Fr James Martin

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by padraig, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AED

AED Powers

Quite the opposite Dolours. Going to Adoration is needed more than we know. Messages are akin I suppose to consolations. All very nice but the really powerful prayer is the one that brings nothing. Just raw obedience watching one hour with Him.

2. AED

AED Powers

It sounds heavenly. How I miss the old Latin hymns. Here is a "plan" I follow sometimes at Adoration. The Blessed Mother told St Catherine Laboure "tell Him your joys. Tell Him your sorrows. And then listen. If He speaks to you thank Him and if He doesn't speak to you thank Him. ". It is a lovely way to spend the time with Jesus.

3. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

For me the light really came on when I realized that it is the Mass that has been offered up by Priests in conjunction with our plea and prayer to God, during which He has held every single thing together to this point in all time here on this earth not only for the faithful but for ALL mankind. I knew then that I had no choice any longer. I could no longer sit on the fence and ignore the Truth.

This is also why I believe that when John was sent to measure the Temple and the Alter but not the outer court (which this video also speaks about) that this is a very direct message to us of those who do NOT worship God therein that they will be given over to the AC.

sunburst, Booklady, Dolours and 2 others like this.
  4. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

These are appalling heresies. What could be more self-delusional than that a fallen, sinful and utterly intellectually limited creature such as Man could assume to teach his eternal, omnipotent, omniscient Creator, to Whom he owes every moment of his existence? The hubris, pride and arrogance is breathtaking. Does Lundblad think she created herself? Is she going to give God a piece of her mind at her Judgement, tell Him where He went wrong and how He should have done this Creation thing?

The ancient pagans used to say that those whom the gods wished to destroy, they first made mad. Perhaps a similar phenomenon is happening to some of these people, as their False Idols drive them crazy.

sunburst, gracia and AED like this.
  5. David Healy

David Healy St Pio Son

God speaks to us all day and every day through the ordinary events of our lives. We oftentimes don't realise this. I know I am guilty of this, of not being sufficiently attentive to God's communication in my life. We get so busy and caught up in things in our daily lives with it's challenges, demands, frustrations etc. So much so that we miss the fact that through these daily, often hum drum events, God is truly with us and communicating with us. As scripture says God is not in the thunder, the earthquake etc but in the breeze. We can think that for God to communicate with us it must involve dramatic, obvious and loud or bold manifestations. But no. God can do this of course, should He choose but it seems He most often prefers to communicate in a very gentle way. So gentle in fact that if we are not aware of His preferred method of communication we can entirely miss it.

For instance. Every day we see people in need, distress, stress, upset, disappointment, anger, sadness or gripped by addiction or worries. Sadly there is no shortage of people in such predicaments. There may be little we can do to ease their burdens. We cannot give all of these people, say who are homeless, money as we may quickly run out of money and leave our families without. But we can do something; we can smile, say a kind or soothing word, buy them a cup of coffee or tea or a bar of chocolate. We can give the harassed shop worker a smile or pleasant word. We can treat people well. We can comfort someone.

God will sometimes send someone our way who is in need as a way of alleviating their need and also giving us a chance to exercise virtue hopefully. It may be a test for us. Christ is before us in myriad different ways every day. He comes in many disguises. Often doing the seemingly useless tasks or those of apparently little value can be just the ones God wants of us. Eucharistic Adoration is one such thing. To the world it might seem wasted time. Time that could be better spent doing something more "productive". However to God this may be the best way at this time to spend that time. Time spent in Eucharistic Adoration is extremely "productive" and fruitful. For ourselves and others and indeed the whole world.

We often speak of going to mass. But in reality we do not go to mass, we are called there. We are called and we respond. For in truth we are only there at God's good pleasure. If God didn't give us the grace, we wouldn't be there. Same with Adoration. We are called. Which means God wants us there. Call and response. Communication in other words. We can say with Samuel each day "speak Lord, your servant is listening". Will we try tomorrow to listen for the gentle whisper of God during our day when truly He walks with us?

6. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Beautiful, David, thank you. Once, years ago, I had an experience that's hard to explain and I kind of shrugged it off at the time thinking it was my imagination. It was at a time when I was a rote Catholic rather than the cafeteria variety. I use the term rote because I didn't oppose any Church teaching and went through the motions, doing what I thought was just enough to keep me a Catholic in good standing. I was also going through a difficult period in my life.

I was lighting a candle at the Sacred Heart shrine one Sunday after Mass. The shrine was near the tabernacle. Renovations to our church had resulted in the tabernacle being at the side of the Church. Sitting or kneeling in a pew on that side of the church meant turning your back to the tabernacle. Anyway, I lit the candle, said a short prayer and as I turned to leave the church I had a strange feeling best described as a tug at my heartstrings. That stopped me in my tracks, I looked at the statue but it wasn't coming from there. It was coming from the tabernacle. Foolishly, I gave myself a mental shake, and left the church. I've never had a repeat of that experience although I remember it to this day. I firmly believe now that it was Jesus reminding me that he was there in that little tabernacle and reaching out to bring me close to him. But I didn't hang around and told myself that I had imagined it. I try to make up for my foolishness now but I'm not presumptuous enough to expect God to dance to my tune. Maybe people who receive messages responded to the tug at their heartstrings. I envy them.

As to Fr. Martin, the video I posted is mild compared to some others. Anyone still wondering how the our young people have been led astray and doubting that the homosexual agenda is at an advanced stage in the Church should check youtube where he's chatting with people from Jesuit Fordham University. I might post a link to it on the "Signs" thread but not tonight because I've had enough of Fr. Martin for one day. Here's one with statements from him similar to views expressed by Elton John:

7. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Jesus also didn't say anything about paedophiles or electricity or aeroplanes!

DeGaulle likes this.
  8. garabandal

garabandal Powers

The teachings of the Church are very clear from earliest times condemning homosexual practice.

Fr Martin is flatly contradicted by saints and doctors of the Church.

Martin sees gay as a 'virtuous' but the truth is that it is a vice.

Tertullian (160-225): “(such) frenzies of passions – impious both toward the bodies and toward the sexes – beyond the laws of nature, we banish not only from the threshold, but from all shelter of the Church, because they are beyond sins, they are monstrosities.”

St. John Chrysostom (347-407): “But if thou scoff at hearing of hell… remember the burning of Sodom and that conflagration …and consider how great is that sin, to have forced hell to appear even before its time!

St. Augustine (354-430), a doctor of the Catholic Church: “Those offences and shameful acts (of homosexuality) which are contrary to nature are everywhere and at all times to be held in detestation and punished; such were those of the Sodomites, which if nations commit, they should be held guilty of the same crime by the divine law, which has not so made men that they should in that way abuse one another. For even that fellowship which should be between God and us is violated, when that same nature of which He is author is polluted by the perversity of lust.”

Pope St. Gregory the Great, Catholic ‘holy father’ and Doctor (540-604): “Sacred Scripture itself confirms that sulfur evokes the stench of the flesh, as it speaks of the rain of fire and sulfur poured upon Sodom by the Lord. He punished Sodom for the crimes of the flesh, and the very type of punishment He chose emphasized the shame of that crime. For sulfur stinks, and fire burns. So it was just that Sodomites, burning with perverse desires arising from the flesh like stench, should perish by fire and sulfur so that through this just punishment they would realize the evil they had committed, led by a perverse desire.”

Cardinal Peter Damian (1007-1072): “Truly, this vice is never to be compared with any other vice because it surpasses the enormity of all vices.… It defiles everything, stains everything, and pollutes everything. And as for itself, it permits nothing pure, nothing clean, and nothing other than filth… The miserable flesh burns with the heat of lust; the cold mind trembles with the rancor of suspicion; and in the heart of the miserable man chaos boils like Tartarus [Hell]. …In fact, after this most poisonous serpent once sinks its fangs into the unhappy soul, sense is snatched away, memory is borne off, and the sharpness of the mind is obscured. It becomes unmindful of God and even forgetful of itself. This plague undermines the foundation of faith, weakens the strength of hope, and destroys the bond of charity; it takes away justice, subverts fortitude, banishes temperance, and blunts the keenness of prudence… and it expels the whole host of the virtues from the chamber of the human heart and introduces every barbarous vice as if the bolts of the doors were pulled out.”

