Helm's Deep!

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by Mario, May 30, 2008.

1. Mario

Mario Powers

The secular assault against godly standards in this country has greatly intensified, of late. The legal issuance of same-sex marriage licenses is scheduled to begin on June 17 in California. Recent prohibitive measures against homeschoolers in that Sate have been stalled, but not yet reversed. Meanwhile, the District of Columbia is currently attempting to gain control over the choice of curriculum for its homeschoolers, which would effectively usurp parental authority. Today, in New York State, Governor Patterson has activated an executive order authorizing all state agencies to recognize the marriage licenses of gay couples (and related benefits), married in either Massachusetts or Canada. Any official who resists will be accused of a human rights violation.

For those of you who have watched The Two Towers, or better yet, read the novel by J. R. Tolkien, recall the assualt upon Helm's Deep. Once the seemingly impenentrable, outer wall was breached, the heroic defenders necessarily had to retreat to the inner defenses. Only the arrival of Gandalf and reinforcements saved the day. My dear friends, whether it is the economy, climatic devastation, or societal decay, the outer wall could soon be breached.

The question of what course of action to follow, has weighed heavily upon my heart. It is a question that each of us can no longer forestall, though God's direction might vary given our personal situations. The Lord has asked me to join him at the front lines. I can no longer make occasional sorties and retreat to the safety of familiar ground. The prospect of hand-to-hand combat is very sobering, but for the sake of my children and their generation, I am compelled to advance. The world they are growing up in, is vastly different from that of my childhood 50 years ago. It cannot be reclaimed, now, unless the Lord directly intervenes. The Truth never alters, however, and must be upheld.

Until today, I was at peace awaiting the unveiling of the secrets and making an earnest stand, now and then. But, God has asked me to station myself on the outer wall and pour out my life in confronting the onslaught. This may sound like either noble or highfalutin stuff. It is neither. It is simply obedience, nothing more, nothing less.

The steps I must take are only now becoming clear. All I know is that this particular soldier must be unrelenting with no hesitation. There will be very little rest. Pray for me. I'm scared.

2Cor 10: 3-5 For though we live in the world we are not carrying on a worldly war, for the weapons of our warfare are not worldly, but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle to the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ!

BTW, I prayed for you all today. Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

2. Rain

Rain Powers

What? :shock:

You actually heard God ask you this? Distinctly and without a doubt?

I'm asking because I read about and talk to people who say "God told me this" and "God told me that", like they have regular back-n-forth converations with Him. This has never happened to me.

When I talk to God, it's rare that He ever talks back to me (at least in a way that I verbalize into, "God told me this. God told me that"). I rarely have certainty as to what he wants me to do. I can be certain He wants me to avoid sin and such . . . but, specific tasks . . . I dunno.

I'm not doubting you've discerned a message from God, Mario.

It's just something I wonder about. Because I hear a lot of Protestants say "God told me this", and it seems like they're using it as a figure of speech, not really meaning they actually heard God say the words. It's just their interpretation of what they've discerned after praying over something a long while. So, I'm just double checking to learn if this is what you meant.

I'm searching my brain. Out of many years on earth, I recall only two times thinking maybe I heard God's voice in a distinct way. One time in 1996 (or was it 95?). And another time, just a few months back.

But it wasn't a discussion. He spoke (maybe) and that was the end of the discussion. No input from me. I hope you're not offended that I'm asking you about this. Do you usually hear God answer you when you pray? For me it's a one way conversation (though I trust He hears me).

3. padraig

padraig New Member

I love Tolkein and especially Lord of the Rings. Tolkein was a very devout Catholic who used to go to mass every day and I've no doubt his books were closely based on the life of Christ...in much the same way as CS Lewis's were based on the same thing, with the Lion in Narnia being Christ. Frodo in the Rings is the story of the Christian or even Jesus. I often think that Galadriel the elf Queen is modellied on Our Blessed Lady.

