General Election, Life etc.

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Roger Buck, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Roger Buck

Roger Buck Angels

I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the upcoming election.

I'm living in the north at the moment, and not as informed of the south as I wish I were! So comments would help.

But I pray that some kind of coalition involving Renua, FF and independents might be possible to save the Eighth.

What do you think?

Also here is a link to a voting guide for pro-life:

http://prolifecampaign.ie/main/general-election-2016/

Indy likes this.
  2. Scolaire Bocht

Scolaire Bocht Archangels

You have to be suspicious of most of the important politicians at this point I feel. So yes Fianna Fáil are pro-life but their leader Michael Martin is not especially so and I think they would abandon their policy on a whim, after all who thought FG were anything other than pro-life before the last election?

Even Renua is not to be trusted I'd say, Lucinda Creighton is suspiciously popular in the media...

DeGaulle likes this.
  3. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Thanks for the link. No pro-life candidates in my constituency. No Renua candidate here so I'm torn between staying home or turning up and voting anyone but the worst of them.

4. Fatima

Fatima Powers

At this point I will not be concerned about any election until and unless it takes place in November. This is not what God wants us to be focused on. If an election comes, I will choose a person who is best, unless both are corrupt. God gave us this year of Mercy to prepare our souls and make ready our lamps. Politics is a huge distraction to this.

Katfalls and PotatoSack like this.
  5. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Why November? Our General Election is this month, and there is a concerted effort across all political parties to remove the Constitutional Amendment protecting the lives of the unborn. Wouldn't God want us to take the trouble to vote for the candidate most likely to protect His gift of life? Unfortunately, our constituency doesn't have such a candidate so I might well heed your advice and

6. Fatima

Fatima Powers

There surely are life candidates, as it pertains to abortion. Both Rubio, Cruz, Cason to name a few have voted or spoken against abortion, even if they support contraception. While those who want to support others, who have never voted on this issue and have changed their mind for apparent political expediency, I think our Lord would want one to vote on those who have a record of opposing the most diabolical act of abortion. But, from what I can tell, there are a few who want to dismiss all candidates on the basis that they are not 100% pro-life as they support contraception. Well then don't vote in the general elections.

7. Dolours

Dolours Guest

This, Fatima, is the Ireland thread. Our general election (where we vote for a government) is this month. In this country the role of the President is mainly ceremonial, so whoever wins the general election holds all the power.

8. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Okay, I thought you were referring to the US voting going on is the states. Good luck.

9. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Thanks. Maybe you'll spare a prayer that the worst anti-lifers don't gain power. Some of the less hardline would let things stand rather than have to make hard decisions. That's why I'm more inclined to make the effort to vote rather than stay at home.

DeGaulle likes this.
  10. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Between a rock and a hard place. I feel we better get used to this, as it is becoming a Christians norm.

11. padraig

padraig New Member

I wish the Bishops would speak out more. I hate to sund like I am always beating up on the Bishops but if I were a Bishops I would be roaring from the pulpit.

Unlike the Lion of Munster who spoke against the Nazis and risked death by doing so:

Julia and MMarie like this.
  12. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Im voting for 2 independents in my area who have said they are against repealing the 8th. My 3rd preference will go to Fianna Fail because the majority of the party went against Michael Martin on the abortion vote and they have stated they will not support repealing the 8th. I think you have to vote even if its a case of putting in Tweedledee and putting out Tweedledum. We could have another election soon enough if there aren't enough like minded groups to form a coalition. Basically I think vote to cause trouble. Ive had some exchanges with canvassers on the abortion issue. Its important to argue it out with them because that is being fed back to the parties.

Krizevac and DeGaulle like this.
  13. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Roger, thank you for the link. It is very revealing. One can see who favours child-murder, but also those who are so indifferent to the matter that they couldn't be bothered to reply.

14. Indy

Indy Praying

Julia and DeGaulle like this.
  15. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

I'm Voting for a Christian Democrat whom I know to be a tireless advocate for the pro life cause and who campaigned hard for a No vote in the referendum last May. That's my only vote because there's no other pro life candidate in my area apart from a Fine Gael one and I took a pledge never to vote FG again. Cannot in good conscience vote for any candidate who isn't prepared to put their neck on the line.

16. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Would a vote for a pro-life FG candidate not be beneficial? If elected he may be able to influence the party from within.

[I have no political axe to grind-I never voted FG myself, but I no longer consider historical party loyalties of any great consequence].

Julia likes this.
  17. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

I have no party loyalties either, and never have had, but FG threw their supporters under the bus by breaking their pro-life election promises, blatantly and without apology. Besides, a vote for FG is a vote for Enda Kenny and I can't bear to look at his shameless face any longer.

The particular FG candidate in my area, although he claims to be pro life, was not prepared to lose the party whip by voting against the appalling abortion legislation of 2013; so no, I don't believe he would be beneficial in office or influence anybody in a positive way.

18. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Good answer! I hadn't realised the candidate was a sitting TD, and was too slow to take the inference from "... neck on the line". Someone who pays lip-service to being "pro-life" while voting for abortion at the crunch is merely a lying bullshitter (excuse my language but it seems to me the term most appropriate).

Julia, Krizevac and Adoremus like this.
  19. Dolours

Dolours Guest

It's such a cold day I wasn't going to bother voting because I though we had no pro-life candidates. I checked one last time and discovered that the FF candidate is in favour of keeping the 8th, so I made the effort. These days it takes courage for any politician to admit to being pro-life, especially with the vitriol spewed by the pro-abortion side, so I did my bit. Don't know whether he will get elected. The ballot paper was as long as a toilet roll, which seems appropriate these days.

20. Krizevac

Krizevac Archangels

haha! yes, it was as long as a toilet roll, how very appropriate! I checked online for the pro-life candidates, and voted accordingly. I am still very, very bitter about FG's broken pro-life promise. I had never voted for them before and never will again. Our local FF candidate voted against the abortion bill but recently seemed to be in favour of repealing the 8th - he didn't get my vote, although I was going to vote for him till I heard that.

Catholic Democrats got my number 1, the rest I distributed amongst the few independents who were not in favour of repealing the 8th