St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274); author of Summa Theologiae: “If all the sins of the flesh are worthy of condemnation because by them man allows himself to be dominated by that which he has of the animal nature, much more deserving of condemnation are the sins against nature by which man degrades his own animal nature. …Man can sin against nature in two ways. First, he sins against his specific rational nature, acting contrary to reason. In this sense, we can say that every sin is a sin against man’s nature, because it is against man’s right reason… Secondly, man sins against nature when he goes against his generic nature, that is to say, his animal nature. Now, it is evident that, in accord with natural order, the union of the sexes among animals is ordered towards conception. From this it follows that every sexual intercourse that cannot lead to conception is opposed to man’s animal nature.”

St. Bernardine of Siena (1380-1444): “No sin in the world grips the soul as the accursed sodomy; this sin has always been detestable by all those who live according to God… Deviant passion is close to madness; this vice disturbs the intellect, destroys elevation and generosity of soul, brings the mind down from great thoughts to the lowliest, makes the person slothful, irascible, obstinate and obdurate, servile and soft and incapable of anything; furthermore, agitated by an insatiable craving for pleasure, the person follows not reason but frenzy… They become blind and, when their thoughts should soar to high and great things, they are broken down and reduced to vile and useless and putrid things, which could never make them happy… Just as people participate in the glory of God in different degrees, so also in hell some suffer more than others. He who lived with this vice of sodomy suffers more than another, for this is the greatest sin.”

AED and DeGaulle like this.
  9. garabandal

garabandal Powers

The reason I am so concerned about Fr Martin and his ilk is that I believe the Bible and prophecy. He promotes something clearly at odds with church teaching and tradition and which is going to have serious consequences for this generation.

Sodom & Gomorrah were real places and destroyed by fire. Notice what St John Chrysostom wrote about it as a 'conflagration' that brought hell to earth before its time. We need to oppose this sin at all costs or we and our children are going to see fire fall from the sky. Of course this is not the only reason for punishment as man is wallowing in the filth of sin. But our society has accepted the LGBT lie hook and sinker and our children are indoctrinated into believing that filthy practices are acceptable - no they are detestable in the sight of God. Christian tradition tells us this is one of the four sins that cries to heaven for justice.

St. John Chrysostom (347-407): “But if thou scoff at hearing of hell… remember the burning of Sodom and that conflagration …and consider how great is that sin, to have forced hell to appear even before its time!

Notice Sister Lucia's description of the chastisement that sounds even worse than that which devoured the 5 ancient cities.

"The tip of the spear as a flame unlatches and touches the axis of the earth. It shudders. Mountains, cities, towns, and villages with their inhabitants are buried. The sea, the rivers, and the clouds emerge from their limits, overflowing and bringing with them in a whirlwind houses and people in numbers that are not possible to count. It is the purification of the world as it plunges into sin. Hatred and ambition cause the destructive war!"

Akita prophecy too speaks of a chastisement of fire like the one that rained down of Sodom & Gomorroah. The sins of the flesh bring fire from the sky in the judgement of God.

"If men do not repent and better themselves, the Father will inflict a terrible punishment on all humanity. It will be a punishment greater than the deluge, such as one that will never have been seen before. Fire will fall from the sky and will wipe out a great part of humanity, the good as well as the bad, sparing neither priests nor faithful. The survivors will find themselves so desolate that they will envy the dead. The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by My Son. Each day recite the prayers of the Rosary. With the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the Bishops, and the priests."

AED and DeGaulle like this.
  10. any name you wish

any name you wish Archangels

Soooooooooooooo.....I moved to start grad school last semester and entered RCIA on campus. If I hadn't moved, I was going to be confirmed last Easter. Now I'm looking at Easter 2018. I would take this in good stride but today, the initiation day for RCIA (after having attended last semester, which didn't count since I started in the middle of the year, apparently), Fr. said that we'd be using one of Fr. James Martin's books for the 'class', the one about encountering Jesus, instead of something like the catechism. Also, someone else said that Francis was who had brought them to RCIA because of his 'compassion'. I'm asking for prayers so that I don't throw a chair at these people. There's an oratory in town that does the TLM, I'm thinking of just writing them and going there instead.

sunburst, HeavenlyHosts and DeGaulle like this.
  11. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Jesus did indirectly mention homosexuality. This vice was already condemned by Mosaic Law. Our Lord said he hadn't come to change this Law, but to fulfill it, but with one exception (divorce) which he made even stricter. The rest went without actually saying. That homosexuality was abominable needed no more saying than that the sky was blue.

