Fraudulent activity on debit card?

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by DesertStar7, May 15, 2020.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Powers

I sincerely REALLY dislike speculating, or borrowing from trouble as my mother would say. However:

This morning my debit card was closed for suspected "fraudulent activity." (n)

First time ever. :unsure:

Due to COVID-19? Hackers on the prowl?

I phoned the bank. A representative asked me to confirm 3 most recent transactions, 2 of which were small purchases of Catholic products -- including a print periodical from a monastery.

So...is this huge international bank tagging Catholics? :coffee:

I find this a bit too coincidental. But perhaps it is coincidence.

Jo M and AED like this.
  2. BrianK

BrianK Proud2bRC Staff Member

I had my card hacked this week too. Two Amazon purchases that I didn’t make showed up on my bank statement early Wednesday morning. It’s such a common occurrence now no one even bats an eye.

Don_D and DesertStar7 like this.
  3. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Powers

Thank you.

It was the monastery purchase which made me wonder; purchased directly from them. Is the bank monitoring and targeting?

Probably not, but I wondered. :coffee:

Especially in today's climate.

4. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I won't bank with anyone but local credit unions because I despise the customer service of the big banks and like to try to keep my banking local. Plus I have always gotten better rates with them as well.

That said, I had my identity info stolen in a large breech a while back and it wasn't 6 months later my bank card info had been stolen as well. It was the first time for me but it happens.

Some of the smaller online businesses out there have pretty vulnerable security when it comes to protecting customers. One of them was likely hacked I bet.

AED likes this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

Probably. I too bank with a credit union. Also I dont use my debit card very much at all except to get cash. Safer to use bank credit cards for transactions.

Jo M and Don_D like this.
  6. any name you wish

any name you wish Archangels

Mine was also hacked this week; fraudulent purchases were made at a McDonald’s in Pennsylvania (I’m in Arizona) and I had it canceled and a replacement sent.

AED likes this.
  7. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Wow, lots of this going around. Is it really that common? We should just go back to cash IMO.

AED and Jo M like this.
  8. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Yes, me too. The bank called to let us know that a $879.00 purchase attempt which they red flagged. Thank the Lord that they stopped and called cus it would have wiped out my account.

AED and Jo M like this.
  9. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

Used to work in the identify protection industry. There are two types of transactions that MAY flag your account: the first is having multiple SMALL purchases made in items unlike what you've purchased before; and multiple large purchases made within a short period of time. In both examples, having the purchases made outside of your geographic area will usually trigger a flag. The small purchases are suspect because a thief will make some small purchases in order to test the validity of the card numbers. If the purchases go through and didn't trigger anything, then they'll start making big purchases.

Have you purchased religious items from those vendors before? And are those vendors outside of your geographic area?

I recall a case from over a decade ago. Someone had placed an interceptor in the data line between the gas pump and the store. They captured hundreds of debit card numbers with the pins. They used a machine to make fake debit cards, just blank cards with a magnetic strip. They then used a specially modified car where the entire back of the car was a gas tank. They would drive around to other gas stations and buy just $10 of gas. It's a small amount that wouldn't raise any flags when you went over your bank statement. When the car was filled with gasoline, they then drove back to their home station and put the gas in their own underground storage tanks, and then were able to sell this stolen gasoline. Went on for a couple of years.

BrianK, Mary's child and AED like this.