Here and there...

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Jul 25, 2020.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I was walking around the park yesterday considering some of my past sins. Some events come back to me now, forgotten or barely remembered that fill me with shock and shame..and even worse make me cringe with embarassment. I think to myself how could I ever have been so gross? Groan. But I thought also of the hurt I done to so very many other people, people I have never even met and will never ever even met. I thought of all the harm and hurt I had done. To sin is to throw a stone in the pond of Eternity, who knows where the ripples will go?

But then the Lord spoke to me,

'Padraig you know you are not alone in this, in being a sinner?'

I asked Him what He meant. He replied,

'Well look at hell, it is by no means empty. People did not go there by chance. They choose mortal sin, Mortal sin is not a minor thing , it merits hell. I did not lay down my Commandments in a random or arbitary way. Those who commit mortal sin deserve hell and that is why they go there'.

This shocked me a little. But then the Lord reminded me that God's Ways are not mans. That the reason why I was shocked by this was that the World has become so steeped sin that as Pope St John Paul 2 reminded us we have lost all sense of sin. So we regard at very, very serious sins such as sexual impurity as very, very minor or not sins at all. This is why the idea of hell as shocking and unacceptable. Truly God's Ways are not ours.

What a pity.

Isaiah 55:8

Invitation to the Needy
    …7Let the wicked man forsake his own way and the unrighteous man his own thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that He may have compassion, and to our God, for He will freely pardon. 8“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. 9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.…

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Patty, Booklady, Te Deum and 5 others like this.
  2. garabandal

garabandal Powers

For the past number of months the same thing has been happening to me Padraig, especially in quiet times of prayer or I'm out walking the dog, my memory will jog to a particular sin or incident where I have sinned. This has happened on dozens of occasions - and each time I am struck about how stupid I was and ask myself how could I have done that? What strikes me is the enormity of the sins, how casually I walked into the valley of darkness and how easily deceived I was. It really is shocking when you are confronted by these things and all you can say is 'mea culpa'. I have also felt a great deal of embarrasment thinking Dear God how horrible it would be to have these sins exposed in judgement in front of family or friends you would die of shock.

I have been wondering why this has been happening and hoped it was the work of the Holy Spirit. It is a real reminder that I am a sinner redeemed by the blood of Christ and that I don't deserve heaven but through grace God has transfomed me. I am a totally different person today than I was then but there is still lots for God to do. I also feel it may be happening as we are getting closer to the Warning of Garabandal God is 'spring cleaning' in advance and preparing us for that time so that the shock of revelation won't completely put us down. He needs some people to be strong after the warning to minister to the wounded and confused in our families and localities.

It is also a reminder to stay on guard and keep spiritual discipline because the enemy is strong and seeks to devour. We live in incredibly sinful times. We need to pray and make sacrifices for poor sinners.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Joan J, Booklady, Te Deum and 9 others like this.
  3. garabandal

garabandal Powers

They are not called the 7 deadly sins for no reason:cry:

Booklady, Shae, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  4. garabandal

garabandal Powers

May we have the sacrificial spirit of Jacinta, the flower of Fatima
    [​IMG]

Booklady, Te Deum, Shae and 4 others like this.
  5. garabandal

garabandal Powers

At the same time many people are in complete ignorance. They follow sinful secular society as their guide and this leads to perdition. How far society has fallen in the past 50 years -- into an abyss.

Dear Lord come soon with the purifying fire of the Holy Spirit to set the captives free at least for the sake of the little children.

Julia, Booklady, Shae and 3 others like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

It's a bit like an onion, you peel back one layer of sin and you find another. A bit like pulling back a carpet and finding nests or roaches underneath.

What really helps me is in being such a huge sinner. I have long known that I have to throw myself utterly unto the Mercy of God. A God whose mercy is infinite.

I love what Jesus told St Faustina, 'The great the sinner the greater the demands he can make on my mercy!'

But I admit I am thrown more than a little by are sins I committed AFTER my supposed conversion. I find this more than a little shocking.

But I am comforted by St Francis's words to the brothers each morning,

'Little brothers let us begin today!''

A Great time to Repent and to call unto the Lord for Mercy.

Julia, Booklady, Shae and 7 others like this.
  7. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

Speaking of hell, I had an experience of something back in January this year which frightened the living daylights out of me. I was told God gave me this experience to keep me on track, and that it certainly did. I'm trying to trust it was out of love that God gave me that experience just to wake me up a little and to give me a nudge in the right direction. They say God does for us what we can't do for ourselves, but sometimes he also does for us what we won't do for ourselves.

Patty, Booklady, Shae and 6 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

It goes back to the word,

'Numinous'.

adjective
    adjective: numinous
    having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity.

Which is to say God is not a pussy cat we can keep on our laps.:)

[​IMG]

9. AED

AED Powers

Look at the children of Fatima
    They were shown hell in all its horror. It changed them utterly. Prayer became their constant preoccupation---and penance for souls. Yet there are those who wonder why children should have been shown such a thing.

Booklady, Shae, Jo M and 2 others like this.
  10. AED

AED Powers

Good words Bobby. I have the same experiences. It keeps me humble. I have picked up the prayer habit of the 3 Hail Mary's. Late in life but better late than never. I offer them in honor of Our Lady's purity begging for her to keep me from mortal sin.