Martin, to his credit, recently condemned abortion, but by his own reasoning, since I am unaware that Christ specifically mentioned abortion, he has no reason to condemn it.

12. davidtlig

davidtlig Guest

The problem with all these comments is that they criticize Fr Martin for effectively saying that homosexual acts are not sinful. But he does not say that. He says that gay people should be treated the same as non-gay people. That is in keeping with the Catholic Catechism. And I'm sorry, but the comments on homophobia by Bishop McElroy seem to me to be not far off the mark, judging by some of the posted comments here.

It is true that Fr Martin doesn't preach about a need for chastity in these situations but that is a separate issue. I think that is an area which maybe some criticisms of his approach might well be appropriate.

13. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Do you honestly believe one can compromise with the likes of 'Gay Pride'? Do you believe that an honourable compromise with the Catholic Church is the final intention of these groups?

You are already throwing accusations of 'homphobia' about, although without any specifics. Perhaps you might realise that, without such specifics, such accusations amount to nothing other than crude smears, which seem to have no purpose other than to discourage people from expressing their opinion. Do you consider doctrinal- or scripture-based criticism of homosexuality as homophobic, because that is all I can read here?

I hope you will answer my questions and back up your defamatory accusations or alternatively withdraw them.

14. davidtlig

davidtlig Guest

Do you honestly believe one can compromise with the likes of 'Gay Pride'?

No.

Do you believe that an honourable compromise with the Catholic Church is the final intention of these groups?

No.

You are already throwing accusations of 'homphobia' about, although without any specifics. Perhaps you might realise that, without such specifics, such accusations amount to nothing other than crude smears, which seem to have no purpose other than to discourage people from expressing their opinion. Do you consider doctrinal- or scripture-based criticism of homosexuality as homophobic, because that is all I can read here?

I find this response somewhat aggressive and accusatory, DeGaulle. I feel this kind of response does indeed discourage people from expressing their opinion. I merely stated that the responses in this thread seemed to be of the kind that Bishop McElroy was criticizing. My comments were not necessarily referring to your posts but maybe you thought they did apply.

15. AED

AED Powers

Yes. I share your concern. For all intents and purposes we are living in Sodom here in the US and the rest of the west. Only God's mercy has restrained the chastisement. I am hoping and praying for the equivalent of 10 righteous men.

sterph likes this.
  16. AED

AED Powers

Do it!! Don't stay with these people. God bless them and send them the graces they so desperately need but go where the truth is being proclaimed. Good luck. I will pray for you at Mass this morning.

17. AED

AED Powers

Dolours this is a beautiful incident from your life. What it tells me is that Jesus called you to Himself and now you are with Him. It may have taken some time but now you are with Him. Any regret can be inspiration to make many acts of love for His Sacred Heart. He is waiting in the Tabernacle and you go there to find Him. It is lovely.

Dolours likes this.
  18. sunburst

sunburst Powers

Don't even think twice, get out of there as fast as you can. I know of many teens who attend the Latin Mass every day at the Catholic school in Still River Ma. these are the ones who would give their very lives for the truths of the Catholic faith.
    Any name you wish, I would like to call you Soldier, because that is what you need to be in these times. You will be in my prayers. Be strong,...

sterph, any name you wish and AED like this.
  19. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

So, according to one or two people here the current pope is the second coming.

Father Martin´s words and actions are perfectly in line with 2,000 years of church tradition.

He has urged us to treat gay people with kindness BUT he has also clearly stated that homossexual acts are disordered.

Welcome to...

BIZARRO WORLD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DeGaulle likes this.
  20. sunburst

sunburst Powers