Hip pain

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by "Quis ut Deus", Mar 23, 2021.

1. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Looking some advice from either a good hip doctor, physio or similar,

I was diagnosed with arthritis in both my hips some 15 years ago but I have always felt they either missed something or got it wrong.

Anyway things have went down hill over the last last year. In pain whilst sleeping, near impossible to bend down to lift something from the ground or tying my shoe laces.

The pain I have isn't in my hip joint but at the top of my pelvis it's even sore to touch.

I'm absolutely fine walking and don't have pain when I'm moving /working
    Just when I stop.

Any info would be great.. Thanks

2. Jo M

Jo M Powers

I am certainly no expert, but I do have arthritis and bursitis in my left hip, so here's my 2 cents. It was so bad at one point I couldn't do stairs at all. I had to have physical therapy, along with steroid injections that reduced my pain dramatically. When you are inactive your joints get stiff, and can cause discomfort while sleeping, or sitting for awhile. It sounds like you may also be dealing with hip flexor inflammation since it hurts to bend and lift. You have my sympathy, hip pain can be debilitating, and unfortunately it tends to get worse over time without intervention. If it's possible you might benefit from an MRI, it's really the only way to know exactly what's going on with that hip.

3. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Could be your SI Joint. Does it affect both sides? Does the pain run down your legs or only in the general area?

4. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

You might find this hard to believe, but my husband has jello every night for his hip pain. If he forgets to eat it, the pain comes back. He will be 78 in Aug. once in awhile I have hip pain and It helps me, too.

5. Byron

Byron Powers

Try taking Curcumin for inflammation, and stretch every morning. There are stretch exercises that you can google. And read up on fascia. A really good physical therapist can help you with that. Try to find one who specializes on fascia. Praying for you.

josephite, Julia, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  6. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

I have arthritis in my right hip. My shallow hip sockets exasperated that genetic malady.

If I don't have at least 2Tbs of cherry juice concentrate p day, it's much worse. I do have 2 capsules of collagen daily. I'll try the jello for a week.

I can walk fine, usually. Bending at the hip really aggravates the hip flexor for me. It definitely it felt down the side of my thigh.

All is identical to my experience with the left side prior to that being replaced 2 years ago. Yes, I found a great surgeon, expert on anterior approach. He & his PA are stellar.

josephite, Sam, Julia and 1 other person like this.
  7. Donna259

Donna259 Powers

I have arthritis in my knees. I take Curcumin daily and find it helpful. It is an antiinflammatory that matches Advil without the consequences to your organs. I balked when my doctor told me to try it. After a month I was convinced.

josephite, Julia, Byron and 3 others like this.
  8. "Quis ut Deus"

It can from time to time radiate down my left leg but I know that this maybe sciatica caused by whatever is going on in the hip, biggest problem is a proper diagnosis, too many shrugs of shoulders from the professionals, trying to get them to do an mri is near impossible, If I could get a proper answer as to what it is I could deal with it, It can be a mental strain when you don't know..

Pain can make you very grumpy and I already have a short fuse. I have looked at different things that may be causing the pain but although some of the symptoms match they don't exactly tick all the boxes.

If you run your hand along the front part of your left pelvis (lilac crest) my pain is exactly there so not in the hip joint, sciatica nerve so definitely bone pain and not muscle, the only thing that comes close to a diagnosis is Piriformis syndrome but not exactly.

josephite, Beth B, Julia and 3 others like this.
  9. AED

AED Powers

I often have pain in the pelvic area near the hip joint. Sometimes it can be so bad I can barely move. It is sporadic and hard to pinpoint what triggers it. For what it is worth my MD says it is arthritis. Very much the worse on the left side. I have wondered if I am looking at a hip replacement in my future. I am sorry the doctors shrug. And no chance of MRI. As I was reading your post I thought of Jacob and the angel who left him with a bad hip.:(
    Also isn't the legendary Fisher King (CS Lewis uses him in That Hideous Strength) afflicted with a bad hip? I think so. I pray and hope you find a solution but in the meantime at least you are in good company.:love:(n)

josephite, Beth B, Sam and 4 others like this.
  10. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

Have you tried exercises called 'bridges'? A neuro surgeon recommended them to me when I had excruciating sciatica pain. I did them for three days and the pain was gone! It was miraculous. Now I do them every day. You get on the floor on your back. Lift your knees. Raise your butt. Do three sets of ten. And don't give up!

josephite, Beth B, Sam and 4 others like this.
  11. "Quis ut Deus"

:eek: Never heard that story before :D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I was once told when I lost my job about the shepherd breaking the lambs legs and I do love my mountains alone, think its time to stop wrestling with Jesus or at least let him win before he moves onto another part of my body :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

josephite, Beth B, Byron and 2 others like this.
  12. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

Maybe arthritis of your lower spine?

Maybe a prostate issue?

Julia likes this.
  13. "Quis ut Deus"

:eek::eek::eek: Dear Lord I hope not I'm still a young man ill only be 52 on friday :eek::eek::eek::D

14. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Thank you!

josephite, Beth B, Sam and 2 others like this.
  15. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Quis, it may very well be your SI joint which attaches your lower spine to your pelvis.

josephite, Beth B, Byron and 4 others like this.
  16. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Well that's just sad that you can't get an MRI when you are in clearly in pain. It sounds as though you have a lot going on with that hip region, and it has reached the point where it is affecting the quality of your daily life. I don't know what the healthcare situation is where you are, but could you possibly give it another go with your healthcare providers and tell them that the pain is getting worse, to the point that you are now suffering from lack of sleep. Everyone here has given you great advice, but please make an appointment to discuss this with your doctor, you certainly deserve a proper diagnosis and treatment, not a shoulder shrug. :(
    Praying for you. +

17. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Cheer up. One of my daughters will be 50 in December 2021. She had a hip replacement November 2019 and already has pain in the other hip. She expects to have the second hip replacement before the end of this year.

Originally she damaged her hip mountain climbing, and did not listen to mama and get a good osteopath to realign her bones. She carried on running to keep herself fit and strong....and now she will carry the cross for the rest of her life. Oh, how did she manage to keep running with the pain? painkillers.

I wonder if you are able to get an MRI/CT scan to see if there is damage in the affected area of your body. I don't want to scare you but to be honest ask if there is a blood test that would give indication of any precancerous conditions going on. Earlier treatment for these things have better outcomes. God bless.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  18. Byron

Byron Powers

Another small suggestion is to sleep with a pillow under your knees. And if you turn on your side, maneuver the pillow between your legs. This little trick has helped me. Julia is right about the blood test. It’s always important to test for all possibilities.

19. Joan J

Joan J HolySpiritCome!

I initially felt the same. I had my 1st hip replaced at 52 (2yrs ago). The PA told my Dad& I it was genetics. Shallow hip sockets paired w arthritis. The surgery & recovery proved amazing and remarkable.

Find an expert in Anterior hip replacement!!!

No general anesthetic. I had been managing with pain long enough, anything associated w recovery was very manageable WITHOUT narcotics.

I'm ready to have the other done (after my hand is fixed).

20. "Quis ut Deus"

Thanks guys for the great information.
    I tried my doc's today and have to ring back and try again for an appointment tomorrow :whistle: at this rate I might just to pay for an MRI myself. Last night was another sleepless adventure.

As for bloods they were done in November and all good,

One thing I should have added I tested positive for HLA-B27 gene when I was 30 and back then they had a look at my tailbone for Ankylosing Spondylitis it only showed wear and tear in my hips. Maybe need to revisit all of that again.
    Thanks again God bless you (y)