Global Darkness: Michael Matt interviews the next pope

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by Blizzard, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

2. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

Schneider isn’t a Cardinal there’s no chance he’ll get a red hat in this pontificate. We can only pray that a good man in the college has enough support.

Beth B, Blizzard, AED and 4 others like this.
  3. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

There's always a chance with God!

Beth B, Clare A, Blizzard and 4 others like this.
  4. Byron

Byron Powers

Just seeing the snarky smiles between PF and Pelosi, tells me the next Pope will be theirs. But God may not allow their plans to happen. Which means we may not have a Pope for awhile after PF.

5. AED

AED Powers

It won't be the first time in Church history.

6. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

The next pope doesn't necessarily have to be a cardinal.

There are only two requirements for becoming pope: being male and being baptized into the Catholic Church. But a non-cardinal hasn't been chosen since 1378, when the selection of Urban VI brought about the Western Schism.

In practice, of course, Catholic laity and even common clergy have no real chance to be elected pope, and the papacy is restricted to cardinals or perhaps a few bishops so you’re right.

It would take a major intervention from God for a good man to be chosen given how the current pope has stacked the deck.

I could be wrong but I feel it’s not yet time for the Good Lord to say “enough “.

7. Mario

Mario Powers

What I love most about Archbishop Schneider is his calm demeanor and focused clarity. There is no beating around the bush with him, yet he conveys peaceful assurance and hope. He is a personification of this passage, I believe, one of hope:

Romans 5: 3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us.

8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

9. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

It would be wonderful if we had a Pope like Archbishop Schneider but it’s been aeons since a non-Cardinal was elected and given that the current pope has stuffed the college with people who think as he does I am resigned to another liberal or just vanilla. Popes can surprise of course but are there enough Burkes to form a solid vote? Several good men are over 80.

I’m intrigued by Brian’s report of rumours from Rome that the pope is gravely ill and plans to retire next year if he lives that long. It would explain the rush of decisions of late.

Sure we can pray for a miracle and divine intervention. Even back in the 80s a friend and I would say that it’s God’s church and only he can fix it. That was then when we had a saintly pope and another saint at the CDF. I think only God can get us out of the mess we’re in. It will happen and I hope it’s in my lifetime.

Michael Pio, Beth B, Blizzard and 5 others like this.