Heinrich Hofmann, painter of Christ

Discussion in 'Inspirational Stories' started by Blizzard, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

I have just recently found this wonderful artist and thought I`d share.

His art and personal story are very inspiring.

[​IMG]

Heinrich Hofmann (1824-1911), Self Portrait

Before he painted any scene from the life of Christ he deeply studied the Gospel. Often he would copy out in his own hand a whole passage from the Bible that inspired him. He not only read the Scriptures, but did his best to follow them. Many of his letters confirm that he gave financial support to needy persons. And his heart would deeply feel with those who suffered from loss of a dear one or from diseases. Of one of his paintings, he wrote: “Originally I had painted it for myself. I wanted it to hang over my bed, so that at night, before I would go to sleep, Christ’s eyes would ask me: ‘Have you lived this day according to my commandments?’ ” .

In my pictures I have never used a model for the face of the Savior — where on earth should I find one? When I read about Christ in the Bible there arises quite spontaneously in my mind’s eye a picture of his countenance — that is what I try to retain and reproduce.”

“Art history calls him a painter of historical paintings — if he is mentioned at all. But a future generation will pay him due respect as one of the few men and artists who helped to inspire the Christian communities when destructive thinking reigned everywhere.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DesertStar7, Sam, Michael Pio and 5 others like this.
  2. Blizzard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Byron, Katfalls, DesertStar7 and 15 others like this.
  3. Michael Pio

Michael Pio Archangels

Beautiful, mystical, how well Heinrich Hoffmann has captured the image of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Byron, DesertStar7 and Blizzard like this.
  4. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Blizzard,
    Thank you for sharing the paintings of this wonderful artist. I think his face is reflected in the face of his Jesus.
    Really beautiful and inspirational.

Byron, DesertStar7, Blizzard and 2 others like this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

Yes. Agree.

DesertStar7 and Blizzard like this.
  6. Blizzard

I read somewhere that his painting “Christ in Gethsemane” is reputed to be the most copied religious painting in the world. Of course few associate it with Hofmanns name.

It was acquired by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who bequeathed it to the Riverside Church in New York.

Lumena and DesertStar7 like this.
  7. miker

miker Powers

Not only are his paintings beautiful, I found his approach to live the Gospel message as best he could inspiring.

thanks for sharing this with us

DesertStar7 likes this.
  8. Blizzard

BUMP

DesertStar7 likes this.
  9. TinNM

TinNM Guest

Mr. or should I say Herr Hoffman certainly has some fine art and that portrait reminds me of Frederick Ozanam, they were contemporary to each other, Ozanam was the principal founder of the Society of St. Vincent dePaul though, Ozanam had a comparatively short life, he is "Blessed" now.

Blessed Frederic Ozanam Biography (I) - We are Vincentians

The portrait reminded me a bit of him,

[​IMG]

Relevant Radio (Catholic Radio) CEO is Father Francis "Rocky" Davis of Opus Dei, he hails from Chicago. He does the family rosary across America, good show.

But back to Hoffman and Ozanam, a lot of very admirable holy persons in that day, I can name others but these portraits struck me.

Yes, and I will investigate more into the works of Heinrich Hoffman.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Another fine work:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2022
    Byron, Sam and Blizzard like this.