious in our area, and there was a middle age priest who was in street clothes. He was known for pulling things at the Newman Center, like using yeast bread and taking the kneelers out. Anyway, some young priests were there in their collars, and this liberal priest kept jibing them about wearing a habit and wanting to stand out as priests. I became very angry and defended them, later praying for that liberal priest and the young ones that they continued to have the courage to dress in their habits and witness. I then realized how the devil must really try to spread discord in the religious life!

8. SteveD

SteveD Archangels

I met a very jolly and sweet nun in Medjugorje years ago. She told me that at every retreat the priest would go on about the difficulties that naturally arise among women living together and encouraged healing, reconciliation and forgiveness among the sisters. After several such retreats, she spoke to the priest at the last meal before his departure and told him that whatever went on in other communities, she couldn't recall the last time that two sisters in theirs had a 'cross word' and that all the sisters all got along famously and wondered if he might talk about something else next time he came. She said that he seemed astonished but promised to change his theme if and when he returned. 'We're nuns for goodness' sake, she said, 'if we can't get along, who can?'

(I was sitting next to the same nun at the airport and was smoking - this was a long time ago - and realised that some of the smoke was blowing her way. I apologised and went to stand up. She grabbed my sleeve and sat me down and said that she used to be a smoker until she entered the community and loved the smell of tobacco!)

9. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I think you are doing very well! I have enjoyed hearing from you.

Sam and Beth B like this.
  10. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Hey Christy Beth....you’re forgetting us! We are you brothers and sisters in Christ! You most definitely are not alone! We at MOG are one big catholic family. Just think, hopefully we will all meet in heaven! How awesome. I can’t wait.
    We are incredibly lucky to have been utterly blessed with faith! Thank you dear, sweet Jesus!

Byron, Sam, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  11. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Yes sir!

Mark Dohle and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  12. Christy Beth

Thanks everyone. It's always nice to get encouragement from others.

13. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Boy, you nailed that sad, liberal priest. Misery was looking for company with that one. He needs prayers!

Carmel333 and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  14. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

That was actually a pretty funny story Steve....
    True story...I told a nun friend how hard married life was and that she was lucky to have a vocation as a nun . She simple replied...
    life is challenged for every vocation “...
    I totally understood her sentiments....
    Life isn’t easy for any vocation if it’s done right at all.

Sam and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  15. Christy Beth

I remember one time, years ago, the one priest that was at my church when I became a Catholic, headed a pilgrimage to Israel. After coming back, he said during mass that this was the only way to get close to God. I got mad and left. Later, I had a chance to speak with the Archbishop about it. And he said, "you mean he said the pilgrimage of life?" And I said no, the type of pilgrimage he had just been on. I mean, if that was necessary to get close to God, then the way was cut off for millions of people who either can't afford to go or see more important things to spend money on, like helping the less fortunate. I mean, I've been on low income for longer than I've been a Catholic. So, apparently getting close to God, and thereby getting to heaven, is cut off for me. Even now when my income has improved some, I'm still unable to go on one. I don't know if the Archbishop ever spoke to him on the matter, but I sure hope he did.

HeavenlyHosts and Beth B like this.
  16. Mario

Mario Powers

His pilgrimage was very special to him, Christy, but you are right. How many of us make it to the Holy Land? For hundreds of years most Catholics who were serfs never journeyed more than a few miles from home! Jesus indwells our hearts and is never far from us:

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Psalm 131:1 O LORD, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. 2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a child quieted at its mother's breast; like a child that is quieted is my soul. 3 O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.

Sam and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  17. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

That reminds me of Bishop Sheen when he said one time that hearing confessions from Nuns was like getting pelted by marshmallows. Then he would give that grin and his eyes would twinkle. I sure miss him. . . .

Byron, Sam, Mario and 1 other person like this.
  18. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

I think as we grow in our spiritual journey with God, we realize that everyone has a different amazing experience that brings them closer to God. For some it can be as simple as receiving the Eucharist, or reading scripture, and for others an apparition or other supernatural event that is more rare. But whatever it it, for each it IS an experience directly from God and brings them closer to Him. I would love to go to the Holy Lands as I'm sure most Christians would also, to walk where Jesus walked as a man, but I too am dumbfounded that a priest would say something so spiritually immature as to say it was the only way to get close to God!

Christy Beth likes this.
  19. Christy Beth

Although it's been almost 24 years since I became a Catholic, I still feel so new to it. At first I did all the reading I could to learn more about the faith, but I've gotten away from that. I guess part of it is the simple fact that I don't have the budget, or house room, to get all the books I'd like to read. Plus, I'd much rather be in a class run by the priest, or someone else with plenty of training, so that any misunderstandings could be cleared up immediately. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had someone I could ask questions of. But everyone seems so busy with their lives. I hate feeling like an only child. Which is weird since I know there are plenty of other Catholics around. I remember back in 1998 being a part of a group, one night they got to talking about who they were grateful for in their lives. People who supported them in many ways. I had to leave because I didn't have anyone. I mean, I'm the only Catholic in my family so I can't go there for anything. My mom has never been supportive. Well, I don't want to complain. Anyway, I went outside when I left this group, and one of the men followed me and show me some support. He really helped me work through stuff that night. So I didn't feel like such an outsider. We took a break over the holidays that year, as did other groups, and when we started trying to get back together it basically fell apart because everyone had such weird schedules. Finding a time and place to meet was impossible. So that group ended, and I haven't found a group since then to be a part of. Oh, that man who followed me out that night is now a permanent Deacon. He really knows his stuff. Oh, and he is still as calm as ever. I guess I can be a bit of a drama queen when I get upset.

Sam likes this.
  20. Mario

Mario Powers

Is that deacon still available, Christy, at least by phone? Don't be bashful, after all, a deacon's calling is one of servanthood. To contact one should never be an imposition. :)

The Son of Man cane not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom!

HeavenlyHosts likes this.