11. AED

AED Powers

Agree agree agree.

12. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

Hell is definitely not something to be taken lightly.

13. AED

AED Powers

We never hear about it from the pulpit. What a pity. Without armor or any means to identify the enemy. Unless we make an effort to find the truth. But the average Catholic in the pew has little concept of it sadly.

14. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I have been having similar experiences.
    I’m very grateful to be shown.

Booklady, Sam, AED and 3 others like this.
  15. Shae

Shae Archangels

I spoke to my Pastor one time in confession about past sins suddenly resurfacing in my mind from past years and that I don’t know for sure if I confessed them or not. I found it very troubling. He told me that was the enemy doing that and to put my trust in Our Lord.

Booklady, Sam, Te Deum and 4 others like this.
  16. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Thank you

Sam, AED and Shae like this.
  17. Mario

Mario Powers

You remind me of the Little Flower who was never into huge penances. I used to get upset over my failure to uproot sin: the famous "Not Again" syndrome!

Even though my woundedness runs deep at times, I am now comforted by her Little Way: she never downplayed sin, but ran to the Father's Arms confident of Mercy. She never held onto fear or regret; she drowned her sins in the ocean of Jesus' Love!

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Booklady, Sam, Rose and 6 others like this.
  18. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

Mine said the same thing. I trust in Divine Mercy. No human is worthy of heaven, Jesus in his Divine Mercy attained it for us. Just coming to that realization is a huge leap . . .and he talks about it many times in the gospels. We just need to listen. I get bogged down by those very same guilt trips, but just gotta pick myself up and move on. And practicing little sacrifices helps a lot, it's a very teensy way of giving something back.

Booklady, Sam, Te Deum and 5 others like this.
  19. padraig

padraig New Member

God's Mercy is so great! Sometimes I even wonder if great sinners are not even at an advantage. Why? Because the stuffing of pride is knocked out as we reflect on ours sins.

In the Middle Ages they used to generally believe that St Mary Magdalene was the greatest of all the saints because she was forgiven the most. They reckoned because she had been forgiven the most then she was bound to love the most she had the most reason to love in gratitude.

We see this reflected in Scripture where Jesus talks of Mary's tears watering Christ's feet.

Her Feast Day was recently and as I imagined her crying at the foot of the Cross I thought to myself, 'That crying comes from the very depth of her heart.'. Deep , deep sobbing that shook her whole body. This actually cheered me up as I thought to myself at least one person truly sorrowed for the death of Jesus.

The tears of the Sorrowful Virgin are such a huge consolation for the same reason. Now there was someone who knew to sorrow for the Death of Jesus. Mary suffers for us all.

HeavenlyHosts, Julia and AED like this.
  20. padraig

padraig New Member

When I got back from camping I was amazed at the crowd in Church at Mass. I thought perhaps it was a Great Feast Day that I missed but it was only the Feast of St Appolinarius, Bishop and Martyr. I thought again that perhaps some event had been planned but not so.

Recall this had been a Presbyterian Church until just about eight months ago when taken over by the Traditional Institute of Christ the King. I recall the first masses which had maybe 20 people present at most. Now perhaps over 200..and this had daily mass. Nor is it because of lack of Catholic Churches in the city, for I can count several Catholic Churches within easy walking distance of our new Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Why the huge success? Why are Catholics flocking even from long distances?

Well the first reason is holiness. The priests and Deacons and seminarians are living good ,deeply holy lives. Not only that but they are seen to live them. They pretty well live in the Church they serve, not away from it. So if you call to Church all you have to do is knock a door and they are there right away. The people see them praying in the Church on a constant basis. They really believe in the Faith they profess.

The second reason is I believe Eucharistic Adoration. They have Adoration ofr an hour, which the priests and other clergy attend and are seen to attend. Any Church can only succeed when this is done.

The third reason is the Traditional Liturgy. I know this does not appeal to many or even most. It is something of an acquire the taste. But when you do acquire it you end up hooked and think, 'What have I been missing'.

Another reason is the Church architecture, furnishings, art, vestments and so on. They are just so ..Catholic, not modernistic but steeped in the beauty of the ages. Its funny saying this of an Old former Presbyterian Church but it is far, far more Catholic in form and feel than any modern Catholic Churches I know. It simply works to aid prayer.

Another reason is that nothing succeeds like success . People are drawn to something that is so alive, thriving and growing.

There are probably many, many more reasons than this but these are some.

How will it grow in the future. Well I believe it will be closed down eventually by the Bishop. Why? Well simply because it is too successful. Other priests and laypeople seeing the crowds flock to it will become envious and angry. The Bishop included. Because it works so well it is a reproach to surrounding parishes that are quite frankly dying on their feet.

The ideal would be that people would look to the new Church, see its huge success and emulate what they are doing so that they too might share in this success.

But that would involve owning up to mistakes and a form of deep conversion; which is a very big ask really.

Anyway I am so enjoying our new Parish. A bit of heaven. A ray of hope as we walk into the Great Darkness that awaits...

Sam, Mario, Katfalls and 1 other person like this.