I think, in talking of hearing the Word of God we are talking of the voice of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, like the gentlest of gentle breezes. But yes God does speak to us constantly though we have got to listen and more importantly want to listen. I also think that sometimes we have God underlying His words when they are very important in the path we have to steer. For instance the dream PAdre Pio had of fighting the devil when he was young, the dreams St John Bosco had, or the calling to the ghetto Mother Teresa had to work in the slums, on retreat just before she left to go into the ghetto slums of Calcutta.

I think as Deanna says they can be a little off putting if folks are constantly being micro managed by God who is ordering them about all the time,...but yes, I think God does at least point us about in a certain direction. For instance when Iset up this forum because I prayerfully felt Our LAdy, in the gentlest of gentle ways wanted me to.

I also think that Satan is also directing others, sometimes in very specific ways.....

4. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Mario,
    I will keep you in my prayers. Today I feel very dissapointed in the leadership of the Irish Bishops. As you are aware we are facing a vote on the Lisbon Treaty on June 12th. there is no doubt that we are handing over soveringty to EU in this. This treaty was originally the EU constitution and they refused to recognise Europe's christian heritage or acknowledge God in it. Our Bishops have basically hung out all christian activists and especially pro life groups and left them high and dry. They more or less said they have no problem with it and they censured groups who are introducing extraneous issues to the debate, i.e. our ant abortion laws. I guess the outer wall is being breached every where and it will be down to the defencless hobbits and ordinary folk to try and man the breach while we wait for the King to return.

God bless and we should all pray for each other especially today feast of Sacred heart and tomorrow is the feast Immaculate heart of Mary.

Mary

5. padraig

padraig New Member

I love Tolkein and especially Lord of the Rings. Tolkein was a very devout Catholic who used to go to mass every day and I've no doubt his books were closely based on the life of Christ...in much the same way as CS Lewis's were based on the same thing, with the Lion in Narnia being Christ. Frodo in the Rings is the story of the Christian or even Jesus. I often think that Galadriel the elf Queen is modellied on Our Blessed Lady.

I think, in talking of hearing the Word of God we are talking of the voice of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, like the gentlest of gentle breezes. But yes God does speak to us constantly though we have got to listen and more importantly want to listen. I also think that sometimes we have God underlying His words when they are very important in the path we have to steer. For instance the dream PAdre Pio had of fighting the devil when he was young, the dreams St John Bosco had, or the calling to the ghetto Mother Teresa had to work in the slums, on retreat just before she left to go into the ghetto slums of Calcutta.

I think as Deanna says they can be a little off putting if folks are constantly being micro managed by God who is ordering them about all the time,...but yes, I think God does at least point us about in a certain direction. For instance when Iset up this forum because I prayerfully felt Our LAdy, in the gentlest of gentle ways wanted me to.

I also think that Satan is also directing others, sometimes in very specific ways.....

6. Mario

Mario Powers

Rain,

If I have given the impression of direct, auditory communication with the Almighty that includes an unquestionable certainty of understanding, then I apologize. Perhaps I used the phrase, God has asked me, too flippantly. This was a gradual process of discernment which included the elements of prayer, Scripture, advice, examination of conscience, and most recently an indignation which has prodded me into action. That last element was the impetus for my conviction-filled entry. I suppose that, combined with battle imagery, got you wondering.

Sorry! :? I am no extrordinary Catholic, just rather wordy. Just ask Geralyn. :D

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

7. Rain

Rain Powers

Thanks for the explanation, Mario. It's not you, it's me. Somtimes I'm just too literal.

8. Lee

Lee Principalities

Mario, do you have some people, like a prayer group, who can cover you in prayer on a regular basis? If not, round some real prayer warriors up and get them with you, to intercede for you. It makes such an enormous difference. We of course are praying for each other. But if you are about to take something on, you need all the powers of heaven with you.
    Lee

9. Mario

Mario Powers

Very thoughtful of you!

