Holy Thursday 2021

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by Mark Dohle, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Powers

Holy thursday.jpg

Holy Thursday

Holy Thursday is when for many Christians, Jesus instituted the Eucharist. A sacrament that shows the absolute intimacy that God has with his creation, presented to us in sacramental form. It is a controversial sacrament and many mock it. For Christians who belong to the Catholic, Anglican and Orthodox traditions however it is central to their (my) worship and devotion. Bread and Wine, something ordinary and common, yet it becomes under that form, the Body and Blood of Christ. It is very unspiritual and for many and seems unenlightened. Yet it shows for those who believe the oneness and love that God has for us his children. I can’t explain it really. The church uses the word “Transubstantiation”, meaning that the substance is changed but the physical qualities remain the same. The only way to perhaps understand is to live a Eucharistic life, to experience the healing and power that comes from the devout receiving of this precious sacrament.

Our faith is all about becoming more human, not less. It is love and the sacrifice that love demands that makes us human. It is not power, which seems to be the driving force of most of what goes on in the world and causes so much suffering. To control, shame, to coerce and punish, is the way that the world acts and the church can often fall into the same traps, which is worse really and only opens itself up to well deserved scorn and derision.

Jesus also washed the feet of his followers. An act of great humility and love, showing us something else about God’s love and humility towards his creation (just as the Eucharist does); taking the form of a servant he showed the 12 the meaning of true spiritual leadership. Jesus tells us it is about service, love, humility…. the will to power has nothing to do with the kingdom of God.

I am neither humble nor yet a servant, and I am still in the grip of wanting to control and make the universe revolve around me; it is second nature. I believe that this reality, points out for me, why the death to self is necessary in order to attain the freedom to become free and loving children of God.

When I ponder this, I understand the need of the incarnation, death and resurrection of Christ, though the mystery of it all is still far from my understanding. I just try to live it, fail, but it does not matter, I just get back up. I am quite good at that, getting back up.—Br.MD