Here and There..

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Jun 9, 2021.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Thank the Good Lord , just finished seven nights on the night shift and I feel like a child who has just escaped school.:):)

Just feelings of joy, delight really in a deep experience of the Presence of the Holy Spirit.:) I know emotions are not everything, but still in this vale of tears are such a Gift. We are told at Pentecost that people thought the Disciples drunk. This would I suppose because they too were full of joy. How lovely to think of Our Lady like this, drunk with joy after all she had been through.

St Teresa of Avila once said, 'Save me from sad faced saints!' :)

Joy is always present of course with Faith but sometimes it kind of leaps like a lamb. It exalts and leaps and dances.

Where does this delight come from? The fires of Holy Spirit descends and the heart burns. The Spirit comes and blows where and when it will.

Philippians 4:4

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

[​IMG]

2. padraig

padraig New Member

I was listening again to , Sam Clement's (Mark Twain's) 'Tom Sawyer' the last few nights. It took me back a bit since I haven't been there since childhood and I view it now, so many years years later as an older man. St Paul tells us that that the spiritual man views all things spiritually so I also view the book with the eyes of living Faith.

1 Corinthians 2:15

…14The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man judges all things, but he himself is not subject to anyone’s judgment. 16“For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.…

Sam was writing about incidents that really happened, he tells us both to himself and his friends in their own childhood, way back in about the 1850's in the (then) tiny village of Florida, Missouri in the Southern United States.

The community was Presbyterian. Its so clear their Faith really impinged on their lives. The Minister really believed that their denomination was the only way to go. Such very firm belief you so rarely get these days. When I was young we Catholics believed like this. Now we tend to consider ours as only one way among many and I have even of priests desuading people from becoming Catholic. But if any Faith does, if all Faiths are true, then no Faith is true. I far prefer the old ways; either you are right or you are wrong.

They were taught the Gospel both in school and at Sunday school. Sam Clements was such a genius and brings it all so to life. Faith meant so much to this generation, they considered passing it on to the next generation as supremely important. Again I think we have lost this. This also had very, very fixed ideas of right and wrong. Again so often long gone.

One thing I found in Tom Sawyers young life which may be the same for many children (including my six brothers) was a natural disinclination to Church and prayer. This touched me because I, as a child, was the exact opposite, I loved to pray and loved Church.

I love Sam Clements and I love his books but one thing I would take issue with him for and that is he lets children off somewhat lightly for doing things that are wrong. Tom and his tow friends run away for three days to an island to play pirates causing their families immense concern and causing them to think they were all dead. I think Sam lets them all of very lightly for this. Children from a very,very young age are able to tell right from wrong, good from evil, which is why we permit them to receive the Eucharist from such an early age.

There is a lovely scene from the book were the three rise from the dead so to speak and appear at their own Funeral Service Church causing scenes of great joy. It reminds me of the Prodigal Son. Then the all raise the roof singing ' Old Hundred' (All people that on earth do dwell).

Wonderful.

[​IMG]

3. padraig

padraig New Member

Last the light in my kitchen went out.

Yesterday evening I went to the Hard Ware store to buy a new one. My friend there advised my to buy two as new Government rules would mean I would have to change all my light fittings in two years time and no more such lights could be bought.

So I did so.

When I got home I tried to fit the bulb , but both fell out and broke. I checked utube ,I was supposed to twist them after putting them in. Which is why they both fell out.

Summoning my courage at facing laughter and derision at the hardware store I returned was laughed at as expected and came back with another two. Tried again .

These two failed to work.

Checked utube.. into the afternoon said I need a new part called a 'ballest. ' Went to hardware store.. sent me to wholesaler who sent me to another store down the street for collection. Met the most beautiful new Labrador puppy of owner.:)

Brought part home . Could not fit it.

Rang electrician who promised to be out at 4:30 . Threatened that he must install entire new unit . Heart sank.

6;00 rang electrician. .Forgot about me. Promised to be out in an hour.

7;20 no electrician. :):)

God is in this somehow.:D

God is in everything.

:)

Some where or other:D:D

My day off:eek::)

[​IMG]

josephite, AED and Jo M like this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

Wow ! The Electrician Brendan has just appeared! He loves Italy too and intends to retire there as well. We compared notes. He has agreed to fix things tomorrow for next to nothing.:)

My whinging about it on the forum must have worked. :D

I think I will keep his phone number handy for the future.. in Italia...:):):):)

josephite and AED like this.
  5. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Whoever thought that changing a lightbulb could open such a complicated can of worms. (n)

josephite and AED like this.
  6. AED

AED Powers

There is a joke that starts out "How many Irishman does it take to change a lightbulb....":LOL:

josephite, Jo M, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

I have been thinking yesterday and this morning how much prayer is like swimming in the sea of God loves. Deep, deep down with God everywhere. It reminds me of St Patrick's , 'Deer's Cry'.

'Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,'

(I wonder if this was based on the psalm 42?)

https://www.xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/documents/psalm42.pdf

As the deer longs for running streams,so my soul longs for you, O God.My soul thirsts for God, the living God.When can I enter and see the face of God?My tears have been my bread day and night,as they ask me every day, “Where is your God?”

AED, Donna259 and josephite like this.
  8. josephite

josephite Powers

I have always loved psalm 42

Why so down cast, my soul?
    Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him!

Thank you Padraig I needed to pray this psalm today!

1 As a deer yearns for running streams,
    so I yearn for you, my God.
    2 I thirst for God, the living God;
    when shall I go to see the face of God?
    3 I have no food but tears day and night,
    as all day long I am taunted, 'Where is your God?'

4 This I remember as I pour out my heart,
    how I used to pass under the roof of the Most High used to go to the house of God,
    among cries of joy and praise, the sound of the feast.
    5 Why be so downcast, why all these sighs?
    Hope in God! I will praise him still, my Saviour, my God
    6 When I am downcast I think of you: from the land of Jordon and Hermon,
    I think of you, humble mountain.

7 Deep is calling to deep by the roar of your cataracts,
    all your waves and breakers have rolled over me.
    8 In the daytime God sends his faithful love, and even at night;
    the song it inspires in me is a prayer to my living God.

9 I shall say to God, my rock, 'Why have you forgotten me?
    Why must walk so mournfully, oppressed by the enemy?'
    10 With death in my bones, my enemies taunt me,
    all day long they ask me, 'Where is your God?'
    11 Why so downcast, why all these sighs?
    Hope in God! I will praise him still, my Saviour, my God.

AED, Sam and Ananchal like this.