And also rather practical. :D I have a little bit of the Lone Ranger in me. As the next few steps crystallize, I'll forward my needs to the various prayer chains and friends who will be viligant on my behalf. When I intercede, the more specific, the better! Thanks!

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

10. Mario

Mario Powers

I resurrected this prior post because I caught the last hour of The Two Towers which my children were watching this evening. It is thrilling for me to watch Aragorn and Theoden ride out as the Orcs swarmed into Helm's Deep. Theoden did so, not for glory, but because it was the right and noble action to take. Hope was bleak, not dead. This scene always rouses me to continue in faithfulness to the Lord. Circumstances may point to a path of discouragement; but, in God hope is always sure and strong.

I am reading the first book in the Harry Potter series. Apart from the implied thumbs up given to sorcery, the novel is dismal in its treatment of such themes as authority, obedience, and one that caught me off guard, large families. I don't have time now, but subsequent to my finishing the book, a few comments on what makes for quality reading may be forthcoming. This is so crucial for the young generation growing up before our eyes.

Safe in the Father's Arms.

11. padraig

padraig New Member

I was walking to Mass this morning, it had been very cold last night , well at least for Ireland -3C and the moon caught the frost all around me with its silver beams and made them glitter like billions of tiny diamonds, it was so beautiful in the silver darkness it would make you gasp. I think even people who are very far from God when they see such beauty must pause as I did and pray not with words maybe but at least in admiration of the greatest artist and poet of them all who touches the heart of men with frosty diamonds.

A few days ago I watched a video of a radio interview . There is a programme here called 'Top Gear' which is enormously popular. Its about cars. Tens of millio0ns watch it every week, it especially popular with men, as you might imagine, I suppose its a kind of souped up boys thing. :D

The interview was with one of the three presenters and it was supposed to be about the fall of the Car Industry. But the gentleman went far, far beyond this. He quoted from a film with Morgan Freedman as President when a meteorite was due to hit the earth. The people in charge told lies to everyone to protect the world from falling into panic. The presenter said we are being lied to at the minute, he says he was recently talking to two bankers and the wheels have, basically fallen completely off the world economy, thats its in the process of falling apart before our very eyes. What struck me was he wasn't talking from a religious aspect he was simply telling it like it is; not prophecy but of what is actualy happening before our very eyes. I also noticed that the radio interviewer never questioned or contradicted him, he just sat there with his mouth wide open taking it all in. At the end of it the presenter said we might as well find our selves a quite allotment somewhere and breed chickens for food. For money will soon be worthless.

There is an old Chinese curse, may you live in interesting times. These must, surely be the most interesting times since the Fall of the Roman Empire. If course I've been reading up on Our Lady's apparitions since I was just a small child, so I always knew things would come to this in the space of my life time, but its one thing to read about it' quite another to see it come to pass before my very eyes. What I am doing now is what Our Lady once did, storing them in my heart in prayer, p[raying for strength and wisdom and protection. Such things are not easy, they are very,very,very difficult indeed.

Our Lady asked us to see the Signs of the Times. Helm's Deep is another. But I do have a great confidence even among the unease and the fear, sometimes the great fear. I believe in the Darkest moment we shall see light.

I suppose in that sense Tolkein's novel is very prophetic. With Gandalf and the Rohan riders coming at the very last moment.

I never somehow ever really expected to see evil take such roots in Catholic Ireland, for when I was young the faith was so very, very strong. The irony is that its ex Catholics who attack the Church most strongly; the children destroying their mother. Its like watching a group of evil kids kicking their mother to death on the ground, it would tear your heart out. I must admit it makes me very angry. Still as Saint James reminds me:

'The Justice of God is not served by the wrath of man'.

But ,as I say I am full of hope; when in the morning I see the good God clothing the world in billions of diamonds, just for me and you...how can I not be? :D

Still it seems like being Pharoah faced with the ten plagues at the minute, its just one thing after another:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7770097.stm

Attached Files: