How long does it take to be free from a sexual addiction?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Jan 30, 2019.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Hoping to get into the Illuminative stage soon.

How long does it take to be free from a sexual addiction? I've heard things ranging from like, a couple of months to 6 years! Does anyone know how long it takes?

2. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I think that it is something that can vary pretty wildly RW depending on the person and the dedication to identifying and avoiding things that can set one down the road of abuse. No doubt, like any addiction it will be hard going at first. Many people have a very hard time on their own accord and need a support group of some kind. Usually other people with the same battles.

RosaryWielder likes this.
  3. Mmary

Mmary Guest

There is a group-based (can be online) Ignatian spiritual growth program called 40 weeks of Sacred Story...very user friendly and encouraging. St Ignatius called himself the worst sinner and he found a way out of addictions and habitual sin. He also developed a roadmap for the rest of us and is famous for developing rules for spiritual discernment. Formed.org has the videos, and some resources for free, although having a group would help you see that you are definitely not alone in your struggle with sin. If you checked at your diocese, or searched online, you might find a group to join. I am finding it very instructive AND it has given me precious hope. I was at my wits end with habits and addictions. It takes a lifetime, but this Sacred Story program is well worth a look.

Frank Markus and sterph like this.
  4. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

A Lifetime :(

Frank Markus and cornhusker like this.
  5. Rain

Rain Powers

How long is a piece of string? Figure-out this one and you'll have your answer.

6. Frank Markus

Frank Markus Archangels

Regarding severe addiction, the first three weeks are the most difficult. After one month, feeling is much stronger and better, depressions go and work-attitude comes. After about three months brain will have fully rebooted in terms of hormones, so joy of life and strength is back, but the old pathways in the brain are still there, although unused. So relapse is always a danger for many many months. Like an alcoholic, even when clean, must always be on the lookout.
    Candlemas is on 2 Feb, feast of purification. Nice day to start again.
    Our Lady of Good Success, pray for us. Associated with Candlemas. Look up the prophetic messages from the 17th century under this title of our Lady, and how she said who will reign in the 20th century and beyond and how the passions will erupt. This is stunning prophecy and should give us strength as it puts everything in context.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. RosaryWielder

Is anyone aware of any online forums or groups where can get support from other people struggling with this addiction? I don’t have anything here.

8. Rain

Rain Powers

Rosary Wielder, give this link a try:

https://saint-mike.org

One of their missions is to provide online counseling for people with sexual additions. I don't know if they're still operational, but it's worth contacting them to find out.

RosaryWielder likes this.
  9. RosaryWielder

Thanks everyone, I'm going to be starting a 3-week fast starting this Tuesday, and will focusing the majority of my prayer intentions for the following three months on overcoming this addiction, and then a triple Rosary novena after that. I'll be looking into other suggestions mentioned on here as well.

I've realized I've been too obsessed with other things going on in the Church and the World right now, and have been distracted from saving my own soul. I need to focus more on taking care of my own soul first, before I can focus on helping others.